motion blur : size and hertz help please

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ahmedpc03

motion blur : size and hertz help please

Post by ahmedpc03 » 23 Sep 2018, 07:57

hi

need help please to make a decision to buy a monitor pls and would like to understand the motion blur causes

i would like to buy an ips 1080p monitor to use it for my new setup (a pc only for web browsing and small things) not for gaming

and i would like to buy an ips 60hz 1080p monitor

monitor response time and input lag is important for me

my question is

if i would like to buy and ips monitor with 5ms response time, for example 27 or 32 inches

is the bigger monitor having more motion blur than the smaller one or its not necessary ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: motion blur : size and hertz help please

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Sep 2018, 13:04

Motion blur is image speed dependant for a given framerate (e.g. 60fps always has 1/60sec motion blur on a sample-and-hold display), and doubling refresh rate can halve motion blur. So higher refresh rate is important if you hate motion blur.

Bigger monitor means faster motionspeeds for the same resolution, which can result in more motion blur. 1920 pixels per second on a 48" 1080p screen is twice as fast as 1920 pixels per second on a 24" 1080p screen, since the pixels are bigger on bigger displays. If viewing distance is unchanged, that can result in more motion blur. However, if you maintain same FOV (e.g. 30 degree field-of-view), like sitting twice as far back from a 48" display as with a 24" display -- then the motion blur is the same as before, for the same resolution, for the same panel tech.

Also, pixel response speed doesn't affect motion blur when the pixel response is faster than roughly half a refresh cycle. 60Hz is 1/60sec which is 16.7ms. So at 60 Hertz there will be little noticeable blur difference between 1ms vs 5ms vs 8ms.

So that's where refresh rate matters a lot more.
You'll get a LOT less blur with a 120Hz 5ms display than a 60Hz 1ms display.

Have you considered a 165Hz IPS panel if you hate motion blur?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!