MSI Afterburner causing refresh rate test to fail

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
Kurt

MSI Afterburner causing refresh rate test to fail

Post by Kurt » 05 Aug 2021, 00:53

I originally went to the refresh rate test on testufo.

It kept failing the test. It took a while, but I found out msi afterburner was the culprit. When I close it from memory, the test works just fine. Here are two screenshots, both taken in Microsoft Edge. The passing test is before MSI afterburner is open, the failed test is after I open MSI afterburner (you can see it in bottom right corner.)
Attachments
Desktop Screenshot 2021.08.05 - 00.46.50.54.png
Desktop Screenshot 2021.08.05 - 00.46.50.54.png (135.48 KiB) Viewed 11467 times
Desktop Screenshot 2021.08.05 - 00.46.01.64.png
Desktop Screenshot 2021.08.05 - 00.46.01.64.png (120.84 KiB) Viewed 11467 times

casual_platypus8

Re: MSI Afterburner causing refresh rate test to fail

Post by casual_platypus8 » 20 Sep 2021, 18:15

Just wanted to confirm this also happened for me. Wanted to test my new VG259QM, but I kept getting stutters. Disabling MSI afterburner also fixed the issue for me. Thanks!

casual_platypus8

Post by casual_platypus8 » 21 Sep 2021, 21:09

Update: disabling Afterburner removed the large, recurring stutters; however, even though my frametime graph remains in the green 99.99% of the time, the UFO Ghosting test still reports stuttering. It seems the two are not experiencing the same stuttering. I am at a loss of what to do.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Sep 2021, 22:19

casual_platypus8 wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 18:15
Just wanted to confirm this also happened for me. Wanted to test my new VG259QM, but I kept getting stutters. Disabling MSI afterburner also fixed the issue for me. Thanks!
If you are using overlay graphics and you are using an AMD card, there's a known latency issue with onscreen-display overlay.

Do you have any RGB software (keyboard) running?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Crazyness

Post by Crazyness » 22 Sep 2021, 08:31

casual_platypus8 wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 21:09
Update: disabling Afterburner removed the large, recurring stutters; however, even though my frametime graph remains in the green 99.99% of the time, the UFO Ghosting test still reports stuttering. It seems the two are not experiencing the same stuttering. I am at a loss of what to do.
1 of the workarounds is 2 disable or untick power and gpu voltage in the settings>monitoring tab..
it is a 50-50% fix 4 ingame stutters when using AB
so maybe it will work also on your issue,so you should try that..

second you should try is..if you can not game without afterburner..
just apply profile if you have configured some or just ramp up d fans or whatever you want 2 do
and just click on the little x and close application..
profile should be "on" or every other change you did..
even thou msi ab app is closed..

also 1 more thing..it also depends on your internet speed,cached infos from browser etc..
,so 4 example you have 40 tabs opened like me,
you need 2 wait for them 2 load up..so it can cause stutters
if its only 1 tab active..try solutions above

casual_platypus8

Post by casual_platypus8 » 23 Sep 2021, 18:34

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 22:19
casual_platypus8 wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 18:15
If you are using overlay graphics and you are using an AMD card, there's a known latency issue with onscreen-display overlay.

Do you have any RGB software (keyboard) running?
Thanks for the reply, Chief!

I'm using Nvidia:
i7 10700k
16gb ram

And I have no RGB software running fortunately. I plan to do a fresh install here soon; when I do, I'll try to take note of how the performance is impacted as I install programs to try and figure out if background programs are the culprit.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Oct 2021, 14:40

casual_platypus8 wrote:
21 Sep 2021, 21:09
Stuttering in TestUFO is definitely a different cause of stutters -- web browsers are super sensitive to stutters. You have to close ALL browser tabs except only for TestUFO, it should be the only window running.

The TestUFO animation time graph is an excellent diagnosis of periodic background processing surges that interferes with graphics rendering, which is what the red peaks show. But the background processing from other browser tabs is also a cause. Which is why I recommend animation time graph be run as the only tab, only app running, so it isolate to your computer's background software (system tray etc). Disable all web browser extensions too.

Then thereafter, cyclic patterns of red peaks means some background processing is probably affecting consistent frame delivery of your foreground software (Inefficiently-written keyboard RGB software and malware scanners, as well as HUD graphics overlay software, etc)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!