CRT FW900 Do you own one?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
spacediver

Re: CRT FW900 Do you own one?

Post by spacediver » 13 Feb 2016, 02:12

I have no complaints during the day, I can use it without issue, but then again, I have one frosted cover over a single incadescent bulb illuminating my room, and the single window I do have is behind my monitor.

As for controlling brightness and stuff, the reason your overall image looks darker is because lowering the G2 will change the entire luminance function of the display. You're probably suffering from too high of a gamma curve, where all the shadow detail is being crushed down.

I strongly recommend you get yourself a colorimeter as recommended (dtp 94 or i1 display pro) and follow the guide carefully. Take note, this guide is meant for those who have an Nvidia card, and can therefore do the Argyll part of the calibration making full use of the 10 bit DAC that Nvidia cards have.

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 17 Feb 2016, 06:44

i have a nvidia card (gtx 970 gigabyte) but unfortunately i see it difficult to get a colorimeter at the moment, even the cheaper one $30 + $5 shipping will be expensive since dolar currency in my country is at a historical high levels, and i would not like to invest much more money on this monitor.

i have put my former crt monitor togeter with the fw900, both connected to the same pc with cloned image and by eye i have been messing with it and had been achiving satisfying calibration results. just need to lower the contrast levels when using the monitor for internet browsing, and reading, something i can deal with.

the only thing thats is currently annoying me is the long time the monitor takes to warm up and get my color - brightness contrast settings the way i like, but from what i read, this is a behavior from manufacturing, even when the monitor was new, and there is no colorimeter and nothing that can improve this.

just for curiosity....anyone know if its posible to "hack" the monitor osd options via windas or whatever, with personalized ones, like when you create profiles for color - gamma settings in windows, so, you can only load a profile with a simple click, in this case, just selecting a desire combination of rgb - brightnes, contrast setting with a simple OSD selection without the need to lower every setting one per one, and after 30 minutes of warm up, rise again everything one by one......?

Glide wrote: I just hope that we start to get OLEDs which can finally exceed CRT performance in the next year or two. The technology should be capable of it, but the manufacturers don't seem to care about gaming performance yet.
As much as I do like CRTs for their resolution and refresh rate flexibility, as well as their low latency, I use a 46" LCD as my main display for single player games where that doesn't matter so much, and would like to upgrade to a 55" or 65" OLED. As good as it is, the FW900 is pretty small.
this week i saw a 55 inch 4k oled lg tv being exibited, and seems quite priomising, the seller allowed my to load the testufo web page to do some test but unfortunately the built in browser is not 100'% compatible and the moving tests ran at a stuttery 20 fps, however i had the impression this tv handles things like motion blur better than other monitors which is a good hope, i was not able to do more tests, unfortunately
that tv is very expensive here, but thats a good start so in the near future oled can get masive, available world wide with more accessible prices.

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 17 Feb 2016, 12:21

3dfan wrote:i have a nvidia card (gtx 970 gigabyte) but unfortunately i see it difficult to get a colorimeter at the moment, even the cheaper one $30 + $5 shipping will be expensive since dolar currency in my country is at a historical high levels, and i would not like to invest much more money on this monitor.

i have put my former crt monitor togeter with the fw900, both connected to the same pc with cloned image and by eye i have been messing with it and had been achiving satisfying calibration results. just need to lower the contrast levels when using the monitor for internet browsing, and reading, something i can deal with.

the only thing thats is currently annoying me is the long time the monitor takes to warm up and get my color - brightness contrast settings the way i like, but from what i read, this is a behavior from manufacturing, even when the monitor was new, and there is no colorimeter and nothing that can improve this.

just for curiosity....anyone know if its posible to "hack" the monitor osd options via windas or whatever, with personalized ones, like when you create profiles for color - gamma settings in windows, so, you can only load a profile with a simple click, in this case, just selecting a desire combination of rgb - brightnes, contrast setting with a simple OSD selection without the need to lower every setting one per one, and after 30 minutes of warm up, rise again everything one by one......?

this week i saw a 55 inch 4k oled lg tv being exibited, and seems quite priomising, the seller allowed my to load the testufo web page to do some test but unfortunately the built in browser is not 100'% compatible and the moving tests ran at a stuttery 20 fps, however i had the impression this tv handles things like motion blur better than other monitors which is a good hope, i was not able to do more tests, unfortunately
that tv is very expensive here, but thats a good start so in the near future oled can get masive, available world wide with more accessible prices.
I understand why you might not want to invest further funds in the monitor at the moment.

