ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Dec 2021, 19:03

Discorz wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 18:23
XG2431 MPRT Improvement vs Brightness.png
Very good, and very accurate.

The pulse with value is a percentage of a refresh cycle, and a strobe backlight's pulse width is the MPRT(100%) result.

Advanced note -- There is some minor error margin from the ultrashort (~0.1ms) phosphor decay of common backlight LEDs (which use blue LED chips, and white phosphor, and the common white LED phosphor is not perfectly instant despite being orders of magnitude faster than KSF phosphor) but this is just a rounding error here.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ysenojftw

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by ysenojftw » 07 Dec 2021, 00:47

I have been using normal purexp and it seems to be a little on the dim side, if I downloaded the strobe utility what would I have to change to give me a little bit more brightness? Any recommendations

AM_acc1q

Post by AM_acc1q » 07 Dec 2021, 01:16

ysenojftw wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 00:47
I have been using normal purexp and it seems to be a little on the dim side, if I downloaded the strobe utility what would I have to change to give me a little bit more brightness? Any recommendations
I believe it's the Strobe Pulse Width. Try 35; that's in the middle of Light and Normal.
Normal is way too dark for me.

You'll probably have to tweak Overdrive Gain and then Strobe Pulse Phase after changing that setting.

----------

@Chief Blur Buster
Are these settings from the Strobe Utility:
1) Stored in firmware?
2) Dependent on the specific input?

I mostly game in the Xbox. I noticed that if I set Windows to 120hz while on DP to create a Custom preset that'll work well for the Xbox, it looks really bad on the PC when I set Windows back to 240hz.
Is the trick to connect my PC via HDMI instead of DP when creating my Custom preset at 120hz? Will that allow me to effectively have 2 Custom profiles?

xenphor

Post by xenphor » 07 Dec 2021, 13:27

I would be interested in trying out BFI but I'm afraid my eyes won't be able to tolerate it for very long. For example, I'm not able to use interlaced resolutions like 1080i on an LCD. Since a lot of the content I want to use it for is older retro stuff that's locked at 60hz, I'm guessing the flickering would be even worse than at 120hz+. Do I have the right assumptions?

ysenojftw

Post by ysenojftw » 07 Dec 2021, 21:23

So I downloaded the strobe utility and I found 40/27/65 a good setting. The only issue is it just says pulse two times “ Strobe Pulse” not width or gain so I have no idea which ones I’m adjusting.
Attachments
A7866BBB-2D56-4A04-A613-8E5041E6AE7F.jpeg
A7866BBB-2D56-4A04-A613-8E5041E6AE7F.jpeg (5.84 MiB) Viewed 4978 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Dec 2021, 23:11

ysenojftw wrote:
Maximum brightness is at Pulse Width 40 (same as PureXP Light). It has more crosstalk though, so using a lower Hz + QFT mode (large Vertical Total) will help a lot for longer pulse widths.
ysenojftw wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 21:23
So I downloaded the strobe utility and I found 40/27/65 a good setting. The only issue is it just says pulse two times “ Strobe Pulse” not width or gain so I have no idea which ones I’m adjusting.
You just provided an excellent bug report that only occurs when you change Windows DPI -- can you quit/restart Strobe Utility after every windows DPI change? I'll try to have this bug fixed.

When I launch, this is what it looks like on my computer at 150% DPI:

But, if I change DPI in Control Panel while it's running in system tray, sometimes it screws up. Ditto if I plug/unplug a 2nd monitor (which sometimes forces a system-wide DPI change) -- this is common on my Razer 240Hz laptop, and your report just determined why this happens.

I've added this issue to the bug-tracking system, though it may not be a quick fix (framework bug). The first item is Width and the second item is Phase. You know when you're adjusting Width because brightness changes when you adjust Strobe Pulse Width.

Fortunately this is easily fixed simply by restarting the Strobe Utiity (right click system tray -> exit -> then restart Strobe Utility app).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Dec 2021, 23:16

xenphor wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 13:27
I would be interested in trying out BFI but I'm afraid my eyes won't be able to tolerate it for very long. For example, I'm not able to use interlaced resolutions like 1080i on an LCD. Since a lot of the content I want to use it for is older retro stuff that's locked at 60hz, I'm guessing the flickering would be even worse than at 120hz+. Do I have the right assumptions?
60Hz PureXP does indeed flicker way more than 120Hz, so your mileage will vary.

Some of us are not flicker-sensitive, and some of us get more eyestrain from motion blur, so that's why all current Blur Busters Approved monitors let the users choose a refresh rate from a wide strobe range, presets-free (unlike ULMB and other brands).

