Compensating for black frame insertion's loss of brightness

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Orange

Compensating for black frame insertion's loss of brightness

Post by Orange » 24 May 2020, 09:09

I hope this is the right place to post this. I am running my PC's output (GTX 1080) to a TV. It's a budget TV and the panel response is pretty poor so I get pretty bad motion smearing. The TV does offer black frame insertion which helps with gaming a lot, of course the drawback is that it makes the image much dimmer.

I know this is just part of how BFI works- the image will be less bright. Is there anything I can do to compensate for this in some way? I imagine I could increase the brightness or gamma from the nvidia control panel which would help a little but washes out colors rather quickly.

Anything else I can adjust, or suggestions on how to manipulate the gamma or brightness or other settings to make it a bit brighter?

Dirty Scrubz

Re: Compensating for black frame insertion's loss of brightness

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 26 May 2020, 00:40

Nope there's nothing that compensates for backlight brightness. If you enjoy BFI, I'd invest in a benq zowie display.