LG 27GN950-B

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Joel D

LG 27GN950-B

Post by Joel D » 31 Dec 2020, 04:16

After waiting and waiting... and being unimpressed with the monitor market now, THIS seems to be somewhat promising. Just wish they made a 32" version. But its 4k @ 144hz, and NanoIPS. Great specs on paper anyway.. so what do you all think ?

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gn9 ... ng-monitor

Stevie66

Re: LG 27GN950-B

Post by Stevie66 » 31 Dec 2020, 09:37

4k at 27" and 144hz only, 2 passes for me.
I'll be interested in 4k at 32" and at least 240hz when we have GPUs that can run it probably in 2 generations from now

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 31 Dec 2020, 10:16

It has a fan, is from LG and the quality control seems pretty bad after reading up on this monitor.

SirensOW

Post by SirensOW » 31 Dec 2020, 12:27

This will likely be the best 4K gaming monitor until at least the end of year 2021. I'd say buy it if you need it TODAY and you feel the $800 is worth at least a years worth of gaming/whatever else you plan to use it for

howiec

Post by howiec » 31 Dec 2020, 14:05

I have 2 of them right now.

The 2nd one seems to be defective so I'm returning it. It was working at 4k 144Hz but now shows a blank screen for various resolutions and refresh rates, and severe corruption and flickering at 60Hz now. Seems like others have had their unit die on them too.

It's pretty good as an interim 4k monitor until better ones come out. I've been enjoying Cyberpunk2077 on it. Obviously competitive gaming is still gonna happen on my PG259QN and I guess other random content on my PG258Q.

From my Amazon review:

"Overall this is good value compared to current competitors, and its avg pixel response time seems adequate for 144Hz.

However, it has some serious issues (even after latest firmware update):

- 160Hz overclock mode frequently causes PC to crash & reboot when making display settings changes in Nvidia Control Panel. Regular 144Hz mode does not have this issue.

- Monitor stand does NOT allow you to tilt left/right! Height adjustment also doesn't go very low at all. I ended up spending another $135 on a monitor arm to overcome this.

- Screen has pretty noticeable glare compared to all my other monitors. Only way to overcome this is to lower room lights and/or increase monitor brightness which is not healthy for your eyes.

- Rear RGB light always flashes extremely bright when display turns on and cannot be disabled!!! wtf?

- Cannot customize quick-access display modes (e.g. SRGB, Reading). Stuck with Gamer1/2, FPS, RTS which don't have all the right options.

- Display turns off way too quickly when it does not detect an input signal. Automatic standby disabled has no effect on this."

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 31 Dec 2020, 14:40

Stevie66 wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 09:37
I'll be interested in 4k at 32" and at least 240hz when we have GPUs that can run it probably in 2 generations from now
Yea I used to be that way too. Until #1 - I realized I'd take 2x the resolution over 96 extra hz ANYDAY. I'm at 240fps/hz now and ehhhh. When I switch to 120hz I don't notice any difference that is bigger than the difference your eyes notice with a jump from 2k to 4k. So yea.. Thats a simple choice for me. 4k@120 is fine for me. 4k@144hz is prob awesome and literally negligible to 240hz.

But yes, I want 32" too. But no larger than that either. Its the sweet spot IMO. And I personally do not want the stretched screen stuff 24:9 or whatever. I'd like 16:9 but curved a little. Not exaggerated. So yes, THIS is the main issue.

And #2 - Thats WAY too long to wait. I want something asap. Tired of waiting. Been waiting all of 2019 cause I kept hearing how monitor tech is moving fast.
STOPchris wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 10:16
It has a fan, is from LG and the quality control seems pretty bad after reading up on this monitor.
Well actually LG makes the highest end panels. I know, I used to hate them too when I was less informed and less experienced. Even tried to keep my mom from buying one. But if you want quality, they or Sony are the only choice right now as far as best looking panels.

LG is one of the ONLY companies that guarantees they will make parts for and support all their electronics for 12 years ! Don't know if you know, but the new law has been companies only need to make parts for a product for 5 years now. And ALL companies take advantage of that. Except LG. They guarantee 12 years. Which for me, was great !
SirensOW wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 12:27
This will likely be the best 4K gaming monitor until at least the end of year 2021. I'd say buy it if you need it TODAY and you feel the $800 is worth at least a years worth of gaming/whatever else you plan to use it for
Yep. Totally agree. Exactly what I am thinking. (hopefully) -

The key point here is to know if NanoIPS is indeed much better than IPS ? I sure hope so. I'm unimpressed with IPS and I vomit at TN.
howiec wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 14:05
Dope ! Send us pics.