The warm-up time is a necessary because the CRT is still a physical device, and in the case of the FW900, a relatively large one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_catho ... ode_heater

There could have been more advanced compensation circuitry put in, but the trade-off for the initial 30 minutes of usage time was probably too low, especially considering there were no instant-on LED-LCD's to compare to back then.

I'm not sure about the menu settings, but you could possibly use 9300K for your initial settings and then 6500K for your main settings, and adjust as necessary.

I expect, barring worldwide catastrophe, that OLED will eventually supplant LCD completely and deliver us into a new age of visual enjoyment, but the timeframe for this happening is probably still on the order of a couple of decades rather than years. I don't know if it was possible for you to see with the limited demo you had, but OLED still has motion blur caused by display persistence, the holding of the pixel on the screen, where LCDs have both persistence and response-time ghosting. OLED looks much more actively fluid, but it is still blurry compared to CRTs with ~1 ms persistence through phosphorescence and scanning.

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 19 Feb 2016, 09:03

thanks for your info.

it seems that turning off only the computer, so the monitor enters "sleep" mode, (orange led) will allow it to get warm faster than if it is completely powered off, this morning i was able to use the monitor at a visual brightness - contrast levels i like after 10 minutes only lowering the brightness to 0. also in the service manual say there is other mode when the led flashes orange and green alternated, a "suspend" mode i would like to test, but i dont know how to a activate that mode, (tested with standby and hiberate modes on the pc, but the monitor led gets orange only).

as for the "k" settings, im currently using (with monitor already warm of course) 100 for all expert settings, and 20 for brightness and 100 for contrast for gaming, when reading or internet usage i lower contrast to 70. Those settings give me satisfaying color - brightness contrast black levels, the whites are a bit yellow but nothing dramatic, i get better whites with 9300k but, get worse brightness - blacks balances, need more time to get even better results. what settings are you using for your brightness contrast, colors?

i wish a had a laptop to connect and do the tests properly with the oled.

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 19 Feb 2016, 09:51

3dfan wrote:thanks for your info.

it seems that turning off only the computer, so the monitor enters "sleep" mode, (orange led) will allow it to get warm faster than if it is completely powered off, this morning i was able to use the monitor at a visual brightness - contrast levels i like after 10 minutes only lowering the brightness to 0. also in the service manual say there is other mode when the led flashes orange and green alternated, a "suspend" mode i would like to test, but i dont know how to a activate that mode, (tested with standby and hiberate modes on the pc, but the monitor led gets orange only).

as for the "k" settings, im currently using (with monitor already warm of course) 100 for all expert settings, and 20 for brightness and 100 for contrast for gaming, when reading or internet usage i lower contrast to 70. Those settings give me satisfaying color - brightness contrast black levels, the whites are a bit yellow but nothing dramatic, i get better whites with 9300k but, get worse brightness - blacks balances, need more time to get even better results. what settings are you using for your brightness contrast, colors?

i wish a had a laptop to connect and do the tests properly with the oled.
I have calibrated mine, so I don't use the expert settings and only default brightness/contrast at 31/90 with color at 6500K. It seems from the manual that the monitor will go first into standby and then the suspend mode, followed by deep sleep (amber only). I have not used it on mine because I only power mine on some days at night and turn it off immediately after use, but it may be that if you change your power settings to "turn the display off" after a certain time that is what the monitor will do instead of going into full sleep.

Perhaps the store has a laptop that they will let you connect? I'm not sure if it is a "home theater" store or general electronics.

