LG 24GM77 Settings

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Jfe

LG 24GM77 Settings

Post by Jfe » 18 Dec 2018, 18:38

Hello guys, I have question I read this review https://display-corner.epfl.ch/index.php/LG_24GM77 and I found that using Factory Settings is good but could someone explain me why?

There are tests with different settings like (Contrast: 50 RGB: 52, 49, 58) and I don't know if it's better to keep default one or just found what I like.

I would like to know how can I see difference between default ones and the changed in terms of these tests.

Thanks for any answer.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LG 24GM77 Settings

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Dec 2018, 20:35

Some monitors come with very good factory-default settings. As one of many examples, I know ViewSonics are pre-calibrated with great color, for example. It's possible LG may have targeted that.

While this monitor is reportedly a very good inexpensive entry level 144Hz monitor (cheaper in Europe) - its strobing is worse than LG24GM79.

Croatian eSports player sprEEEzy (I recently started moderating #monitor-tech-talk on sprEEEzy's discord server on his invitation) is using the LG24GM77 monitor and loves it. (He doesn't use strobing AFAIK)

Currently, the near-identical LG24GM79 has replaced the LG24GM77 has has better motion blur reduction. With strobing turned off, both monitors seem to have the same 144Hz quality.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Jfe

Post by Jfe » 19 Dec 2018, 01:51

So should I stick with factory settings?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Dec 2018, 15:59

Depends on your goals, methinks.
Some players like brighter/bleached gammas to see shadows in competitive gameplay.
Others prefer the more saturated/darker colors.

I just asked sprEEEzy on discord and he said for his LG24GM77:

"....Brightness 38, Cont 52, Picture Mode: Custom, DAS Mode: On, Game Mode: Off, Sharpness: 50, Black Stabilizer: 70, Response time: Middle, Colors - Red: 50, Green: 34, Blue: 30, Gamma: Gamma 1..."

Obviously, gamma 1 may be extremely bright, and Game Mode is usually mainly for 60Hz/consoles (quality vs lag) instead of 144Hz PC (no effect). Though it'd be interesting to test Game Mode ON/OFF to see if any effect at 144Hz.

IMPORTANT: Before you adjust, please write down the settings before you change them!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!