Suggestion for testufo.com landing page

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
prod1G

Suggestion for testufo.com landing page

Post by prod1G » 07 May 2022, 11:30

I keep noticing that a bunch of yt-reviewers, either small or big, are using the ghosting test wrong(?).
if they know about the site and use it, they either stay on 'compare frame rates' and pursuit, or go to 'ghosting - pursuit camera' and just film head on.

so guideing these, that dont really know where to go or what to do, would benefit all.

i suggest to make 'ghosting - pursuit camera' the landing page, default to 1440pps and apply a pop-up that:
- reminds of warming up the screen (i noticed how ips screens take like 2 hours to really get to their proper response times)
- explains how to pursuit with a camera or phone, maybe with a small picture of instructions
- encourages to film at 1920/2400pps if possible, when being on or above 240hz (IMO 960pps is very misleading of ghosting/overshoot performance in real world scenarios)
VG259QM the GOAT

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: Suggestion for testufo.com landing page

Post by Discorz » 26 May 2022, 02:20

I agree with you. Had something like this written down as a suggestion too.

As I started to collected all the ufos I noticed a large percentage of people don't do the test correctly - they either do static camera recording or they use default "Compare Frame Rates UFO" page which doesn't have the sync track for validating tracking accuracy... So a lot those recordings go down the drain.

Putting instruction link above the test is not enough. I'd note in red, bold letters: "static recording is not accurate, pursuit the ufo instead", or even tuck in a fancy animation with a little camera or eye tracking the ufo with Hz/4 note on top, or something like that. Basically just to eliminate the assumption of static recording for unfamiliar users. Although I'm aware this does not cover the whole story - in some rare cases static recording can work and it can be used to demonstrate stroboscopic effect and 4 frame capture isn't always necessary.

The default 960 speed is comfortable to track but can be quite misleading for gamers with high demands, ∼2000, or ∼3000+ would be better in this regard, but much harder to track. Also higher speeds have less rounding errors, see here.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup