Does Supersampling a Game Improve Motion Clarity With Low Persistence Displays?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
jman54

Does Supersampling a Game Improve Motion Clarity With Low Persistence Displays?

Post by jman54 » 22 Apr 2024, 02:29

I was messing with an hdcrt, a super fine pitch Sony, and I noticed that it seemed like the motion quality was ever so slightly improved when downscaling from 4k and even from 8k. Finding a game to actually work at 1080i was challenging but I found Dead or Alive 5 was able to so I am certain it isn't something to do with scaling problems. The static image differences were nonexistent outside of distant vegetation when comparing 4k vs 8k but the sharpness difference of the background while spinning in circles seemed noticeable to me, albeit extremely small.

Supermodel_Evelynn

Re: Does Supersampling a Game Improve Motion Clarity With Low Persistence Displays?

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 22 Apr 2024, 11:11

super sampling improves anti aliasing it's how AA was designed back in the days , this is the Original Anti Aliasing method so yes it improves motion clarity in the sense there is no more jaggies.

I mean it removes jaggies without introducing the nasty blur of TAA