HALL OF SHAME: List of games with locked frame rates (60fps)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
valfranx

Re: HALL OF SHAME: List of games with locked frame rates (60

Post by valfranx » 15 Oct 2014, 17:32

knotted wrote:Microsoft and Sony pressuring for 30FPS
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ubisof ... on-pc.html
then the devs is sabotaging your own games?

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 17 Oct 2014, 06:49

also they should stop comparing games with movies that way. in movies, you watch and feel, in games, you watch, you feel, you play the role of the game directly interacting on it etc.

that "human can´t see more than 24 fps" concept is a myth in video games, specially on low or blur free monitors, i bet those developers play and test their games on those standart "modern" masive motion blurred monitors, which ruins the feeling of life like motion clarity perception at 60fps / 60hz or higer fps /hz and make motion feel similar to double imaged and artifacted 30fps / 60hz or superior hz displays limited to 30fps.

developers, please leave alone the much superior pc gaming segment with your boring console closed minded framerate perseption.
also keep in mind that would cause a pc games and high tech video cards sales declination, as well as a step backguard on computer 3d graphics gaming technology advances

Monomyth

Post by Monomyth » 30 Oct 2014, 20:16

Please add MechWarrior Online to this list, unless I have overlooked some way to override the lack of a refresh rate setting for it.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Jan 2015, 12:41

I've been playing a lot of "Elite: Dangerous". Unfortunately, even though their graphics engine renders at any FPS, if you switch to a mode higher than 60Hz, animations outside the ship are still happening at 60 updates per second, even when their engine is rendering at 120FPS. It looks like their physics engine is fixed to 60FPS, and every movement is being updated at 60FPS regardless of the graphic engine rendering at higher rates.

Now at 120Hz this doesn't stick out right away (due to 120/60 = 2). But set 75Hz or 100Hz there you get the usual "judder" or "micro-stutter."

Frontier Developments have been made aware of this issue quite a while ago, but they never acknowledged the problem or otherwise even commented on it.

Occulus Rift DK2 users get the problem (75Hz), but they don't understand that what they get is judder. They think that this is normal, especially since the cockpit head movement does not suffer from this problem. Looking around in the cockpit is perfectly smooth at any refresh rate. It's the universe outside the cockpit that suffers from judder.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 17 Jan 2015, 14:34

I don't know if it has been said elsewhere in the thread, but the Bit Trip Runner games are capped at 60fps.

Offtopic but related: The funny thing is that in Steam discussions, many people complain saying things like "How can we disable motion blur in this game?", "This blurriness gives me headaches", etc, but most of them don't understand that it isn't the game's fault, but the monitor's (sample and hold motion blur).
Just watch the results of googling "bit trip runner motion blur": https://www.google.es/webhp?sourceid=ch ... ur&spell=1

At least someone gets it here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/63710/dis ... 182384/#p1

The obvious fixes are running the game in a 60Hz CRT, a BenQ monitor with blur reduction at 60Hz, or playing in 3D using any monitor compatible with 3D Vision 2.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR