Invertion Uniformity Test Extended Version

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
rane94

Invertion Uniformity Test Extended Version

Post by rane94 » 11 Aug 2020, 05:29

hi
i bought IPS monitor and when im doin this test: https://www.testufo.com/inversion#patte ... ity2&ppf=5
the screen is flickering (only on the gray image) but the flickering is not like fast flickering, its like flickers once every half a second
is this normal or the screen should flicker like crazy or not flickering at all? should i be worry about it? all monitors flickers the same with this test?

what is the normal flicker i should see there?

please help me guys...

thank you in advance

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Invertion Uniformity Test Extended Version

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Aug 2020, 13:58

This is a fairly little-used test, but it has some interesting colorization artifacts on some panels.

The test is designed to swap between common voltage inversion patterns once a second. Monochrome flicker once a second is normal, but it is the colored flickering you should be looking for.

It is generally not an RMA-able thing as inversion artifacts are often model-specific and panel-specific, except for major abberations.

If you don't see it during normal gaming (chess board textures in solid colors) or things like text scrolling (text going rough-looking), then it is generally something you don't have to worry about.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rane94

Post by rane94 » 11 Aug 2020, 15:01

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 13:58
This is a fairly little-used test, but it has some interesting colorization artifacts on some panels.

The test is designed to swap between common voltage inversion patterns once a second. Monochrome flicker once a second is normal, but it is the colored flickering you should be looking for.

It is generally not an RMA-able thing as inversion artifacts are often model-specific and panel-specific, except for major abberations.

If you don't see it during normal gaming (chess board textures in solid colors) or things like text scrolling (text going rough-looking), then it is generally something you don't have to worry about.
i will try my best to understand what you're saying Chief:

1. my friend have the same monitor but when he open the test he says the flickers are like rapid (like 15-20 flickers per second) not like me like 1-2 every second so my question is if its normal if the Monochrome Flicker you mentioned is related to this question?

2. what colored flickering means? if i see like purple/green color on one or more of the bars? thats happened on my old TN but on my IPS monitor (2k 165hz 27inch) when i Full Screen the test with the Extended Version the color of the bars are not changing like my old TN, on the IPS all looks the same (same thing for the moving checkboard) only the rapid flickers compare to once per second that worries me, so im good chief? because i have no idea what this test does i just compare the flickering to my friend monitor which is the same model as i have right now, your thoughts?

thank you and waiting for your answer Chief

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Aug 2020, 15:20

rane94 wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 15:01
1. my friend have the same monitor but when he open the test he says the flickers are like rapid (like 15-20 flickers per second) not like me like 1-2 every second so my question is if its normal if the Monochrome Flicker you mentioned is related to this question?
Framerate fluctuations. Make sure TestUFO is a green VALID (framerate=Hz) and using single monitor (or primary monitor only), no browser windows.
rane94 wrote:
2. what colored flickering means? if i see like purple/green color on one or more of the bars? thats happened on my old TN but on my IPS monitor (2k 165hz 27inch) when i Full Screen the test with the Extended Version the color of the bars are not changing like my old TN, on the IPS all looks the same (same thing for the moving checkboard) only the rapid flickers compare to once per second that worries me, so im good chief? because i have no idea what this test does i just compare the flickering to my friend monitor which is the same model as i have right now, your thoughts?
If it's always a green VALID, then please make sure your monitor is not frameskipping at www.testufo.com/frameskipping
Since that is a pre-requisite before trying the inversion uniformity tests.

I'm pretty sure that it's nothing to worry about. There are niche cases of concern (software based black frame insertion) but if you are not seeing inversion artifacts in normal material, most people are unaffected by the inversion algorithms used by the gaming monitor when there are no inversion artifacts in everyday use.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rane94

Post by rane94 » 13 Aug 2020, 13:22

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 15:20
rane94 wrote:
Framerate fluctuations. Make sure TestUFO is a green VALID (framerate=Hz) and using single monitor (or primary monitor only), no browser windows.
rane94 wrote:
If it's always a green VALID, then please make sure your monitor is not frameskipping at www.testufo.com/frameskipping
Since that is a pre-requisite before trying the inversion uniformity tests.

I'm pretty sure that it's nothing to worry about. There are niche cases of concern (software based black frame insertion) but if you are not seeing inversion artifacts in normal material, most people are unaffected by the inversion algorithms used by the gaming monitor when there are no inversion artifacts in everyday use.
i did the frameskipping test and i see all the white squares running around mega fast but in this test: https://www.testufo.com/inversion#patte ... mity&ppf=5 with the only 2 gray bars (not the extended Version) i see both of them green (solid green they are not changing colors) but on the extended Version all gray... what does it means?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Aug 2020, 13:15

rane94 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 13:22
i did the frameskipping test and i see all the white squares running around mega fast but in this test: https://www.testufo.com/inversion#patte ... mity&ppf=5 with the only 2 gray bars (not the extended Version) i see both of them green (solid green they are not changing colors) but on the extended Version all gray... what does it means?
This is mostly "under-the-hood" stuff:

The monitor is switching between to different alternative LCD voltage inversion patterns/algorithms, based on the amount of voltage unbalance the current screen content is displaying. If you don't understand this explanation, study up on "LCD inversion algorithms", "Pixel walk" and "LCD inversion artifacts" (artifacts from normally-invisible voltage inversion algorithms).

It may be more of an issue if you use software-based black frame insertion in emulators, where it might lead to image retention effects from defeated inversion algorithms.

It's nothing to worry about, unless you see problems inside your games such as unusually strong chessboard pixel patterns showing up in solid colors that are supposed to be solid, etc. Fortunately IPS is less prone visible inversion artifacts to that than TN LCDs.

rane94

Post by rane94 » 14 Aug 2020, 20:17

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 13:15
rane94 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 13:22
This is mostly "under-the-hood" stuff:

The monitor is switching between to different alternative LCD voltage inversion patterns/algorithms, based on the amount of voltage unbalance the current screen content is displaying. If you don't understand this explanation, study up on "LCD inversion algorithms", "Pixel walk" and "LCD inversion artifacts" (artifacts from normally-invisible voltage inversion algorithms).

It may be more of an issue if you use software-based black frame insertion in emulators, where it might lead to image retention effects from defeated inversion algorithms.

It's nothing to worry about, unless you see problems inside your games such as unusually strong chessboard pixel patterns showing up in solid colors that are supposed to be solid, etc. Fortunately IPS is less prone visible inversion artifacts to that than TN LCDs.
what do you mean by "under the hood" stuff? like maybe someone mess/modify the voltage on the monitor?
i was reading about the LCD invertion algorithms but didnt undersand it 100%
so the normal condition suppose to be static gray color on the 2 bars test not green am i right Chief?

because on the 2 bar test (https://www.testufo.com/inversion#patte ... mity&ppf=5) i see permanent green bars
and on the Extented Version(https://www.testufo.com/inversion#patte ... ity2&ppf=5) i see 4 gray bars?
p.s.
the monitor cost me almost 750 dollars and i dont want to be stuck with defected monitor

your thoughts on my questions Chief?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Aug 2020, 12:33

rane94 wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 20:17
What do you mean by "under the hood" stuff? like maybe someone mess/modify the voltage on the monitor?
This is not the correct thought process for the way things work. It's more of interest to electronics engineer, like those people who understand that Techmind article (linked from the TestUFO).

If you don't have any visible inversion artifacts from the inversion algorithms (don't confuse algorithms /versus/ artifacts from algorithms) in any games, then your monitor is fine. Don't worry about it.