96 hz vs 120 hz: Noticeable Difference?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
BCShak

96 hz vs 120 hz: Noticeable Difference?

Post by BCShak » 26 Feb 2015, 23:41

First I want to say hello. This site has been of great value over the past few weeks. Here is a bit of background before I get to the main:
I recently built this PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pzX24D

The system is amazing, but I never realized the impact a good monitor has on the overall experience.
I’ve spent the past 2 weeks with the ROG Swift and the Dell U2715H, side by side, running a variety of programs and games (a mix of FPS, RTS, RPG, fighting a little of everything)

The first thought, I REALLY like IPS. OMG the richness of the screen is amazing. But…
I REALLY like Gsync, and I like it at 120hz.
I was playing with the refresh rates, and I didn’t see much of a difference to stay on 144hz, but I could definitely see the difference between 60 and 120hz and prefer the latter.
In the end, I returned both monitors because I just couldn’t make up my mind...until I saw the review of the new ACER.
That is JUST the monitor I’ve been looking for! (and I’m sure many are in the same boat)
The problem is that it won’t be out at least until Mid-April, and there is little around pricing info, and availability will likely be scarce!
Suffice it to say, I can’t be without a monitor for almost 2 months and wait based on Faith!

The Main Point:
Unfortunately, High Refresh, 1440p, IPS monitors, are only available via Korea.
After reviewing a few and reading the forums, I’m thinking about the QNIX qx2710 Evolution ii. These monitors however are not guaranteed an overclock, and the majority of folks get 96 hz.
I’m running a 980 SLI setup, so I want to make the best use of them on the highest settings possible. I would consider a QNIX but the 96 hz kinda bugs me.
Across the board, Is there THAT much of a noticeable difference between 96 and 120 hz?
Sorry for the long post, and thank you for the responses. I’ll also gladly take suggestions.

LegendFury

Re: 96 hz vs 120 hz: Noticeable Difference?

Post by LegendFury » 26 Feb 2015, 23:59

I've tried both, and I would say it is noticeable, but less so than jumping from 60 to 96.

If you're looking for guaranteed 120hz, you can purchase this: http://overlordcomputer.com/collections ... 0oc-glossy

mutantmagnet

Post by mutantmagnet » 27 Feb 2015, 04:37

LegendFury wrote:I've tried both, and I would say it is noticeable, but less so than jumping from 60 to 96.
You mean you have played around with frequency but not this specific monitor?

TFTcentral actually did a review and it got high marks in a lot of areas but this part makes me think the op should reconsider.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/qnix_qx2710.htm
While these pixel response tests from PixPerAn give one view of the performance of the panel, there is something else going on as well here which can't be picked out by the camera. All of these other gaming models are running at 120Hz (or higher) refresh rates, which allows for improved 120fps+ frame rates and in some cases the support of 3D stereoscopic content as well. This can really help improve smoothness and the overall gaming experience so these screens still have the edge when it comes to fast gaming. Any additional extras to reduce perceived motion blur can also have a real benefit in practical terms, and again not easy to pick out with this camera method. The QX2710 is marketed as being able to overclock to higher refresh rates up to 120Hz, but in practice we discovered there is frame-dropping on this multi-input model making it pointless.
Looking around other forums some users were dissatisfied with the frame skipping as well.

BCShak

Post by BCShak » 27 Feb 2015, 09:23

The Tft review is talking about the True10, not the DVI-D only version. Is the True10 capable of overclocking?

BCShak

Post by BCShak » 27 Feb 2015, 10:18

Actually, I won't be able to use the QNIX, except for the True10 monitor, because I don't have a DVI-D connector on my MSI 980. So I can't get one even if I wanted to, since the condition is that the monitor be overclockable.