Nvidia finally fixed color depth in custom resolutions?! (Confirmed)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
PedroPortnoy

Nvidia finally fixed color depth in custom resolutions?! (Confirmed)

Post by PedroPortnoy » 24 Jun 2021, 20:44

Hi everyone

I just noticed, after updating my nvidia game-ready drivers to 471.11, that I can now set a custom resolution (actually just custom refresh rate) on NVCP and still get 10-bit color depth.

Context: I recently noticed that every time I selected my custom 2560x1440 195Hz custom reolution, the color depth setting would be locked at 8-bit. After some googling, it seemed that it had been like this for years with custom resolutions, even if the resolution is native with referesh rate set to lower than the max rr supported by the monitor.

Can anyone confirm this is actually working now, and I didn't accidentaly make it work? :D

GPU/Monitor: RTX 3080 / Samsung Odyssey G7

EDIT: they actually did it: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverR ... 6854/en-us

"Added 10-bit color support for custom resolutions"
Last edited by PedroPortnoy on 25 Jun 2021, 08:54, edited 2 times in total.

StareX

Re: Nvidia finally fixed color depth in custom resolutions?!

Post by StareX » 25 Jun 2021, 01:33

Havent tested it yet but out of curiousty, why 195Hz?

PedroPortnoy

Re: Nvidia finally fixed color depth in custom resolutions?!

Post by PedroPortnoy » 25 Jun 2021, 05:59

StareX wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 01:33
Havent tested it yet but out of curiousty, why 195Hz?
I set it to 195Hz because of the brightness flickering this monitor suffers from when using VRR:

After some testing with this unit, I found out the flicker occurs every time the refresh rate reported by the monitor OSD crosses these values: 80, 104 and 200 Hz. These are exactley 40 Hz below official suported refresh rates for this monitor (120, 144 and 240 Hz). If refresh rate stays between 2 of those values, theres is no flickering. I tried to achieve that capping the framerate with RTSS to 190 FPS, but when from the moment the cap hits, for some reason the refresh on the osd randomly spikes to the max refresh rate set in the options (240 in this case), despite the frametimes being absolutely rock-solid, thus causing flickering; by seting a custom refresh rate to 195 Hz, these spikes still occur, but only to 195, not crossing the 200Hz value that causes the flickering.

What I basically do, depending on the performance I get in any given game, is to change the vrr range with CRU, the refresh rate in NVCP and setting a framerate cap to make sure the refresh rate stays between two values (like 125 and 195) so I can benefit from the VRR (and the implementation on this monitor is soooooo smooth) and not having that distracting flickering.

Theres is an option in the monitor OSD (named VRR control) that gets rid of the flickering, but it introduces micro stutter. No thanks.

Hope I explained it well enough, english is not my first language