Even rendering 1/4 of the pixels looks decent if you just black out the other pixels

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
iopq

Even rendering 1/4 of the pixels looks decent if you just black out the other pixels

Post by iopq » 19 Dec 2021, 05:17

if you run this at high frame rates, you would see a lower brightness version of the image

It's kind of like combining black frame insertion with rendering only 1/4 of the image per frame. So a game that runs at 60 FPS can display this at 240 FPS - of course the monitor has to be aware of this and turn up the brightness for the pixels knowing they would only be lit up 1/4 of the time (but there would be some persistence)

but it doesn't look amazing when I make a gif because of frame rates, I wonder if I can see this in action in the test ufo

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Even rendering 1/4 of the pixels looks decent if you just black out the other pixels

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Dec 2021, 02:46

We already have an interlace version: www.testufo.com/interlace

Your description is actually a form of 2-dimensional interlacing, and NVIDIA is already doing something roughly similar with Temporally Dense Ray Tracing:
https://research.nvidia.com/publication ... -Dense-Ray
(TestUFO is credit in Page 2 of this NVIDIA research paper...)

Also, several 4K DLP projectors sort of do this, to generate a 4K image out of a 1080p DLP chip. They shift the whole DLP chip laterally something like 240 times a second to create 4K 60Hz out of a 1080p DLP chip.

I should be able to create a TestUFO something like what you describe -- though there's a queue of TestUFO changes to do.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

iopq

Re: Even rendering 1/4 of the pixels looks decent if you just black out the other pixels

Post by iopq » 26 Dec 2021, 06:22

Part of the motivation of making the post is that the interlaced version already looks good at 60 FPS. That is, until you scroll vertically and it's missing details. I'm guessing it's showing the details based on the exact pixel, but the location of the UFO moved so you show the alternating pixels - which are the same pixels every time in certain frame rates

Technically, you could show the part that wasn't rendered last frame, regardless of the position of the UFO in the frame, but then you would jump two pixels in one frame which might ruin the fluidity of the motion

You're doing

0 1
x x

next frame is

x x
2 3

If you move exactly an odd multiple of 60 pixels down for the image itself, you will only see 0 1 twice

I guess if you just do it this way:

0 x

2 x

Then it won't be as noticeable (the blocks above and below have the alternating pattern, not the same pattern), but you will still be displaying some of the same pixels twice anyway? I'm not sure if it would actually look better

Naveronasis

Post by Naveronasis » 27 Dec 2021, 03:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 02:46
Also, several 4K DLP projectors sort of do this, to generate a 4K image out of a 1080p DLP chip. They shift the whole DLP chip laterally something like 240 times a second to create 4K 60Hz out of a 1080p DLP chip.
I just ordered a Optoma UHD38 which has 240hz support for 1080p and 60hz 4k. It claims "true 4k" so whatever is going on I will be putting it to the test. I also have a bunch of CRT and a Viewsonic Blurbusters approved 27" 240hz display as well... Expect some fun posts soon.