G-SYNC Upgrade Board Giveaway - FIVE boards! [complete]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
SisterBob

Re: G-SYNC Upgrade Board Giveaway - FIVE boards!

Post by SisterBob » 25 Dec 2013, 08:50

Well, seeing as how I own an Asus VG248QE, live in Canada, own a GTX 670, and definitely plan to get a G-SYNC module, I'd better enter this, eh? Also I'm going to do this a bit out of order and talk about my favorite Blur Busters page up front: It's the LightBoost HOWTO page for sure! This is the page that made me settle on the VG248QE, as well as the news that it would be getting G-SYNC. That said, now that I've got a monitor, I'm looking for the best blur-free TV I can find, so it looks like the Make Your HDTV Accept Real 120Hz Refresh Rate page may take over soon!

My DIY history actually goes back to my childhood and a father who would always tinker with pretty much every piece of electronics he could get his hands on. However, it was growing up relatively poor that really put me in touch with my DIY side. After all, when most other people my age were getting dual-core laptops, I was just getting my first P4 system :lol: so playing the newest games at the time often required a little know how to get things working at all ok. I remember well trying out the Oldblivion mod for Oblivion around the time it came out, as well as various ini tweaks, just to get the game running at what was probably a mere 10-15 fps. Eventually, though, I was able to put my own system together and realized that messing around with hardware is a lot more fun than software tweaking. Since then, I've helped others put together their own PCs. I've also fiddled with overclocking my CPU and GPU(of course) and even have the custom cooler on my i5-2500k to prove it! I haven't cracked open a monitor yet - I haven't had reason to - but I'm fairly familiar with how modern LCD monitors work nonetheless thanks to doing a bit of research. Getting a G-SYNC module would be the perfect excuse to get a little hands-on experience, though! :lol:

That brings me to what I plan to do with G-SYNC. Well, aside from the obvious - have a little DIY fun, ELIMINATE TEARING!! - I'd definitely want to share my experience with the Blur Busters board. I also have a small website where I write about games and gaming hardware. I'd be remiss if I didn't write about my experience there in full - complete with pictures, of course.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Dec 2013, 14:32

PiERiT, aMunster, Chickenfeed, SisterBob, thank you for your submissions! And Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays!

(All of you, I hope you can continue to participate in the Blur Busters Forums -- And remember, I will be contacting the winners via PM, so make you keep coming back to visit the forums, and log in!)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 25 Dec 2013, 17:52

I haven't participated in this discussion because I own an ASUS VG278HE. I feel like I got the wrong damn monitor! LOL. But in any case, good luck to you other guys vying in this competition. I will probably buy a display with G-Sync built-in as soon as they are available.

chang3d

Post by chang3d » 26 Dec 2013, 13:55

I'm chang3d! I'm a software engineer + robotics enthusiast. I play a little games here and there.

My favorite article is http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

My plans for G-Sync is to hook it up to my VG248QE and see if losing everything but displayport video-only is worth it!

tannerman917

Post by tannerman917 » 26 Dec 2013, 14:16

Hi guys! My name's Tanner, and I'm a younger tech enthusiast. I really enjoy working on/modifying electronics and cars. I've had experience in repairing phones, computers, and (hopefully in the near future) monitors! :D I've also worked with my dad on his older Porsches and my VW Passat. Fahrvergnügen! I had a Losi RC car that I replaced the servos on, and with my new VG248QE and GSIII, I have some new gadgets to mess with! If any of you have any good stock(ish) ROMs as an alternative to TouchWiz, let me know! I'm also an aspiring audiophile, and really enjoy my vintage JVC receiver and EPI floor speakers.

I was first introduced to the BlurBusters when NewEgg had that great sale on the VG248QE and I did some research. I wanted a larger monitor that had a similar stand to the old 18" Dell that was really adjustable, and the high refresh rate and LightBoost mod that I discovered was just icing on the cake! Here's the link to the super-simple LightBoost mod post: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/. Been messing with the monitor today; love it! Had seen pt. 1 of the G-SYNC review a couple of weeks ago; really informative stuff! I just didn't realize I had a chance to get ahold of it until now. By the way, merry late Christmas to all of you who celebrate it, and a happy upcoming New Year!

As a racing video game enthusiast, I plan on using G-SYNC when I play BeamNG Drive (soft body physics/crash simulator) and Next Car Game (arcadey demolition derby-like crazy game; look up Nerd3 on Youtube, he just did a video on it a few days ago). I also play some first-person shooters (Crysis 2 is my favorite) and plenty of other indies. I'd also certainly do some testing and see how the system runs on an older/lower tier GPU, since I have a 650 Ti. Hopefully, I could provide some important input.

