100+ stuck pixels appeared suddenly on MSI G274QPF E2

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ranskrevez

100+ stuck pixels appeared suddenly on MSI G274QPF E2

Post by ranskrevez » 30 Apr 2024, 11:43

This thread viewtopic.php?t=5530 is the closest thing i found to my issue, but it still doesn't cover spontaneousness and volume of my case.

There are 100+ stuck pixels of various colors that appear ONLY on black or very dark backgrounds, every other color there isn't a single malfunctioning pixel. Which is weird because, as I understand, stuck sub-pixels should cause discoloration on other backgrounds.

Monitor is 2 months in use, and I like to think I'd have noticed sooner if it was gradual, as I usually use dark themes and frequently encounter black loading screens.
The way they appeared is: I got a new gamepad, installed some very chinese software for it(their global version drivers didn't work, I had to dig through their chinese site), installed and launched an older(2008) racing game, that's when I noticed the broken pixels. After that, my AMD gpu(RX7800XT) software refused to respond even after a pc reboot, so I had to reinstall it. This makes me think that this sequence of events somehow damaged the monitor.

I tried RGB flashing for 30 mins, UDpixel for couple hours and "massaging" to no avail

It's under 1 year reseller only warranty in my country, which requires shipping to other city to their service center, where they can deem it non warranty worthy for whatever reason, say "these pixels aren't even dead lmao" or fix it poorly. So it's a pain in the ass I don't want to deal with

At this point I'm just interested in what the hell happened and why there's no response to usual stuck pixels troubleshooting. Any ideas?

imgur album that I can't post a link: https://imgur.com/a/WSGYCm1

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 100+ stuck pixels appeared suddenly on MSI G274QPF E2

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Apr 2024, 20:17

ranskrevez wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 11:43
This thread viewtopic.php?t=5530 is the closest thing i found to my issue, but it still doesn't cover spontaneousness and volume of my case.

There are 100+ stuck pixels of various colors that appear ONLY on black or very dark backgrounds, every other color there isn't a single malfunctioning pixel. Which is weird because, as I understand, stuck sub-pixels should cause discoloration on other backgrounds.
That is VERY weird -- normally they show in clusters.

Was there a shock (thermal or concussion or electrical static shock), that might have precipitated a mass appearance of stuck pixels? In theory, poor electronics circuit design may pass through an electrical surge into overvoltage to various thin film transistors leading to stuck pixels -- but usually that should fry the power supply before the voltage reaches individual pixels.

Now, this is a longshot, but...
Occasionally, I've seen it from corruption of screen memory, which was only fixed by unplugging the monitor and doing a factory reset -- but the patterns of screen memory corruption is usually different from this. But the suddenness of this, combined by the ease of doing a quick unplug/factory reset -- may solve monitor memory corruption issues that look like dead pixels. Often monitors use memory based framebuffers that are mathed together (e.g. past-refresh-cycle overdrive history), and some abberation may have corrupted one of those, or such -- but usually it's a repeating pattern of stuck pixels (memory cells) and not a random dead-pixel-style pattern.

If not fixable by a unplug/factory reset, then definitely RMA time.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 30 Apr 2024, 20:19

How do you know that it's not the video card giving up the fritz?
Have you tried the monitor on another computer? You don't have a laptop available to hook the monitor to via HDMI?

Protip: If you have a USB type C to HDMI adapter, (or one going through a type C USB hub, like one of those Anker models) you can probably get your monitor to display your phone screen through your phone's type C port, although the display may look like an extended cloned one, you can use that.

ranskrevez

Post by ranskrevez » 30 Apr 2024, 21:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 20:17

Was there a shock (thermal or concussion or electrical static shock), that might have precipitated a mass appearance of stuck pixels? In theory, poor electronics circuit design may pass through an electrical surge into overvoltage to various thin film transistors leading to stuck pixels -- but usually that should fry the power supply before the voltage reaches individual pixels.

Now, this is a longshot, but...
Occasionally, I've seen it from corruption of screen memory, which was only fixed by unplugging the monitor and doing a factory reset -- but the patterns of screen memory corruption is usually different from this. But the suddenness of this, combined by the ease of doing a quick unplug/factory reset -- may solve monitor memory corruption issues that look like dead pixels. Often monitors use memory based framebuffers that are mathed together (e.g. past-refresh-cycle overdrive history), and some abberation may have corrupted one of those, or such -- but usually it's a repeating pattern of stuck pixels (memory cells) and not a random dead-pixel-style pattern.

If not fixable by a unplug/factory reset, then definitely RMA time.
Closest thing to shock I can think of is, the previous day, sun shining on it's back panel for couple hours which got it pretty hot hot until I noticed
Unplug/reset(in settings) - no result. Thanks for the response though. Unfortunately it's "RMA is more effort than buying a new one" kind of situation so I'm gonna have to live with it a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶e̶s̶ until it bothers me enough
Falkentyne wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 20:19
How do you know that it's not the video card giving up the fritz?
The monitor can light up without outputs, still with all the stuck pixels

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Apr 2024, 22:52

ranskrevez wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 21:04
Unplug/reset(in settings) - no result. Thanks for the response though. Unfortunately it's "RMA is more effort than buying a new one" kind of situation so I'm gonna have to live with it a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶e̶s̶ until it bothers me enough
QA may not have tested monitors sitting at sunny windows, but in theory it shouldn't be happening at that -- a sunny window is otherwise a fairly ordinary situation.

Is the power supply embedded into the monitor or a brick on the floor, or? Power bricks built into monitors can get rather hot.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ranskrevez

Post by ranskrevez » 01 May 2024, 08:18

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 22:52
Is the power supply embedded into the monitor or a brick on the floor, or? Power bricks built into monitors can get rather hot.
It's a brick on the floor