Weird what the others say - Glare ?? lol Thats something the screen specifically is designed not to do. Gotta be careful about reviews sometimes. Its competitors.

howiec

Post by howiec » 31 Dec 2020, 16:49

Joel D wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 14:40
Dope ! Send us pics.

Weird what the others say - Glare ?? lol Thats something the screen specifically is designed not to do. Gotta be careful about reviews sometimes. Its competitors.
Pics of my monitor setup? I took the 2nd one down and packed it because it's defective but here's a pic of the boxes. :lol:
Note that I had to buy monitor arms (the top-most box) as I mentioned above because the stand is definitely poorly designed.

Yes, there's significantly more glare than on my PG259QN and PG258Q. Here's a pic of the 27GN950 (left) and the PG259QN (right). I even angled the PG259QN towards the light too to make it fair but as you can see, there's way more glare on the LG. This pic is actually quite representative of what I see in person. As I said earlier, you have to turn the room lights down and/or monitor brightness up to minimize the glare but that's not good for your eyes.

I was going to keep 2 of them but with the defective unit and the flaws, I'm going to stick to just 1 plus my other 360 and 240 Hz Asus monitors until a nice 32" 4k monitor comes out hopefully soon in 2021.

Joel D

Post by Joel D » 31 Dec 2020, 18:13

Thanks for the pics ! When you got a chance would love to see some when its up and running compared to the Asus.

That is indeed ridiculous glare. WTF ? They specifically advertise it has a anti-glare screen/coating. Damn :-(

I agree man, can not wait for a 32" 4k @ at least 144hz, but 240hz would be nice of course.

When up and running and calibrated, etc.. do you feel the NanoIPS panel has proper color/contrast representation finally ? Like OLED ? At least compared to the Asus's normal IPS panels ? I've love to see a side by side shootout.

howiec

Post by howiec » 31 Dec 2020, 21:57

Joel D wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 18:13
Thanks for the pics ! When you got a chance would love to see some when its up and running compared to the Asus.

[...]

When up and running and calibrated, etc.. do you feel the NanoIPS panel has proper color/contrast representation finally ? Like OLED ? At least compared to the Asus's normal IPS panels ? I've love to see a side by side shootout.
Np. I could send pics of them side-by-side but I think it'd be misleading without professional/high-end camera/equipment vs just using my phone.

I don't do any professional photo/video editing but colors look great on the 27GN950 whether in SRGB mode or not. I would say that even in SRGB mode the colors are more saturated on the 27GN950 vs the PG259QN because this LG monitor doesn't actually clamp the gamut to SRGB which will hopefully be fixed in a firmware update.

Also, my PG259QN's factory calibration sheet states a pretty low avg delta E value whereas some reviewers show that out of the box, the 27GN950 has significantly higher avg values. So if you want accurate colors, you'll probably need to calibrate it.

STOPchris

Post by STOPchris » 01 Jan 2021, 01:50

Joel D wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 14:40
Stevie66 wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 09:37
Yea I used to be that way too. Until #1 - I realized I'd take 2x the resolution over 96 extra hz ANYDAY. I'm at 240fps/hz now and ehhhh. When I switch to 120hz I don't notice any difference that is bigger than the difference your eyes notice with a jump from 2k to 4k. So yea.. Thats a simple choice for me. 4k@120 is fine for me. 4k@144hz is prob awesome and literally negligible to 240hz.

But yes, I want 32" too. But no larger than that either. Its the sweet spot IMO. And I personally do not want the stretched screen stuff 24:9 or whatever. I'd like 16:9 but curved a little. Not exaggerated. So yes, THIS is the main issue.

And #2 - Thats WAY too long to wait. I want something asap. Tired of waiting. Been waiting all of 2019 cause I kept hearing how monitor tech is moving fast.
STOPchris wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 10:16
Well actually LG makes the highest end panels. I know, I used to hate them too when I was less informed and less experienced. Even tried to keep my mom from buying one. But if you want quality, they or Sony are the only choice right now as far as best looking panels.

LG is one of the ONLY companies that guarantees they will make parts for and support all their electronics for 12 years ! Don't know if you know, but the new law has been companies only need to make parts for a product for 5 years now. And ALL companies take advantage of that. Except LG. They guarantee 12 years. Which for me, was great !
SirensOW wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 12:27
Yep. Totally agree. Exactly what I am thinking. (hopefully) -

The key point here is to know if NanoIPS is indeed much better than IPS ? I sure hope so. I'm unimpressed with IPS and I vomit at TN.
howiec wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 14:05
Dope ! Send us pics.

You sound like you work for them.