All games have massive Frame Rate Judder.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
spacediver

Re: All games have massive Frame Rate Judder.

Post by spacediver » 14 May 2016, 09:48

I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but to eliminate the mouse as a factor, try using keyboard only (e.g. strafe in one direction for a while), and seeing if the stutter persists.

Jbinn

Post by Jbinn » 15 May 2016, 14:43

spacediver wrote:I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but to eliminate the mouse as a factor, try using keyboard only (e.g. strafe in one direction for a while), and seeing if the stutter persists.
I've tried this I still get the stutter. IT's not as prominent but it's still there, camera pan makes it mostly pronounced.
Last edited by Jbinn on 15 May 2016, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

Jbinn

Post by Jbinn » 15 May 2016, 14:46

Glide wrote:
Jbinn wrote:Well I owned a 970 and it had the exact same problem so I don't agree with that statement.
Makes me wonder if you're just noticing it more now because you upgraded your GPU but not your CPU and the difference between maximum and minimum framerate got larger.
Jbinn wrote:I'm not ignoring anything I've tried all of the things you've told me to and they didn't work so obviously it's something else.
Well you say you've tried these things but any time you posted videos/benchmarks you were not.
Jbinn wrote:honestly saying NVIDIA provides smoother gameplay is a pretty fanboyish remark considering theres no solid proof of that
Look at any review site which posts frame-time graphs and it should be pretty clear.
It almost seems like AMD have to optimize for this on a per-game basis, while NVIDIA have it figured out universally.
Jbinn wrote:Even @ 30fps on a XBOX 360 it plays much smoother than my PC with VSYNC disabled.

My frame rate didn't make much of a difference I got maybe 5-10fps from going from my old build to this average seems about the same. I have tried these things it takes a long time to upload videos, probably has taken a awhole day to upload those videos that I have so it's hard to upload a video of everything I've tried, plus some games don't show the OSD.

And maybe NVIDIA might be slightly smoother not sure, but I had the same stutter on my NVIDIA card so I highly doubt this is the case.

and shouldnt a PC be smoother than a console with VSYNC disabled? thats what everyone else says and what everyone else claims.

Heres another question why does running borderless window and capping frames cause stutter every 3-5 seconds? This doesnt seem normal and it does it in games where I get 300+fps like CSGO. Game runs smooth as silk but every 3-5 seconds I get 1-2 seconds of stutter but it only happens when I cap my FPS in windowed. Anyone know why?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 16 May 2016, 04:05

> Game runs smooth as silk but every 3-5 seconds I get 1-2 seconds of stutter but it only happens when I cap my FPS in windowed. Anyone know why?

Read the third post in this thread, and then read the entire thread again.

Jbinn

Post by Jbinn » 16 May 2016, 15:48

lexlazootin wrote:> Game runs smooth as silk but every 3-5 seconds I get 1-2 seconds of stutter but it only happens when I cap my FPS in windowed. Anyone know why?

Read the third post in this thread, and then read the entire thread again.
I read it but I still don't understand why with windowed mode and FPS cap I get these small stutters... It doesn't happen in all games just a few so it doesn't make sense. If I cap frames in windowed mode on RUST it does the stutter... But if I do it on CSGO or battlefield 4 it makes the game smoother, sometimes it works better than other times.

I can reread the thread but I feel like most of it is people saying what I'm experiencing is normal and telling me to try things that didn't work so did I miss something?

Jbinn

Post by Jbinn » 16 May 2016, 17:23

I guess I just give up :-/ I'll be selling my PC soon I can't take this judder anymore. Thank you for the help.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 16 May 2016, 17:55

Jbinn wrote:I guess I just give up :-/ I'll be selling my PC soon I can't take this judder anymore. Thank you for the help.
Seriously? We showed you exactly what the issue was(frametimes over 17ms, plus the lack of a VRR monitor), and you still think it's a hardware issue?

Replacing the hardware won't fix this. Are you forgetting you already tried that?

Jbinn

Post by Jbinn » 17 May 2016, 01:02

Sparky wrote:
Jbinn wrote:I guess I just give up :-/ I'll be selling my PC soon I can't take this judder anymore. Thank you for the help.
Seriously? We showed you exactly what the issue was(frametimes over 17ms, plus the lack of a VRR monitor), and you still think it's a hardware issue?

Replacing the hardware won't fix this. Are you forgetting you already tried that?
Yeah that may be the issue... but if over 17ms is the problem why when I go UNDER 16ms it also judders, all of my friends gaming PC's run fine, all of the youtube videos run fine. I can't take it, literally playing without VSYNC/VRR w.e is impossible and I don't have $300 for a monitor and I shouldn't need that to play games...

I know I tried new hardware but what gives? Why is my buddies PC so smooth and enjoyable then I have to force myself to use my PC it's so bag, my 360 is even more pleasing... I don't get why mine is so bad.. I used to stream playing CS and other games now when I stream they stutter because my FPS fluctuate from 250-300fps, yet I run VSYNC stutters gone. I just can't take it anymore, I seriously don't understand how more people aren't complain on google about this because I literally cannot stand it. How do people game on a PC without VRR monitors?

Also if everyone thinks they know my solution then why can't anyone explain why youtube videos of the same games/fps uncapped run much smoother than mine? Why do videos of bf4 and world of warships with no vsync have no skip/stutter but all of mine do?

Why does my friends PC play games fine and smoothly? does the 16ms rule not apply to them? this makes no sense. I could see it if all youtube videos were a stuttery mess but they aren't, only mine are.

Like I want to stream and play games and just enjoy my games and I can't even stream, looks like complete crap the stutter comes through it as well...

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 17 May 2016, 08:05

why when I go UNDER 16ms it also judders
You have judder(caused by lack of VRR) AND you have performance issues in world of warships. Here's a few frames of data from the NOSYNC scenario:

See that high low pattern? It tells me you're GPU limited with CPU load spikes. So you have a 23ms frame showing 14ms worth of movement, a 9ms frame showing 23ms worth of movement, and a 14ms frame showing 9ms worth of movement(these then get rendered out by the gpu). An in game framerate cap will take up the slack so you have lower render latency and don't get the 9ms frame. As for the spike, I can't troubleshoot that for you, it can be caused by the game engine, running out of memory, malware, antivirus, etc. Start by turning down every possible setting to it's minimum, and re-running the benchmark. If the spikes go away, progressively re-enable and re-benchmark until you figure out which setting is causing the problems.

Jbinn

Post by Jbinn » 17 May 2016, 09:21

So what about the other games? World of Warships is the least of my concern I'll take a few graphs on minimum settings.]

So it seems like the games it happens really bad in, there isn't enough data to form a graph... It only works in a few games. World of Warships is what we'll go off of for now I guess. I'll lower all the settings and play it again.

Ok I got a benchmark of rust probably my worst running game, ran its on lowest settings using about 50% of my GPU/CPU maybe less no cap no vsync.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=479 ... 8924744955

I'm also uploading a video on youtube of a 60fps video of World of Warships I took from my camera to eliminate possibilities of it being my monitor. It also shows OSD and the fact that I'm only using like 50% or less of my PC.