I realize there are some people who are more qualified than me to get one of these, and saying this might jinx my chances by coming across as a beg, but if I got one of these boards, it would be the coolest thing ever! Anyway, good luck to everyone else who entered, and see you around on the forums!
Last edited by tannerman917 on 28 Dec 2013, 11:16, edited 2 times in total.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 26 Dec 2013, 15:09

Hi, I am sharknice. I am from Minnesota and I have been into DIY technology since I was a young boy. I have been building my own PCs for over 10 years and built my own desk using electric actuators designed to hold a large amount of monitors. I am currently using a ASUS VG248QE as my main monitor powered by SLI 770s and the 120hz lightboost hack.
I am into hardcore gaming and I have played in competitive leagues and clans. My favorite genres are first person shooters and real time strategy games. Lately I have been playing a lot of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and Planetary Annihilation.
I used to be a programmer for a casual game company but now I do web development and make games as a hobby. I created a few games for the Xbox Live Indie Marketplace and have done some modding and map making for PC games. I have ideas for a lot of games I want to make in the future too.
I also have my own website and youtube channel that I regularly update with mostly gaming related content.

My favorite blurbuster page is the moving map test because the readability of the street names it makes it so easy to show the advantages of a low persistence display. http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... &pursuit=0

I am very excited for g-sync and plan on making a youtube video and a page on my web site describing how to install the g-sync add-on and the benefits of g-sync.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Dec 2013, 12:32

chang3d, tannerman97, and sharknice, thanks for your submissions!

tannerman917 -- You forgot to include your favourite blurbusters or testufo link. You can edit to insert the forgotten link.
chang3d -- As there is no minimum length -- yes -- for other readers reading this, this type of submission qualifies, too. ;) Usually, longer is preferred, as long as it's less than approximatey one browser screenful long.

Don't forget to come back to these forums and log in regularly -- winners are notified by PM, you know!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lowfat

Post by lowfat » 28 Dec 2013, 02:04

Hello my name is Brendon. I've been a general computer hardware enthusiast for the majority of my life. For the last 10 or so years it has been my predominant hobby. Mostly case modding and watercooling but pretty much anything I do computer related gets the best work I can possibly do. I do ATM and computer/POS repair for a living so I don't see the modifications being all that difficult.

Like most other people, my favourite article would be the Lightboost one http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/. Back in April it caused me to 'upgrade' from a 7260x1440 Surround setup to a single VG248QE. And I couldn't be happier. Although it was likely the addition of the ToastyX Strobelight section what I liked most. Made it completely effortless to add Lightboost.

As for G-SYNC usage. Lightboost w/o the requirement to install a hack is what I am looking forward to the most. That is assuming what the rumours say is true. The prevention of tearing and stuttering seems interesting, but only in conjunction w/ backlight strobing.

myxboxcnq

Post by myxboxcnq » 29 Dec 2013, 16:28

Hi, my name is Heng and I am from Canada. My username stands for my Xbox cool and quiet, I modified many Xbox 360 and fixed many RRODs. I got good soldering skills as I mod a ps2 once. I got i7 970 hexacore and a pair of 680 in my DIY rig that should handle most games at high frame rate. One of my hobby is hoarding, so I got lots monitors, 120hzs, 1440ps and graphic cards.

The article in http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/ got me to purchase many lightboost monitors including VG248QE and BENQ XL2420TX.

My plan with G-SYNC is install it to my ASUS VG248QE and post some dos and don'ts on this board with pictures. Also I will compare the G-SYNC ASUS VG248QE against CRTs, BENQ XL2420TX, ASUS VG236H, Playstation 3D Display, and other monitors and tvs to compare screen tearing and stutter and input lag.
Last edited by myxboxcnq on 31 Dec 2013, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

CoolOppo

Post by CoolOppo » 29 Dec 2013, 22:08

Hello, I'm Max! I don't necessarily have a particular thing I'm an expert in, but I am experienced in server hosting and some programming. I guess you could say that I'm a jack of all trades, but a master of none. I also love playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, which is a very fast-paced shooter, and you have to react very quickly in a majority of situations; LightBoost is wonderful in this regard. I actually bought an NVidia 660 to replace my Radeon 6850 specifically for LightBoost! I have built a five different computers for myself and my friends, and I can certainly handle the task of upgrading my monitor! ;) I double checked, and I meet all of the requirements from NVIDIA.

I would have to say that my favorite Blur Busters page is the HOWTO (I guess), but it's really just for the reason that it features the ToastyX Easy LightBoost app! That thing is so awesome, it makes using LightBoost so much easier to activate, and the ability to use it on AMD/ATI graphics cards is very nice. The link is located here: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

I plan to use G-SYNC to improve my gameplay in Counter-Strike, as well as other games that have a framerate that stutters more, such as Rust. The ability to smooth out the stutters and framerate drops sounds so awesome, I can't wait to see how it is. Whether I win or not, I'm going to try and get an upgrade chip; G-SYNC just sounds too cool to miss out on, especially since I'm fortunate enough to have the only currently upgradeable monitor!