TRUE 8bit TN vs 8bit IPS - which has better colours? Why?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Irlwizard

TRUE 8bit TN vs 8bit IPS - which has better colours? Why?

Post by Irlwizard » 01 Jul 2015, 21:47

View angle and all that nonsense aside... If a TN panel has true 8bit colour. Can you really knock it for being 'less colour accurate' than a true 8bit IPS?

I ask because - I think this 'viewing angle' nonsense isn't a deal breaker with 2015 screens, it's just a bad rep from early panels and that rep has lingered for years... The TN view angles have improved steadily over the years and front on viewing is now fine, people that say otherwise are delusional or buy the cheapest screen in the store.

PS: I actually own an IPS and HATE the backlight and just wonder if I wasted my money when I could have just bought a 8bit TN without backlight bleeding issues. Yes, I do use my monitor for colour accurate work.

flood

Re: TRUE 8bit TN vs 8bit IPS - which has better colours? Why

Post by flood » 01 Jul 2015, 23:44

ips. not because it measures better (which it does often), but because tn viewing angles are crap. yea it's gotten better but i don't think tns do much better for blacks either

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 02 Jul 2015, 01:27

"PS: I actually own an IPS and HATE the backlight"

That's strange. The IPS monitors i own don't have a backlight issue at all, they all look pretty good at deep dark blacks. my TN pannels on the other hand have terrobad dark blacks.

Glide

Post by Glide » 02 Jul 2015, 05:38

Backlight bleeding means that you got a bad monitor and should exchange it.
It's certainly not a problem that only affects IPS panels.

You can get accurate color on a TN panel.
It will only be accurate in that tiny portion of the screen which is not affected by its incredibly limited viewing angles, but TN is not inherently inaccurate. It's just that most TN panels are cheap and thus use cheap backlight sources which won't even cover the sRGB gamut.

VA panels are a much better option than TN if you're looking for an alternative to IPS.
They have much higher contrast ratios, but suffer from viewing angles that are almost as bad as TN panels.
They don't have inversion like TN, but they have very bad gamma shifting at an angle.

After seeing what some of the better, modern IPS panels are like, I think they have acceptable contrast as long as you're not viewing in a dark room (where no LCD has acceptable contrast) and buy a panel with an A-TW polarizer.

Unfortunately the A-TW polarizers seem rare, and none of the gaming-focused IPS panels seem to use one.

It's frustrating that the companies focused on producing high-end graphics monitors (strict quality control, accurate color etc.) don't also incorporate gaming-focused features like high refresh rates or even things like G-Sync.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 02 Jul 2015, 06:37

viewing angles arent "nonsense"....

they are everything

if washed out colors was the only issue of TN, id be sitting on TN and living with bad colors and TN flare/darkness

But reality now is that 144hz IPS and IPS that can be strobed are finally available. Bit more expensive than the equivalent size TN, but at least available. Welcome to the future, you can stop defending TN now... now it has no advantages left. And the sooner you stop defending it the sooner TN can die off and we all can move to something thats not garbage.

Steeps

Post by Steeps » 02 Jul 2015, 19:04

Check out this Tech Report review of the BenQ XL2730Z. Colors are overall more accurate than the ASUS PB[\b]278Q IPS monitor.

http://techreport.com/review/28073/benq ... a0bff2f2ae

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 03 Jul 2015, 06:26

Steeps wrote:Check out this Tech Report review of the BenQ XL2730Z. Colors are overall more accurate than the ASUS PB[\b]278Q IPS monitor.

http://techreport.com/review/28073/benq ... a0bff2f2ae

LOL. What a joke that review is.

Look at the EXTREME angle they tested the vertical viewing angles at... jesus christ. This blatant pandering to TN is so sad.
Last i checked people have not yet become robots who can lock themselves in stationary postition where the TN looks its best.
Those accurate colors mean shit if you relax your neck and they change. This is some kind of subconscious torture that the idiots who wrote that review want more people to experience.

144hz IPS EXIST NOW people! The sooner you stop defending the pointless TN, the sooner we all can be on fast IPS`s, ffs.