4k/160 micro-stuttering, frame skipping test passed

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
leo2kp

4k/160 micro-stuttering, frame skipping test passed

Post by leo2kp » 01 Jul 2021, 12:42

Hello everyone, first post and I have a question about the frame skip test.

Is frame skipping something that always happens, or can it happen randomly when more data is pushed through the cable? Could that result in random micro-stuttering?

For those of you using 4k monitors at higher than 144hz refresh (160hz for me), what cable are you using? I'm using a iVanka 8k/60 4k/144hz 32.4gbps cable and have noticed some micro-stuttering at above 144hz even though the GPU doesn't report a drop in framerate.

I did the frame skip test and it passed, but maybe the game is pushing more data causing it to skip?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: 4k/160 micro-stuttering, frame skipping test passed

Post by RealNC » 01 Jul 2021, 13:31

The data rate at which the video signal goes through the cable is constant and doesn't change. Games or applications or even the OS itself does not affect the video signal transfer speed. It's always the same and equals the pixel clock of the current display mode.

So if the display is not skipping frames in a particular video mode, then it's guaranteed that it will not skip frames in that mode regardless of whether a game is running or not.

With that being said, VRR could still cause frame skips. Are you using VRR? (Meaning g-sync or freesync.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

leo2kp

Post by leo2kp » 01 Jul 2021, 19:03

Thank you for the reply, very helpful!

Yes I'm using GSync and VSync in this particular game (gsync enabled in the drivers, vsync enabled in the game). I've learned today, however, that alt-tabbing out/in is resolving the issue temporarily at least. Yesterday it didn't do that while I was alt-tabbing out to check GPU-Z metrics, so I'm leaning toward driver or game patch issues, something just not lining up under the hood.

I will also note that LG replied to my question to them about 160hz framerate @ 4k and they assured me that a DP 1.4 cable should work fine for that kind of performance.

Thank you again, I appreciate the explanation!!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jul 2021, 11:29

leo2kp wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 19:03
(gsync enabled in the drivers, vsync enabled in the game)
The best way is:

1. G-SYNC *and* VSYNC enabled in drivers
2. VSYNC disabled in game menus

This is not always critical, but some games have logic that changes with VSYNC setting, and some games stutter less with this specific combo of settings.

However, VRR will not fix disk-access stutter.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Jul 2021, 11:16

Also check the RTSS frametime graph for single-frame spikes.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.