Inversion artifacts on the pattern uniformity test

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
notnot

Inversion artifacts on the pattern uniformity test

Post by notnot » 08 Jul 2021, 10:40

So I got a new 27" 1440p 165hz IPS monitor (lenovo g27q-20) and I get inversion artifacts on the testufo test "inversion artifacts (checkerboard pattern)" and then selecting "Inversion Uniformity, Extended Version."

The bottom two bars flicker between grey, brown and dark blue. These inversion artifacts also appear in games on certain surfaces in the form of faint vertical lines but not all the time, they're not constantly visible. The test page linked below also makes static horizontal lines appear through the ENTIRE display area, most noticeable in the Chrome address bar and Windows taskbar. However, I noticed that dropping the hz of the monitor makes the horizontal lines more and more faint as you go lower, when dropped to the lowest hz available on the NVCP, so 60hz in this case, the horizontal lines disappear entirely.

I was wondering if this is something inherent to this monitor or unit specific? Anything I can do to make them disappear at 165hz? Setting the monitor to 60hz fixes it but obviously I don't want to play games at 60hz on a 165hz monitor.