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 20 Feb 2016, 07:12

when you say you calibrated yours, you meant you used a colorimeter or some other metod rather than the osd?

yesterday i started to mess with the "k" settings and been getting interesting results. also at night, turned only the pc off, monitor entered "orange mode". Today before turning on the pc, its was still orange, so i turned on the pc, the monitor "awake", i set the brigtness to 0 and..........the blacks were just slightly overbright!!! nothing dramatic!! the monitor was practically usable from the beggining without the need to wait to getter decent bright black and color levels just lowering brightness to 0!!! a lot of patience and set up si finally starting to show its rewards!! and finally im stating to enjoy this monitor with less pain! this night i will completely turn off the monitor to compare warm up usable times at morning, but with my last results, im getting very positive :) now the next "pain" is to wait for the electric bill since this monitor is 70 watts hungrieer than the other crt.

that store is called "fallabela" they sell overall products, from clothing, "fragants" shoes, to tech, tvs, consoles, laptops.... i dont have enough confidence with the seller to connect mine or one of their laptops. some day.

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 20 Feb 2016, 11:28

3dfan wrote:when you say you calibrated yours, you meant you used a colorimeter or some other metod rather than the osd?

yesterday i started to mess with the "k" settings and been getting interesting results. also at night, turned only the pc off, monitor entered "orange mode". Today before turning on the pc, its was still orange, so i turned on the pc, the monitor "awake", i set the brigtness to 0 and..........the blacks were just slightly overbright!!! nothing dramatic!! the monitor was practically usable from the beggining without the need to wait to getter decent bright black and color levels just lowering brightness to 0!!! a lot of patience and set up si finally starting to show its rewards!! and finally im stating to enjoy this monitor with less pain! this night i will completely turn off the monitor to compare warm up usable times at morning, but with my last results, im getting very positive :) now the next "pain" is to wait for the electric bill since this monitor is 70 watts hungrieer than the other crt.

that store is called "fallabela" they sell overall products, from clothing, "fragants" shoes, to tech, tvs, consoles, laptops.... i dont have enough confidence with the seller to connect mine or one of their laptops. some day.
Yes, I've used a colorimeter and the WinDAS procedure for white point balance to restore the monitor's settings. Otherwise the OSD settings will no longer be accurate for each individual monitor over time, unless you adjust them to a reference like you have or to an instrument as I have done.

In the sleep mode perhaps there is still some energy being retained in the power board to make the startup smoother. I'm glad it's working better for you that way.

That's interesting, it says Falabella is South America's largest department store. Good to know.

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 25 Feb 2016, 09:29

i believe the "faster warm up time while on orange mode" was a placebo effect, im now turing completelly off the monitor, and when on, i still can do the same as before, which is even better = less energy to waste.

i was gossping another falabella store in my city and they had an oled with a black levels demostration running on it, it seems those waiting years for the tech monitor to improve for things like better blacks at least may be near to end.

for curiosity, after all setup you did with colorimeter and windas, are you now being able to rise the brightness 100% and keep blacks staying blacks at the same time?

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 25 Feb 2016, 12:21

3dfan wrote:i believe the "faster warm up time while on orange mode" was a placebo effect, im now turing completelly off the monitor, and when on, i still can do the same as before, which is even better = less energy to waste.

i was gossping another falabella store in my city and they had an oled with a black levels demostration running on it, it seems those waiting years for the tech monitor to improve for things like better blacks at least may be near to end.

for curiosity, after all setup you did with colorimeter and windas, are you now being able to rise the brightness 100% and keep blacks staying blacks at the same time?
Yes, but I have mine set to very low black levels and about 2.6-2.8 gamma according to spacediver's method, then I've uncrushed the black levels with a curve in LUT with dispcalGUI aka DisplayCAL.

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 26 Feb 2016, 14:38

3dfan wrote:
No, raising the brightness control through the OSD raises the black level. Increasing the contrast control to 100% (from the default 90%) doesn't affect my black level, at least to my eye.

Note that brightness and contrast are misleading terms.

http://www.poynton.com/notes/brightness_and_contrast/