Scaled Resolution Editor (SRE)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ToastyX

Scaled Resolution Editor (SRE)

Post by ToastyX » 01 Feb 2022, 16:00

Introducing Scaled Resolution Editor (SRE), a new program that lets you edit the list of GPU-scaled resolutions that are automatically added by the graphics driver. For AMD GPUs, you can also add custom VSR resolutions.

SRE is useful if you want to add lower resolutions when using a monitor that only supports G-SYNC or strobing at the native resolution, or if you want to delete resolutions to prevent games from using them. If you delete every resolution except the native resolution in CRU and then delete every resolution using SRE, there should be no other resolutions available. One exception is 3200x1800 with AMD GPUs if you have a 4K monitor. If you find any other exceptions, let me know what resolution and what GPU you have.

Crazyness

Re: Scaled Resolution Editor (SRE)

Post by Crazyness » 01 Feb 2022, 17:17

First of all..Toasty ty 4 all d good work you are doing! Keep it up!

You literaly helped a countless gamers all around d globe,and i personaly TY 4 that!

also If I'm understanding it correctly,i can force 4 example 960x540 resolution in a game that doesnt support it?
in that game lowest i can go is 1129x635.. bcs 50% on 1920x1080 is not supported by windows..
i am talking about NIS(NvidiaImageScaling) as reference bcs this game is using same reference..

also how is it that i can use 960x540 in 4 example CSGO but i can not use it in this game(For Honor)

also 1 more thing..

can i use this program as reference 2 DLDSR
so i want 2 use 960x540 as native..curently DLDSR only works on 1920x1080 as seing that res as native..

I am on rtx30 series curently..

edit:
still confused regarding NIS as upscaling and DLDSR as downscaling :)

ToastyX

Post by ToastyX » 01 Feb 2022, 19:09

SRE is separate from NVIDIA Image Scaling and DLDSR. SRE can't force a game to use a resolution. That's up to the game. The resolutions should be available in any game that uses the Windows resolution list.

NVIDIA Image Scaling does add 960x540 if you have a 1920x1080 monitor, and you can add 960x540 with SRE even if NIS is turned off. Windows will not list resolutions less than 600 lines in the display settings, but they should be available for games to use. Resolutions less than 600 lines but greater than 640x480 are still listed in Advanced display settings > Display adapter properties > List All Modes.

To change the native resolution, you would have to use CRU. I don't know if that will affect DLDSR. In the future, I want to rewrite CRU and offer a way to force a single resolution with a hotkey or taskbar menu.

disq

Post by disq » 01 Feb 2022, 21:03

Considering that i'm a noob at this stuff, i've one custom resolution that i created using NVIDIA CP:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (5.06 KiB) Viewed 7797 times
But when i use SRE it doesn't show up there. What does this mean?
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (9.14 KiB) Viewed 7797 times
I'm using DP with a GSYNC monitor, so, shouldn't this res use GPU scaling?
edit the list of GPU-scaled resolutions that are automatically added by the graphics driver
This might be it, sometimes i just struggle to understand all this :D

ToastyX

Post by ToastyX » 01 Feb 2022, 21:39

disq wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 21:03
Considering that i'm a noob at this stuff, i've one custom resolution that i created using NVIDIA CP:

But when i use SRE it doesn't show up there. What does this mean?

I'm using DP with a GSYNC monitor, so, shouldn't this res use GPU scaling?
NVIDIA custom resolutions are separate, but those can also be scaled. SRE is for editing the list of scaled resolutions added by default. Look in the PC list. 1920x1440 is one such resolution. Chances are the monitor doesn't define 1920x1440. It's one of the default scaled resolutions automatically added by the driver. That's what SRE edits. If you delete 1920x1440 in SRE and reboot, it will disappear from the list unless the monitor happens to define 1920x1440. Until now, there was no easy way of deleting the resolution if you didn't want it. SRE can also add resolutions to that list.

disq

Post by disq » 01 Feb 2022, 22:38

Thanks a lot for the explanation ToastyX and everything you do :)

Crazyness

Post by Crazyness » 02 Feb 2022, 00:35

ToastyX wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 19:09
SRE is separate from NVIDIA Image Scaling and DLDSR. SRE can't force a game to use a resolution. That's up to the game. The resolutions should be available in any game that uses the Windows resolution list.

NVIDIA Image Scaling does add 960x540 if you have a 1920x1080 monitor, and you can add 960x540 with SRE even if NIS is turned off. Windows will not list resolutions less than 600 lines in the display settings, but they should be available for games to use. Resolutions less than 600 lines but greater than 640x480 are still listed in Advanced display settings > Display adapter properties > List All Modes.

To change the native resolution, you would have to use CRU. I don't know if that will affect DLDSR. In the future, I want to rewrite CRU and offer a way to force a single resolution with a hotkey or taskbar menu.
your answer is logical and this game i swear 2 you there is 0 logic behind it..

and yes i used CRU ..

and yes its listed in List All Modes

but unfortunate NIS will not list 960x540..
1129x635 is the smallest(when i tried 2 solve this issue i find out that Nvidia under 50% scaling have instead 960x540 its says not supported by windows

Input Resolution for 1080p Output

85%
1632 x 918

77%
1477 x 831

67%
1280 x 720

59%
1129 x 635

50%
Not Supported by Windows )

and whats even more unfortunate ..no matter what i tried this ilogical game called For Honor will not use 960x540..
i set that res as native tried with different timings..deleted everything from CRU and yet..nothing
just plane and simple nothing..

also..bcs i am on 390hz with higher VTs than usual i need 2 use DisplayID in Extension block..
4me it was ok didnt had any issue with that,but i noticed that people will have hard time finding that and using it.
i understand that CRU was made when VTs was not an issue,but now kinda is..
so maybe you can make those specific cases more user friendly..
i am saying this in regard 2 your proposal 2 rewrite CRU..

also 2 get back on SRE if i am only Display scaling gamer,should i consider this or not?

and final question will be: i am gonna use SRE in situation when i want 2 gain more fps,
or am i gonna use SRE when i just want 2 experiment with different resolutions than added by default?

so basicaly i am asking what was motivation 2 write this type of utility(can i call it utility? :) )

TY 1 more time!