General Rules Of Thumb for 60 Hz Retro Friendly Strobing

You can make 60Hz single-strobe more tolerable with some techniques:
  • Use only for Fast Retro Content (sports video, Sonic Hedgehog, etc) where motion blur eyestrain can sometimes exceed flicker strain
  • Don't use 60Hz PureXP for reading stationary content, or reading text, or bright Windows Desktop
  • Use a dimmer setting (Ultra) if in dark room, or use a brighter setting (Normal or Light) if in bright room.
  • Use brighter room lighting
  • Sit further back from the screen
  • Use the Strobe Utility system tray icon to turn on/off PureXP just before/after launching your retro content
  • Re-tune 60Hz with QFT VT4640 (quadruple the VT of 240Hz) and Strobe Utility, to reduce eyestrain-inducing strobe crosstalk, use low blue light / warmer color temperature, and isolate as many eyestrain factors so they don't stack on top of flicker eyestrain
Remember LCDs are bigger and brighter than yesterday's CRT tubes, imagine sitting right up close to a 60Hz television set. So you will see flicker much more. Also, it's squarewave flicker rather than phosphor-fade flicker.

Discontinue use of 60Hz PureXP if you get eyestrain -- that said, Blur Busters fully believes in giving users complete choice of any-Hz strobing from retro-friendly Hz through max Hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Dec 2021, 23:31

AM_acc1q wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 01:16
@Chief Blur Buster
Are these settings from the Strobe Utility:
1) Stored in firmware?
2) Dependent on the specific input?

I mostly game in the Xbox. I noticed that if I set Windows to 120hz while on DP to create a Custom preset that'll work well for the Xbox, it looks really bad on the PC when I set Windows back to 240hz.
Is the trick to connect my PC via HDMI instead of DP when creating my Custom preset at 120hz? Will that allow me to effectively have 2 Custom profiles?
Using Strobe Utility for a Gaming Console

1. Tune with Strobe Utility on a PC at the same Hz and resolution you plan to use with a console
2. Disconnect XG2431 from PC and then connect your console. Or use input switching (PC DisplayPort and Console HDMI)
3. Done

Strobe Utility settings is stored in XG2431 firmware non-volatile memory, but there's only 1 profile, and the same PureXP Custom profile is used on all inputs, so you can conveniently tune on DP (with PC) and then use HDMI (on console). So you must tune the same mode on PC, to get it to carry over to an XBox or PlayStation. So yes, you can use PureXP Custom on XBox or PlayStation.

If you game at 1080p120, then tune standard EDID 1080p 120Hz (not QFT) on a PC first, before connecting a 120Hz capable console.

If you game at 1080p60, then tune standard EDID 1080p 60Hz (not QFT) on a PC first, before connecting a 60Hz source (cable box, older console, etc)

You need to retune PureXP Custom everytime you want to use the best quality for a different signal (different Hz, different EDID, different QFT, different Vertical Total, etc). So tune the same mode on PC before disconnecting the PC, carrying the monitor to the console, and connecting to the console.

Consoles do not support QFT or Large Vertical Totals, so only use Strobe Utility to re-tune the standard 60Hz mode or 120Hz mode, prior to connecting a gaming console.

It is recommended to break-in your monitor first -- use it for a few days -- and make sure it's already powered for at least an hour before retuning with Strobe Utility, or beginning to game. LCD pixel response is slightly faster (less crosstalk) on warmer panels that has at least some hours on them.

(Ever forgotten a frozen LCD outdoors in the middle of winter? (watch, phone, digital thermometer, car dash display, etc) -- the display reacts much slower. But even just 2 degrees of temperature even makes a difference to strobe crosstalk improvement when re-tuning with Strobe Utility).

ysenojftw

Post by ysenojftw » 08 Dec 2021, 00:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 23:11
ysenojftw wrote:
Maximum brightness is at Pulse Width 40 (same as PureXP Light). It has more crosstalk though, so using a lower Hz + QFT mode (large Vertical Total) will help a lot for longer pulse widths.
ysenojftw wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 21:23
You just provided an excellent bug report that only occurs when you change Windows DPI -- can you quit/restart Strobe Utility after every windows DPI change? I'll try to have this bug fixed.

When I launch, this is what it looks like on my computer at 150% DPI:

But, if I change DPI in Control Panel while it's running in system tray, sometimes it screws up. Ditto if I plug/unplug a 2nd monitor (which sometimes forces a system-wide DPI change) -- this is common on my Razer 240Hz laptop, and your report just determined why this happens.

I've added this issue to the bug-tracking system, though it may not be a quick fix (framework bug). The first item is Width and the second item is Phase. You know when you're adjusting Width because brightness changes when you adjust Strobe Pulse Width.

Fortunately this is easily fixed simply by restarting the Strobe Utiity (right click system tray -> exit -> then restart Strobe Utility app).
What’s strange is I haven’t changed my windows dpi in probably like 5 years so idk lol. I also only use one monitor, but I’ll try a restart I did this after installing without a restart. After more messing around I found what someone posted 3/4 pages back for their 240hz settings to work the best for me also.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Dec 2021, 00:36

ysenojftw wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 00:13
What’s strange is I haven’t changed my windows dpi in probably like 5 years so idk lol. I also only use one monitor, but I’ll try a restart I did this after installing without a restart. After more messing around I found what someone posted 3/4 pages back for their 240hz settings to work the best for me also.
What's your exact version of Windows? It might be a system font difference. I'd like to diagnose why this happens to you...