Samsung C32JG5x, bad blur especially on dark scenes.

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
BoogieMan

Samsung C32JG5x, bad blur especially on dark scenes.

Post by BoogieMan » 05 Aug 2020, 20:56

Hi there, I just found this spiffy website and the test at https://www.testufo.com/ghosting and it has been very helpful verifying my concerns.

I recently got a Samsung C32JG5 32" and I immediately noticed some troubling ghosting, especially in darker scenes. Especially rapidly moving areas of black.

On the UFO test, the top UFO has a prominent black ghost trailing the red hull, with the ghost of the cabin hard to discern. The middle one has a slight ghost but it's very hard to see. The bottom one is like the top one, but far better but not as good as the middle.

I have an EVGA RTX 2070 and I have just spent an hour adjusting settings on both the monitor and the NVIDIA control panel and nothing has any effect of the level of ghost. I would have though maybe brightness, sharpness, contrast, and response time would have done something, but no, nothing at all. It's connected through DisplayPort 1.2. I also tried changing the resolution down to 1080p and 60Hz refresh, again, zero impact on the ghosting. The *only* thing that seems to make any difference is enabling the eyestrain reducing mode, but that also gives is an odd yellowish brown color that isn't very appealing for gaming.

Does anyone have any advice? Opinions on the monitor?

I'll attach an image. The camera on my phone sort of made it look like there is a bad blockiness to the image but that's just the camera, look at the trail behind the ship.

Thanks for reading!
Attachments
SamsungC32JG5x-2.jpg
SamsungC32JG5x-2.jpg (960.23 KiB) Viewed 3173 times

jorimt

Re: Samsung C32JG5x, bad blur especially on dark scenes.

Post by jorimt » 06 Aug 2020, 15:09

BoogieMan wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 20:56
On the UFO test, the top UFO has a prominent black ghost trailing the red hull
VA panels are known for black smearing in darker shades. It's just the nature of that panel type, with some VA panels having less dark smear than others, but most of them do to one degree or another.

Typically, IPS and TN types do not have this, but they don't have nearly as good contrast ratios either, so you must pick your poison.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)