ToastyX

Post by ToastyX » 02 Feb 2022, 18:44

Crazyness wrote:
02 Feb 2022, 00:35
also..bcs i am on 390hz with higher VTs than usual i need 2 use DisplayID in Extension block..
4me it was ok didnt had any issue with that,but i noticed that people will have hard time finding that and using it.
i understand that CRU was made when VTs was not an issue,but now kinda is..
so maybe you can make those specific cases more user friendly..
i am saying this in regard 2 your proposal 2 rewrite CRU..
The plan is to consolidate all types of resolutions into one list and automatically manage extension blocks, but this is difficult to implement which is why I need to redesign CRU from scratch to be able to do this.

Crazyness wrote:
also 2 get back on SRE if i am only Display scaling gamer,should i consider this or not?

and final question will be: i am gonna use SRE in situation when i want 2 gain more fps,
or am i gonna use SRE when i just want 2 experiment with different resolutions than added by default?
If you use SRE to delete all the resolutions, then only the resolutions defined by the monitor will be available. Then if you use CRU to delete all the resolutions except the ones you need, you have full control over what resolutions are sent to the monitor.

Crazyness wrote:
so basicaly i am asking what was motivation 2 write this type of utility(can i call it utility? :) )
Several reasons:
  • Some monitors only support certain features like G-SYNC and strobing at the native resolution. While CRU can add scaled lower resolutions if GPU scaling is enabled, SRE is much simpler since you don't have to worry about timing parameters or refresh rates. All the features and refresh rates at the native resolution will be available with the scaled resolutions.
  • There was no easy way to delete the default scaled resolutions if you didn't want them. Several times people have asked for ways to delete certain resolutions that were automatically added by the driver. Even if you deleted all the resolutions except the native resolution with CRU, these scaled resolutions would still be there.
  • There was no easy way to add custom VSR resolutions with AMD. People tried to use CRU, but higher resolutions added with CRU would be sent to the monitor instead of being scaled by the GPU, so that only worked if the monitor could scale down higher resolutions.

Crazyness

Post by Crazyness » 03 Feb 2022, 18:44

I menage 2 do it finaly :)

so SRE delete everything then CRU delete everything
add via Display ID 960x540 tick the native box ,and i did it.

Semi happy 2 be honest
its GPU scaling ...there is no option for Monitor scaling anymore.
translate that 2 game..and you have some sort of filter added..even thou it should be clear as almost as native..

also i added 1920x1080 via NVCP bcs if i add original native 1080p via CRU..540p is out..can not be selected..
so i tried via NVCP and worked..1 thing thou..
i will mention 4Honor game 1 more time..

so if i want 2 play 540p ingame i can not have 1080p selected on desktop..
it will just switch 2 1080 with some sort of scaling like NIS is ON even thou its OFF

NIS works as 540p is native..so 4x selected 1920x1080 reporting..
DLDSR gives 2 res as usual..
1;78 =1280x720
2;25 = 1440x810??
810p is 21:9 aspect..

TY Toasty 1 more time!!
Keep it up,dont stop!

EDIT:
when you select 540p as native,and you want 2 get back on 1080p added via NVCP
sometimes you need 2 click on customize and retick 1080p in custom resolution field..
bcs it will untick randomly..

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Feb 2022, 13:35

ToastyX wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 16:00
Introducing Scaled Resolution Editor (SRE), a new program that lets you edit the list of GPU-scaled resolutions that are automatically added by the graphics driver. For AMD GPUs, you can also add custom VSR resolutions.

SRE is useful if you want to add lower resolutions when using a monitor that only supports G-SYNC or strobing at the native resolution, or if you want to delete resolutions to prevent games from using them. If you delete every resolution except the native resolution in CRU and then delete every resolution using SRE, there should be no other resolutions available. One exception is 3200x1800 with AMD GPUs if you have a 4K monitor. If you find any other exceptions, let me know what resolution and what GPU you have.

Hey ToastyX.

Thank you for posting your great stuff here!

Can Scaled Resolution Editor also double as a Quick Frame Transport Editor, with the standard QFT formula that Blur Busters is credited for? (basically a math formula on automatic max-Hz timings to create a low-Hz large-VBI timing of a target Hz, of exactly the same horizontal scan rate and same pixel clock).

Some monitors can do low-lag 60Hz and 120Hz strobing in 1/240sec, if the 240Hz mode is modified with an ultralarge VBI (e.g. VT2250 or VT4500 in place of VT1125 in the 240Hz EDID or whatever it uses)

The QFT formula works on all signals, including DisplayPort, even though the QFT nomenclature was invented by HDMI Forum, and actually reduces the input lag of strobing by allowing faster delivery + faster scanout (for earlier strobe flash), with less crosstalk (because more LCD GtG fits in VBI). My XG2431 can do 13 millisecond blanking intervals at 60Hz!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!