Black screen issues when G sync enabled

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
GlennyPlaysStuff

Re: Black screen issues when G sync enabled

Post by GlennyPlaysStuff » 26 Jun 2024, 06:12

Club 3D CAC-1091 DisplayPort™ 2.1 Bi-Directional VESA DP80 Certified Cable 4K120Hz, 8K60Hz or 10K30Hz M/M 1.2m https://amzn.eu/d/036ZbV3b

This one is 26 quid... so that would be just under 80 quid for 3 of them..... assuming that 1.2m will reach haha. I'll need to check.

Is this worth trying?

GlennyPlaysStuff

Post by GlennyPlaysStuff » 26 Jun 2024, 06:19

Never mind, that's too short. I think it needs to be at least 2m to reach the furthest screen.

I'll probably just keep playing without gsync until I get tired of all the other issues associated with a triple screen setup.... then I'll just splash out on that Samsung screen. Will be a lot easier in the end.

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 02 Jul 2024, 16:39

mine is 1.8m long, sorry for no answer, i wasnt lurking here these day. ANd yes, its club3D.

kurtdh

Post by kurtdh » 10 Jul 2024, 01:01

jorimt wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 08:36
Firebolt059 wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 06:04
First off, you didn't mention your driver version, but there's a known issue in the latest Nvidia drivers:
Some monitors may display random black screen flicker when in Display Stream Compression mode when using R530 drivers [4034096]
And your Acer x28 appears to utilize DSC to achieve its max refresh rate at 4k.

I was experiencing random black screens on my PG27AQN (1440p 360Hz G-SYNC native display with DSC) until I lowered my output color depth to 8-bit from 12-bit in the NVCP under "Change resolution" with the latest driver (even in single monitor mode).

Assuming you've ruled that out, multi-monitor configurations can cause issues like this, especially with G-SYNC and/or DSC. I've experienced similar recently with a PG279QM (1440p 240Hz native G-SYNC without DSC) paired with the PG27AQN.

You can try to disable DSC on the monitor (if available, which would obviously lower the max usable Hz) and/or temporarily unplug the secondary to see if it resolves the black screens.

Black screens during alt-tab can also be caused by how a particular monitor handles resolution/Hz switches between the desktop and running apps in certain scenarios, but, again, the current black screen driver issue with DSC monitors would be the first thing to rule out.
Just wanted to thank you for this advice. I spent weeks troubleshooting this issue, and changing from 10 bit to 8 bit on my xb273u gx (1440p 240hz) monitor stopped the random black screens too. Wondering if it's a common dsc firmware issue or a windows multiple monitor issue.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 10 Jul 2024, 09:10

kurtdh wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 01:01
Just wanted to thank you for this advice. I spent weeks troubleshooting this issue, and changing from 10 bit to 8 bit on my xb273u gx (1440p 240hz) monitor stopped the random black screens too. Wondering if it's a common dsc firmware issue or a windows multiple monitor issue.
Glad to hear it helped; DSC is certainly hit-or-miss and is more of a necessary evil stop-gap than anything else. Mix it with the existing Windows OS multi-monitor mess and any driver-specific bugs at the time, and you have a deadly combination of possible issues :roll:
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48C4 Scaler: RetroTINK 4k Consoles: Dreamcast, PS2, PS3, Switch, Wii, Xbox, Analogue Pocket + Dock VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

kurtdh

Post by kurtdh » 10 Jul 2024, 13:21

jorimt wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 09:10
kurtdh wrote:
Glad to hear it helped; DSC is certainly hit-or-miss and is more of a necessary evil stop-gap than anything else. Mix it with the existing Windows OS multi-monitor mess and any driver-specific bugs at the time, and you have a deadly combination of possible issues :roll:
I'm getting a 240hz 4k FO32U2P soon and I'm hoping I can use 10 bit on that monitor without the same issues. I'm thinking I'll have to use 8 bit there as well which is disheartening, but we'll see.

kurtdh

Post by kurtdh » 16 Jul 2024, 14:52

jorimt wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 09:10
kurtdh wrote:
I found this tidbit recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comment ... iscussion/

Under the troubleshooting section "Display blinking/temporary blackout, try setting 'Content Type Detection' in 'Nvidia Control Panel > Display > Adjust Desktop Colour Settings' to 'Desktop Programs' if setting is available AND/OR adjust monitor/TV's display settings for auto-content detection AND/OR check for a display firmware update AND/OR reset display to default settings in OSD AND/OR avoid triggering Display Stream Compression (DSC) AND/OR disable display 'HDMI Consumer Electronics Control' (CEC) AND/OR disable 'AMD Instant Game Response' on LG displays"

I think this is the issue we've been describing. Sounds like they are admitting it's a driver issue? I think the part that is relevant to us is the "avoid triggering DSC" part since I think that's what we're doing by lowering color depth?

MikePlaysIndi

Post by MikePlaysIndi » Yesterday, 13:24

GlennyPlaysStuff wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 04:49
MikePlaysIndi wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 11:17
Hi there! I had random intermittent in-game black screens as well on 4k 144Hz monitor (gigabyte m32u) when two monitors are connected (regarding second one it doesn't matter exact model, issue reproduced with fhd@60hz and 4k@60hz). My workarounds were either limiting refresh rate below 120 fps or changing power management mode to high performance instead of normal.

But last week I've found less noticeable workaround. In cru utility I've changed timings of my monitor from whichever was default to CVT-RB2. As a result there is no black screens for a week already at full 144Hz.
is this with g-sync also enabled?

Would you mind sharing the exact steps you used in CRU, as whenever I've tried to use it, it never works out right for me haha.
Yes, no problem. And yes, g-sync was enabled. In my case it was:
- Select "DisplayId 1.3" (in Extensions block), press Edit
- New windows opens, in my case it has only "Detailed resolutions" list item, press Edit
- Yet another window opens, there are misc resolutions and refresh reates listed, select "3840x2160 @ 143.999...", press edit
- Yet another window opens with timing paramers, select from "Timing" dropdown CVT (also try CVT-RB and CVT-RB2). Save, restart PC, see how it goes.