BenQ XL2740 - 27” 1080p - 240hz - Should I wait?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
A Solid lad

Re: BenQ XL2740 - 27” 1080p - 240hz - Should I wait?

Post by A Solid lad » 28 Jan 2019, 02:49

Hmm, interesting Chief!
The thought of those values being editable is so logical, but it hasn't crossed my mind.
Anyway, I'll tinker around with the ini file and send it to you when I'm done. (At least for the XL2540 and XL2740.)
My intention wasn't to make the strobe utility look bad, by the way.
Getting the OD gain adjustable via the strobe utility would be the real cake now.
...Also, a strobing on-off toggle would be great as well, if it's possible.
Having to enable the service menu and toggling blur reduction there+adjusting the intensity setting every time I want to play/test blur reduction, gets jarring real quick.
Just some tips. (Again, if they are possible.)
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2019, 02:57

A Solid lad wrote:Getting the OD gain adjustable via the strobe utility would be the real cake now.
Download Entech Taiwan SoftMCCS and try all 256 VCP codes to see which one adjusts the Overdrive Gain.

If you discover one, I can add it to Strobe Utility and even auto-reset it everytime it changes (so it survives power resets!)

But I've already told a few people to do this, and nobody has ever found a VCP code for Overdrive Gain (VESA Monitor Control Command Set 2.2, using DDC/CI transmission over the video cable, to transmit commands from PC to monitor). So I'm not sure if you should bother trying. However, the other person mainly tested VCP codes 0xE0 through 0xFF .... Someone will have to manually try all 256 codes (even codes that are mislabelled like "Image adjustment" or "Geometry") to figure out if any one of them is OD Gain. But, I know a dump of all 256 values was made and none matched the OD Gain in the Factory menu. And so, it's now a longshot since at least 3 people (Before you) have tried to hunt down the OD Gain VCP code.
A Solid lad wrote:...Also, a strobing on-off toggle would be great as well, if it's possible.
That's the catch! On many BenQs it doesn't let me enable/disable strobe via VCP. If there's a code available to do so, it can be added.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 28 Jan 2019, 12:28

I have no idea why Benq hasn't yet put the 10 or 20 most usable OD steps into the monitor's regular OSD.
I understand them not wanting to put a 100 step adjustment AMA setting in the OSD, because that would enable people to set their monitors up in a way that would look really bad, and since there are many-many stupid people out there, the monitor would be deemed bad, just because it can be set up badly.
(Seen this below my video reviews of the alienware 240hz screens...just because the 3rd OD preset on the AW2518H and HF is too aggressive, many people recommend to "steer clear" of those monitors... those people usually doesn't even know what is overdrive itself... they call the extensive overshoot a "glitch with the panel", and speculate that all 240hz 24.5" panels have a manufacturing fault...
all the while those alienwares had some of the best overdrive presets I've ever seen, with virtually no overshoot on normal mode... you just have to use the right setting, but people seem to think the lower settings cause more input lag, because they mistake response times for input lag...)
But there are at least 20 steps in the factory menu, which all look good, ranging from: "just not enough OD", to "too much OD".

Imo, OD should ba a 20 step adjustment, just like Black Equalizer.

It should be like this:

AMA Preset:
OFF
High
Premium
Custom ---> 0-20
Last edited by A Solid lad on 15 Mar 2019, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.

saw141

Post by saw141 » 13 Mar 2019, 20:35

Solid Lad put this helpful video up today.
phpBB [video]

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2019, 06:50

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 15 Mar 2019, 05:27

...I love you guys.