Buying advice: own 60hz, can't decide between 144 or 240

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
SirTalento

Buying advice: own 60hz, can't decide between 144 or 240

Post by SirTalento » 15 Aug 2018, 16:05

Hello all,

I've been gaming on a 22" 1680 x 1050 60hz monitor since 2007, and I want to upgrade to higher hz.
I'm debating between a 144hz or a 240hz display. More specifically I'm looking into the BenQ Zowie XL2430 or the XL2546 (but I'm open to suggestions).

I've read (and heard) all over about the big difference you feel when you switch from 60hz to 144hz, so if I switch from 60 to 240 I imagine it would be even more impressive right, or is it more or less the same?

The thing is i don't play CS, nor will I play it. I'm 80% of the time playing Battefield, with the remaining 20% playing games like Assassins Creed, GTA's, some racing games, Hitman and the likes. Also I do some very light photo editing ocasionally.
And from what I've read, the Zowie XL2546 would be ideal for esports such as CS or Quake, so I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right option here, just curious about 240hz + DyAC tech.

I've never owned an IPS monitor but I wouldn't want to sacrifice responsiveness just to have a slight "better" color accuracy.

My current 60hz monitor is a Samsung 226CW in case you want to know. Therefore I've never owned a somewhat "modern" TN monitor so I don't know what to expect in regard to color accuracy compared to my Samsung.

Back then when I bought my monitor, it was supposed to have a color gamut of 97% and I still think it looks pretty decent color wise. But I've read so many people complain about "TN colours" that I wonder if I'll feel it like a downgrade if I buy any of the current 144 or 240hz options (no matter which brand we're talking).

I'd like some advice please, to figure out if it's worth buying a 240hz monitor for my PC use, or if a 144 would be enough.
Currently I probably won't be able to reach much more than 144 (at least not in BF1 I suppose), but I plan on upgrading to a newer Nvidia GPU.

PC specs: 6700k
16 GB
1060 6Gb

Thank you for your time!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Buying advice: own 60hz, can't decide between 144 or 240

Post by RealNC » 16 Aug 2018, 02:56

SirTalento wrote:I've never owned an IPS monitor but I wouldn't want to sacrifice responsiveness just to have a slight "better" color accuracy.
Assuming you mean the 165Hz 1440p ones, none of them are sacrificing responsiveness. In fact, they tend to have lower input lag than some of the TN gaming monitors at the same refresh rates. The only issue with these displays is the IPS glow. Basically, if you come from a TN, you're trading TN gamma/color shift for IPS glow.

If, however, you mean these new 144Hz 4K IPS displays, then I don't know.

Anyway, as for 240Hz, I would not recommend these display to someone who isn't into esports competitively. They just have too many issues (frame skipping, input lag when not running at 240Hz requiring custom CRU tweaks to fix it, pixel inversion artifacts, not that good gamma response.)

So that leaves you with a myriad of "144Hz or higher" displays out there to choose from. I would just pick a few, read reviews about them (trusted ones, like from TFTCentral or pcmonitors.info) and narrow down your list. I would highly recommend g-sync as a feature, if your budget allows that.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.