Best CRT-like gaming monitor? - speed & color

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Locane

Best CRT-like gaming monitor? - speed & color

Post by Locane » 04 Jan 2015, 19:00

Gentlepeople!

First of all, I am thrilled that there is an entire website and community based around one of what I see as the worst aspects of technology as it advances: flat panel monitors. I am so grateful that motion blur bothers other people as much as it bothers me. I am currently using a breaking-down Acer GD235HZ which is doing pretty bright green / red ghost trails of light objects moving across dark backgrounds.

That being said, there is a LOT of information to consume just from this site alone when it comes to buying a new monitor, and I would like to humbly ask the community's opinion on what the best monitor (with no regard to price) to fit these objectives is:

- Absolutely no motion blur, or as little as possible
- Games played are usually run with VSYNC off for smoothness and speed - I don't care about tearing
- Speed and responsiveness is more important than graphics settings in games - I will play a 1280x720 mess if it means I can get super fast and smooth gameplay
- 27" or more

At this point, from what I've read, I'm leaning towards monitors with the Ultra Low Motion Blur feature, since it seems to be designed for what I'm looking for.

I realize there is a lot of personal preference involved when choosing monitors - I'm hoping someone else shares my preferences and has a recommendation for the best thing currently available. My rig is currently AMD based, but I've been regretting that decision for awhile now, and may end up just building a new one if necessary. Specs on it are medium-high - 2 x Radeon R9 285's run in Crossfire.

Thank you in advance!

Edmond

Re: Best CRT-like gaming monitor? - speed & color

Post by Edmond » 04 Jan 2015, 19:29

Hello!

Yes, everyone here is pretty focused on technologies that improve the disgusting mess that is LCD.
I personally have other priorities above motion blur reduction, but if that is your goal - here are the monitors i know of:

Sony FW900 = 22.5" CRT, supports up to 2304 x 1440 at 80 Hz. Discontinued, good luck finding one. And if you do, it will be used, old and expensive. Too small for what your looking for.

Eizo Foris fg2421 = 24" VA, 1920x1080 at 120hz, but with black frame insertion it counts as 240hz (ull see 120 unique frames per sec anyway). Expensive. Still too small for what your looking for.

Rog Swift = 27" 8bit TN with ULMB. Im sure you will find a lot about this one. I havent seen it in person but i DONT hear too much amazing things about its colors. Expensive. Nvidia only.

Laser projectors (there are a few and a 720p new one) = CRT version of a projector.
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1156

I dont know anything else right now. But either way you should wait and see whats announced in CES2015, thats going on this week.

The perfect solution for all of this is obviously OLED with its 0.01ms equal response times for all color shifts. But OLED monitors might be a few years away. (silently hoping something is revealed @ CES)

flood

Post by flood » 04 Jan 2015, 20:25

Edmond wrote: Laser projectors (there are a few and a 720p new one) = CRT version of a projector.
except there actually are crt projectors

but yea they share some things in common with crts

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 04 Jan 2015, 20:59

Need to wait and see. And more importantly see some 3rd party reviews.
So far i hear it doesnt have a ULMB option, which you are after i understand.
Also, we dont know the response times of it. If it turns out the response times are the same as current IPSs have, then any motion on that monitor will turn into a horrorshow.

Alamar

Post by Alamar » 05 Jan 2015, 07:26

First of all there isn't a good choice still.
Edmond wrote:Hello!

Yes, everyone here is pretty focused on technologies that improve the disgusting mess that is LCD.
I personally have other priorities above motion blur reduction, but if that is your goal - here are the monitors i know of:

Sony FW900 = 22.5" CRT, supports up to 2304 x 1440 at 80 Hz. Discontinued, good luck finding one. And if you do, it will be used, old and expensive. Too small for what your looking for.

Eizo Foris fg2421 = 24" VA, 1920x1080 at 120hz, but with black frame insertion it counts as 240hz (ull see 120 unique frames per sec anyway). Expensive. Still too small for what your looking for.

Rog Swift = 27" 8bit TN with ULMB. Im sure you will find a lot about this one. I havent seen it in person but i DONT hear too much amazing things about its colors. Expensive. Nvidia only.

Laser projectors (there are a few and a 720p new one) = CRT version of a projector.
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1156
Same good I could suggest:

Acer Predator XB270HA - similar panel to Asus Swift, maybe less bugged and with normal fhd 1080p native resolution, 8bit with ulmb. As you probably know because of native resolution lcd don't look optimal when lowering it which is a big disadvantage),

LG 24gm77 - 24" cheap and super fast with better colors and brightness in this price range, motion 240 strobe (100-120hz) instead ulmb.

important: ulmb only work with geforce..

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 05 Jan 2015, 08:12

Alamar wrote:
LG 24gm77 - 24" cheap and super fast with better colors and brightness in this price range, motion 240 strobe (100-120hz) instead ulmb.
Thats a TN screen if im not mistaken. And a 6bit+dithering one even.

Alamar

Post by Alamar » 05 Jan 2015, 08:15

Edmond wrote:
Alamar wrote:
Of course there isn't any crt-like no tn gaming monitor, only Acer and Asus Swift are 8bit tn.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 05 Jan 2015, 09:22

Alamar wrote:
Edmond wrote:
Alamar wrote:
Of course there isn't any crt-like no tn gaming monitor, only Acer and Asus Swift are 8bit tn.
The Eizo Foris fg2421? Its a VA. So if your OK with the 24" size (which i would never be) its the best picture + motion clarity capable monitor out there right now.

Also... laser projectors. ^^
Very good color, very clear motion. Flickers like shit tho.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jan 2015, 14:22

Locane wrote:At this point, from what I've read, I'm leaning towards monitors with the Ultra Low Motion Blur feature, since it seems to be designed for what I'm looking for.
Make sure there's a Strobe Duty adjustment -- because that adjusts the persistence. Not all ULMB monitors have a Strobe Duty adjustment.

Nowadays, you can get far lower persistence than medium-persistence CRTs such as Sony FW900. That means less motion blur than a Sony FW900 CRT. However, doing so, has a big drawback: Low brightness. Cramming a lot of brightness into short persistence is a challenge with current backlights.

For an AMD-compatible solution, I recommend BENQ Blur Reduction, since it actually has some pros over ULMB. BENQ Blur Reduction has slightly better colors than ULMB or LightBoost (when used on the same panel). Although this means there are only 6-bit for AMD-compatible panels (other than the beautiful Eizo FG2421 monitor). If you want to keep costs low, and could live with the colors, a BENQ Z-Series would probably be your main choice today. You can always upgrade your monitor in 6 months or 12 months when you rebuild your system.

For a list of currently shipping monitors compatible with AMD, see Official List Of 120Hz+ Monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!