XB270HU: Should I RMA?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ciwolsey

XB270HU: Should I RMA?

Post by ciwolsey » 14 Feb 2016, 14:28

Monitor is six months old. Recently I've started noticing on certain shades of grey, vertical discoloured lines that only extend within the problematic shade. So for example, if there is a grey area in an application, slightly green tinged alternating lines will run down just that grey area. Sometimes moving the window will cause the lines go to, and then moving the window back to it's original location causes them to return. Usually after a short while they just go away and I forget about them. I have no video if of happening because it's quite rare but I did try some of the pixel inversion tests and noticed some other artifacts that might be related. Should I return it? The problem doesn't bother me that much but I'm worried my monitor could fail. Here is a video I took:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwNzGFT4Ots (sorry about the music)

I need to stress that these tests really bring out the worst and 99% of the time I don't see any issues. Just every so often I get these vertical lines and they go away after a minute. I go days without even seeing them. It's almost like it only happens under certain rare graphical circumstances. I'd like to add that altering the contrast on the monitor makes the lines go away (and affect another shade) but adjusting the brightness does nothing.

aeliusg

Re: XB270HU: Should I RMA?

Post by aeliusg » 14 Feb 2016, 15:13

ciwolsey wrote:Monitor is six months old. Recently I've started noticing on certain shades of grey, vertical discoloured lines that only extend within the problematic shade. So for example, if there is a grey area in an application, slightly green tinged alternating lines will run down just that grey area. Sometimes moving the window will cause the lines go to, and then moving the window back to it's original location causes them to return. Usually after a short while they just go away and I forget about them. I have no video if of happening because it's quite rare but I did try some of the pixel inversion tests and noticed some other artifacts that might be related. Should I return it? The problem doesn't bother me that much but I'm worried my monitor could fail. Here is a video I took:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwNzGFT4Ots (sorry about the music)

I need to stress that these tests really bring out the worst and 99% of the time I don't see any issues. Just every so often I get these vertical lines and they go away after a minute. I go days without even seeing them. It's almost like it only happens under certain rare graphical circumstances. I'd like to add that altering the contrast on the monitor makes the lines go away (and affect another shade) but adjusting the brightness does nothing.
This is considered "normal." It's due to panel crosstalk, caused by the particular way the LCD refreshes. Also, this test isn't designed to show fault with the monitor, but to determine which particular refresh pattern it uses, as you said in other words. Best thing to do is to avoid displaying such images, unless they come up with regularity and necessity in whatever is your required usage.

Very good music, by the way. Please link.

ciwolsey

Post by ciwolsey » 14 Feb 2016, 17:21

Thanks aeliusg.

I've managed to get a video of the problem that occurs that caused me to try these tests in the first place. Could you tell me whether this warrants a return? I can't say it really bothers me, maybe it will happen on day for a minute, and then never again for 3 days. My biggest fear is that it's a dying monitor. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk6yZMV6tDE (note it only affects one half of the monitor)

The clicking you hear is me changing the contrast. You'll need to put it on the highest resolution you can because it's very hard to see the lines otherwise.

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 14 Feb 2016, 17:26

ciwolsey wrote:Thanks aeliusg.

I've managed to get a video of the problem that occurs that caused me to try these tests in the first place. Could you tell me whether this warrants a return? I can't say it really bothers me, maybe it will happen on day for a minute, and then never again for 3 days. My biggest fear is that it's a dying monitor. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk6yZMV6tDE (note it only affects one half of the monitor)

The clicking you hear is me changing the contrast. You'll need to put it on the highest resolution you can because it's very hard to see the lines otherwise.
Yeah, might want to RMA it then. Could you tell me what the song was also, in the first video?

ciwolsey

Post by ciwolsey » 14 Feb 2016, 17:53

Are you sure this is a fault in the monitor though?

Here is the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZJJMZdWpvw

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Feb 2016, 19:06

You can't RMA for that.
That's called inversion and I get that on my TN panels, also.
It all depends on the way the LCD is manufactured. Some TN panels don't have that type of artifact.
As of now there's really not much you can do about it.

ciwolsey

Post by ciwolsey » 14 Feb 2016, 19:59

Thanks Falktyne did you watch both of the videos? Also this is an IPS panel I believe. Still normal? As long as it's not a failing monitor I don't care about returning it.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Feb 2016, 20:37

I know nothing about the contrast and I don't have that monitor or an IPS so I can't help with that. Sorry.
It's your choice if you want to RMA. I was commenting on the inversion issue.

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 14 Feb 2016, 21:49

Actually, do you have to change the contrast for that to happen? It may be a bad idea to RMA depending on how good your XB270HU is otherwise. Quality control hasn't been good on these from what people have experienced. If your monitor is in otherwise good shape (no/few dead pixels and low back-light bleed), it might be better to keep it until it drops dead if it does at all.

ciwolsey

Post by ciwolsey » 15 Feb 2016, 06:42

No I don't have to touch the contrast for it to happen. It just happens, then adjusting contrast will either move it to another shade, or (more commonly) remove it completely. It also goes away eventually if I just leave it and continue moving around windows. It only happens every 1-2 days at the moment and only for a minute at a time.

I think I've been lucky, there's no back-light bleed and one dead pixel that could also just be dirt under the screen. Having seen the back-light issues the idea of returning is kind of terrifying.

As long as this doesn't get any worse I think returning it is a bad idea. Things could be much worse.

Thanks for all your help :)