What am I seeing/experiencing? VA panel

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Bamboo

What am I seeing/experiencing? VA panel

Post by Bamboo » 26 Jan 2020, 16:05

Hi! :)

Bought a used pc. With it came a VA 2560x1440 165hz overclocked. Acer z321qu with GSync hardware.
Although this is a GSync monitor it doesn't have ULMB.
This is my first modern monitor. Haven't gamed in years.

Playing Farcry 1. Overdrive off, normal or extreme. With or without a cap at 162hz. Gsync on or off.
Facing a wall. Between me and the wall is an object.
If I turn slowly the object leaves pixels behind it. They are colored blacl like the object. This is ghosting I think.
This is because the pixel respons time is too slow right?

Just looking at the wall.
If I turn really, really slow the wall looks good.
Anything faster than that it feels like my eyes can't keep up.
I think this is also because of slow pixel respons?
I can't see ghosting, like after the object in front of the wall, but the pixels are no faster beeing a wall than beeing an object.
It's the whole wall with all it's pixels lagging behind. But since they all do that at the same time the graphics seems "okay".
Since some pixels have a short travel(might start at black and end on just a little brighter), while others have a much longer travel(starting at black and ending on white), it should be a big smear i think.
But it's not.

Also I guess the pixels are individuals. So even if all would start at black and stop at white they will complete in a different ammount of time?
So when the respons time i too slow(they are not done before the next frame is drawn) the difference in transition time should be visible?
If the respons time is fast enough I get that the different transition times wouldn't be visible since they are all done anyway before the next frame is drawn.
What is going on?

jorimt

Re: What am I seeing/experiencing? VA panel

Post by jorimt » 26 Jan 2020, 16:38

Bamboo wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 16:05
Playing Farcry 1. Overdrive off, normal or extreme. With or without a cap at 162hz. Gsync on or off.
Facing a wall. Between me and the wall is an object.
If I turn slowly the object leaves pixels behind it. They are colored blacl like the object. This is ghosting I think.
This is because the pixel respons time is too slow right?
That is typical dark smear on VA panels. Some VA panels have less than others, but this is a common weakness for VA panel types when displaying darker transitions in motion. TN and IPS are not nearly as prone to this issue.
Bamboo wrote:
Just looking at the wall.
If I turn really, really slow the wall looks good.
Anything faster than that it feels like my eyes can't keep up.
I think this is also because of slow pixel respons?
Again, VA typically has the slowest pixel response of the panel types, but all sample-and-hold panel types (VA, IPS, TN) are prone to image persistence blur at finite framerates + high speed panning, regardless of their GtG transitions. Such blur can be reduced with strobing, black frame insertion, etc.
Bamboo wrote:
Also I guess the pixels are individuals. So even if all would start at black and stop at white they will complete in a different ammount of time?
VA is weakest with the darker transitions, and typically fares better with lighter transitions.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Bamboo

Re: What am I seeing/experiencing? VA panel

Post by Bamboo » 27 Jan 2020, 12:58

Thank you