Frametime spikes causing stutter in every game

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Yuiiski

Re: Frametime spikes causing stutter in every game

Post by Yuiiski » 20 Aug 2021, 06:29

shm0 wrote:
19 Aug 2021, 23:26
Hey there,

9700k - 3080ti here.

Just a few days ago, when you reported this message - I started to get performance spikes as well. Seemingly came out of nowhere.

I've improved it now by 1) unplugging any USB devices and/or unplugging your front panel USB connector (oddly enough, this fixes it for a lot of people.) 2) Checking Windows Devices and making sure that no devices are constantly pinging/checking for a connection to your PC - this can be a Smart TV, a Bluetooth device, and so on. 3) identifying where the spike is coming from - this can be difficult, but often you will figure out it by watching your Resource Monitor at the same time as gaming - watch for spiking in any of your other hardware. It can also be something like the power source to your computer is the culprit, or even a bad power bar. Also make sure all your Windows bloatware is turned off/set properly - disable Xbox stuff, disable auto uploading/p2p settings, all that crap that is on by default.

Now with that said, looking at your graph it looks like your spikes are consistent - meaning they happen at the same intervals - to me, this suggests something is causing that spike every 20-30 seconds or something? It must be something that is running that often - or your PC is trying to do something that often.

Hopefully this helps.
Hello there, thank you for responding. Sadly I have had these issues for years now so I have already tried everything you have mentioned multiple times to no avail. And in response to "your spikes are consistent - meaning they happen at the same intervals". That doesn't appear to be the case sadly, it just happened to look like that when I took the screenshot, the spikes are actually all over the place and have no pattern to them at all.

shm0

Post by shm0 » 20 Aug 2021, 11:17

Yuiiski wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 06:29
shm0 wrote:
19 Aug 2021, 23:26
Hey there,

9700k - 3080ti here.

Just a few days ago, when you reported this message - I started to get performance spikes as well. Seemingly came out of nowhere.

I've improved it now by 1) unplugging any USB devices and/or unplugging your front panel USB connector (oddly enough, this fixes it for a lot of people.) 2) Checking Windows Devices and making sure that no devices are constantly pinging/checking for a connection to your PC - this can be a Smart TV, a Bluetooth device, and so on. 3) identifying where the spike is coming from - this can be difficult, but often you will figure out it by watching your Resource Monitor at the same time as gaming - watch for spiking in any of your other hardware. It can also be something like the power source to your computer is the culprit, or even a bad power bar. Also make sure all your Windows bloatware is turned off/set properly - disable Xbox stuff, disable auto uploading/p2p settings, all that crap that is on by default.

Now with that said, looking at your graph it looks like your spikes are consistent - meaning they happen at the same intervals - to me, this suggests something is causing that spike every 20-30 seconds or something? It must be something that is running that often - or your PC is trying to do something that often.

Hopefully this helps.
Hello there, thank you for responding. Sadly I have had these issues for years now so I have already tried everything you have mentioned multiple times to no avail. And in response to "your spikes are consistent - meaning they happen at the same intervals". That doesn't appear to be the case sadly, it just happened to look like that when I took the screenshot, the spikes are actually all over the place and have no pattern to them at all.
Hmm, that sounds terribly frustrating.

My next suggestion would be to run Resource monitor at the same time as watching your Afterburner Hardware Monitor - and wait for the spikes and try to observe what specifically is causing it. Identifying where the root of the problem is coming from is the most important part, as it can literally be so many things. i.e. Image

For example, I was getting spikes in Escape From Tarkov - and although the problem still isn't perfect, I've improved it by adding the Tarkov Folder as an exception to Windows Defenders scans - I noticed the spikes were happening at the same time the hardware was spiking up in usage - so the connection seems to be there.

If you have been having this issue for years, have you tried testing a singleplayer game - perhaps it's network related? You could need a new modem from your ISP or network card. Narrowing down where the problem seems to be coming from is key.

It could also be your monitor - could be completely outside the actual PC itself - i.e. bad power bar, inconsistent power through your house to your PC. Could be even your mouse and keyboard. Make sure you turn off Game Mode in Windows, as it's not really meant for high end CPUs - and all the other windows stuff that could affect performance. I know it's a pain in the ass, trust me I know -but can't rule anything out.

Your motherboard also has onboard WiFi - make sure you disable that device from running, as WiFi will completely destroy performance as it searches for signals constantly.

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 08 Sep 2021, 13:47

Hi, a bit of an update. I just got another gaming PC, but instead of testing it at my house first, I took it to another house, it performed perfectly fine there, I played for like three hours without a single issue. I took it back to mine, plugged it in, and was instantly welcomed with stuttering in all my games which made it unplayable, I took it back to my friend's house and the stuttering remained... Surely this has to be electrical right?

It worked fine, I was playing Watch Dogs Legion, Battlefield V, even Minecraft perfectly fine at my friend's house but the moment I plugged in at my house the performance has basically dropped off of a cliff and reverted back to how the previous PC's performed....

dangerx

Post by dangerx » 06 May 2023, 02:19

hi if you could update us of what have you done . cuz i kinda did all of the things you did over these past 3 years and i came ton conclusion that is power related issue , so if u ever solve it pls lmk @yuiiski