Frame Skipping confirmed or ?

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
StrongForce

Frame Skipping confirmed or ?

Post by StrongForce » 17 Nov 2020, 06:13

Hello, I have been trying to figure out why I experience some really strong stutters sometimes, and during my research I re-read a review about my screen the Asus PG279 IPS 144hz (overclockable to 165 supposedly).

And in that review they do mention your frame skipping test which I'm familiar with because I also have a Korean IPS 1440 that I OC to 95hz without issues, but the thing is, I always assumed that the 165hz on that screen would work since they pretty much advertise it, and I don't remember testing it when I first got it, just figured out the 165hz and went with it.

So long story short, I ran the test and noticed some frames are missing, the black squares in between the white ones.. so I kept lowering the screen refresh rate until I went back to 144 since I kept having the same problem..

Then I thought, let's try it at 144hz too to make sure there I don't get that issue, and to my surprise, I had it I took many pictures so its not just 1 random, here are 4 pictures I took

So I'm very confused, is my screen faulty ? could it be why I have been experiencing those heavy stutters at times ?

I also was wondering because I get the stutter message sometimes when doing the test, I have alot of tabs open in chrome so.. but I was always waiting until it's green, could the instability cause frame skippin ? (despite the test showing the green light).

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attachments
freamskip1.jpg
freamskip1.jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
freamskip2.jpg
freamskip2.jpg (18.25 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
freamskip4.jpg
freamskip4.jpg (275.6 KiB) Viewed 4100 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Frame Skipping confirmed or ?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Nov 2020, 16:52

That definitely looks like frameskipping. Though better analysis would occur if you can lengthen your camera exposure (dim the screen brightness to help longer camera exposures to capture more squares).

The PG279 is not known to be a frameskipper, so this may illustrate a weak link somewhere.

The most common culprit: Are you using multimonitor? Different-Hz multimonitor has often caused major problems with stutter/frameskipping because Windows is a single-Hz compositor.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

StrongForce

Post by StrongForce » 17 Nov 2020, 17:35

Thanks for the response Chief, turns out it was an anomaly caused by Chrome not able to handle many tabs well, in Edge it worked perfectly fine, so I bumped the OC back to 165 and took 30's pictures without a frame skip, false alarm !!

And no don't have multi monitor at the moment, didn't know about that interesting.

As for the stutter, I think it may just be my CPU I'm running a [email protected]

Also I purchased a certified DP 1.4 cable the other day because I read that a bad cable can cause that ..and that apparently the cable they ship the monitor with isn't that great, so far it seems a little bit better but might be placebo, will have to test more.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Nov 2020, 14:54

StrongForce wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 17:35
Thanks for the response Chief, turns out it was an anomaly caused by Chrome not able to handle many tabs well, in Edge it worked perfectly fine, so I bumped the OC back to 165 and took 30's pictures without a frame skip, false alarm !!
Normally Chrome is able to self-detect stutters, but occasionally that fails (especially if the frameskip occured at the DWM level instead of Chrome level).

Also, some setups of Chrome has more problems, perhaps because GPU acceleration is turned off (chrome://gpu). This can't easily be automatically detected, unfortunately.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

StrongForce

Post by StrongForce » 19 Nov 2020, 04:47

I see, interesting, thanks for your input, I'll know for next time, best regards !