Who can withstand strobing?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
monitor_butt

Who can withstand strobing?

Post by monitor_butt » 02 Jul 2015, 13:47

I'm just curious as to see is there is a large pool of people that use this technology. I've tried it a few times and it's very nice, but it destroys my eyes in under an hour. I've read that some people are unaffected by it, but I've let a few friends try it out and they all share the same experience in regards to eye strain. Sometimes I can go 45 minutes before it starts to strain my eyes, other times I can feel it just after 15 minutes. Are there any tricks to using strobing such as BenQ blur reduction and Lightboost?

Blural

Re: Who can withstand strobing?

Post by Blural » 02 Jul 2015, 14:32

CRT monitors used to give me terrible eye strain within a couple of hours no matter the refresh rate.

Strobing LCD monitors do not give me any eye strain whatsoever. There was a period where I was using my computer for 10 hours a day minimum every single day and with no eye strain at all.

I haven't had a chance to test strobe rates below 120 on LCD yet so that could be a factor. I imagine 60hz would flicker too much and be painfully annoying like on CRT

I think you also must consider, "nocebo" to be a factor. If you think your eyes will be strained beforehand, they may very well. A blind test would be useful.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 02 Jul 2015, 15:04

I can (I hate motion blur that much). Strobing at refresh rates higher than 75Hz don't bother me at all in any situation, and I can stand 60Hz or lower (50Hz is the lowest limit for strobing in my monitor) in games all the time I want, and 60Hz in desktop for a long time.

I got used to 60Hz because I usually play in 3D, and that strobes at 60Hz per eye. And well, here in Europe we always had 50Hz CRT TVs, so I've trained since I was a child :lol: .

Strobing is most noticeable when I suddenly switch from 120Hz to 60Hz, but after a few minutes I get used to it.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 03 Jul 2015, 06:30

People who have thick skulls usually can.

Same people who have never cried in their life and think thats something to be proud of.
Same people who cant enjoy a hit of weed, but they need to drink lots of alcohol to drop on the floor or go fight someone - thats their idea of a high.
The same type of people think hunting other animals for fun is ok.

Basically insensitive people. (which is a negative trait) Religion was meant for THESE people.
No offence, just truth.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 03 Jul 2015, 06:49

Edmond wrote:People who have thick skulls usually can.

Same people who have never cried in their life and think thats something to be proud of.
Same people who cant enjoy a hit of weed, but they need to drink lots of alcohol to drop on the floor or go fight someone - thats their idea of a high.
The same type of people think hunting other animals for fun is ok.

Basically insensitive people. (which is a negative trait) Religion was meant for THESE people.
No offence, just truth.

What.The.Hell?

So basically ANYONE who has used a traditional television CRT For the last 60 years, and who used CRT's until the mid-late 2000's is an "insensitive person" with a "thick skull"?

Don't feed the troll.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 03 Jul 2015, 07:22

60hz flicker is extremely annoying, 85hz is tolerable.

monitor_butt

Post by monitor_butt » 03 Jul 2015, 11:49

85hz? I can't even handle it at 120hz, lol. Maybe it's that weird doubling effect it gives when you pan very fast, I duno.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 03 Jul 2015, 16:01

monitor_butt wrote:Maybe it's that weird doubling effect it gives when you pan very fast, I duno.
You get that if the game is running at half the fps of the refresh rate, like 60fps at 120Hz. If fps=Hz, with strobing you don't get double image.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

monitor_butt

Post by monitor_butt » 04 Jul 2015, 15:12

masterotaku wrote:
monitor_butt wrote:Maybe it's that weird doubling effect it gives when you pan very fast, I duno.
You get that if the game is running at half the fps of the refresh rate, like 60fps at 120Hz. If fps=Hz, with strobing you don't get double image.
Hmm... unless BF4 is lying about the options, my game is running at 120hz and I manually cap the fps at 125 with the gametime console command. This is using the VT1500 trick also. I easily hold 120 frames with a 970 on medium settings, but I still get a weird doubling effects on really fast pans.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 06 Jul 2015, 03:39

Falkentyne wrote: What.The.Hell?

So basically ANYONE who has used a traditional television CRT For the last 60 years, and who used CRT's until the mid-late 2000's is an "insensitive person" with a "thick skull"?

Don't feed the troll.
You mean during the time when there was NO choice in screens? So weak.

Also, calling someone a "troll" doesnt instantly invalidate their argument, just makes you look bad.