05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Adept4k

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by Adept4k » 27 Jun 2020, 12:57

I can’t fathom how an IPS is better than all the TN’s out there? Is it really that good, that it beats out literally any TN monitor? I just paid 700 USD for the new Zowie, and it seems the acer is more responsive?

Now im questioning IF i should return the xl2746s, and buy the acer :d It’s almost half the price!

I cant find any reviews on the xl2746s, only a chinese one that says its between 3-4ms input lag.

That seems a lot higher than the Acer

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 05/22/2020 UPDATE. The IPS 240hz monitor tier list.(I've measured/tried the all) and my honest explanation why.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jun 2020, 13:52

It depends on what you're looking for.

The quality venn diagram overlaps.

IPS is not better than TN, nor is TN better than IPS in all parameters.

I've seen situations where quality leapfrogs:
- IPS with faster pixel response than some slower/older TN
- IPS with better color than some lesser TNs
- IPS with less input lag than some laggier TNs.
- etc.

The classic reason why IPS is better than TN is because of viewing angles and better colors, while the world's fastest TN is better for esports, due to lowest input lag and fastest pixel responses available, etc.

Today, IPS is now fast enough to enter competitive gaming. There is huge amount of debate about whether it is or not, but things are changing -- the upcoming 360 Hz gaming monitors are arriving in both TN and IPS formats. The pixel response speed differential is vanishing the higher the refresh rates goes. It is my expectation that both TN and IPS are legitimate contenders in esports for many reasons. Some forum members are now actually performing better on IPS panels, while others still perform better on TN and have to keep using TN because the stadiums/etc are using sponsored TN displays (i.e. play on the same equipment you plan to earn money on winning championships). There are huge differences in user preferences between different monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jun 2020, 14:12

RLCScontender wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 22:06
part 1.5 INPUT LAG Acer Predator xb273x review cont..., the #1 overall LOWEST input lag out of any monitor that isn't a CRT display

. Sorry for the delay gentlemen but chief brought up a very important point. I really had to figure out how my friend james got those numbers of .03ms input lag because i too was skeptical. I belileve response times and input lag is the #1 most important variable when it comes to buying these expensive monitors and because this topic gets a lot of traffic, the UTMOST ACCURACY of these tests HAS to be backed up by evidence and explanations.
There are many legitimate ways to measure input lag, but I disagree about quoting only one lag number. Your pre-GtG lag number is what I consider a "synthetic lag benchmark" that can decouple from actual human reaction relevance, especially with multiple interactions with different sync technologies. However, what you're doing is not too different from many sites so I have to be fair in dismissing synthetic lag numbers that somewhat decouples from actual human-detectable photons hitting human eye balls.

So I'll add a disclaimer tag: Blur Busters does not sanction these lag numbers as being really relevant.
RLCScontender wrote:
Perceived input lag (display lag) 1.27ms(half of my pixel g2g response time measurements) also known as response time element
Mathematically half a GtG100% or even half a GtG(10%->90%) is a reasonable approximation, as long as this is honestly disclosed. However, if one wants to be even more accurate, measure the actual point where the GtG50% occurs -- usually it's earlier of the exact half of a GtG(0%-to-100%) or a GtG(10%-to-90%) as VESA standard.

Now, mind you, GtG(0%-to-100%) is hard to measure because of noisefloors of oscilloscopes, and I've seen different oscilloscopes change GtG(0%-100%) numbers by an order of magnitude, with Brand X oscilloscope having more "noise" and less precision than Brand Y oscilloscope, making it hard to figure out where GtG0% is and where GtG100% is, because of noise in the oscilloscope graph.

However, halving a full VESA GtG measurement is often mathematically simpler.
RLCScontender wrote:
0.01ms ACTUAL INPUT LAG (how snappy you feel when pressing a button relative to the game u are playing)(the moment you press a button, it should be instantaneous. 0.01ms signal processing lag.
That's a phrase fail, I'd delete "ACTUAL INPUT LAG" as that is an opinion inserted as a fact, because of the complexity of displays -- not all pixels refresh at the same time (aka scanout lag -- see high speed videos of www.blurbusters.com/scanout ...) since single-number lag numbers are often usually synthetic.
RLCScontender wrote:
why 1.27? Because for me, it doesn't take the whole pixel transition to perceive the g2g color changes(although i only speak for myself, i have 20/20 vision) of the 2.54 pixel response time that i measured on this monitor. . 1.27ms (or half of the g2g respones times) is a safe bet.
That's why I recommend some lag testers use GtG10% (the beginning of the VESA GtG stopwatch), as the input lag measurement. Because GtG 10% begins to become reasonably human visible, that's basically a dark grey in a "full-black to full-white", or a ultralight grey in a "full-white to full-black" transition.

However, this is simply a Blur Busters cutoff opinion. That said, I consider all single-number lag measurements using near GtG0% to be simply synthetic lag numbers like CrystalDiskMark is for disks. They're useful, but they're not real-world lag numbers. That said, we're just nitpicking over milliseconds for the large part.

However, 0.0x milliseconds means other things are bigger error margins that can make a monitor A-worse-than-B and B-worse-than-A based on other latency-affecting variables outside the chain of lag that you measured!
RLCScontender wrote:
Then again, i DO NOT CONSIDER THIS INPUT LAG, I CONSIDER the non-existent processing delay input lag because that is when you press the button and the thiing u are controlling on the monitor will instantly move.
You used the phrase input lag a few times in contexts that are somewhat questionable, then -- please make sure you're terminologically correct in scientific contexts. Math is a universal language, and this also applies to lag mathematics.
RLCScontender wrote:
Hopefully i got that cleared up for everyone.
Better, but not quite.
RLCScontender wrote:
1.28ms input lag of total display lag+processing lag
or
.01ms input lag(the amount of time AFter pressing a button, the soldier/character/car/batman/hipster/dog/mario/sonic/etc you are controlling will move(how snappy u feel)
Unless you misphrased accidentally or used the wrong phrase accidentally, that's mathematically impossible because "button to photons" latency is much bigger than "display lag + processing lag"

This is because "button to photons" (bigger number) is a superset that includes "display lag + processing lag" (smaller number). You can't do the latency equivalent of "2 + 2 = 1". Adding two positive numbers never creates a smaller number than the original number!

I have to uphold Blur Busters to the proper academic standards of latency disclosure, so please re-evaluate your latency measurements.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Makie

Post by Makie » 27 Jun 2020, 14:52

Hey RLSCContender, from your observations and testing did you find the xb273x having lower input lag than the xb253qgx?

I remember seeing somewhere in this thread

Input Lag at Native Resolution & Optimal Refresh Rate (RLCScontender's table)
Acer Nitro XV273X - 1.6ms
Acer Predator XB253Q GX - 1.8ms
Acer Predator XB273 X - 2ms
ASUS VG279QM/VG259QM - 2.4ms

kofman13

Post by kofman13 » 27 Jun 2020, 16:14

guys just got XB273 X and kind of worried about backlight bleed

i dont notice in games or videos just when i look at black screen but has me worried. but its such a hassle to return and also wait for new one, and what if new one isnt better? what if has dead pixel? then ill have to return again and wish i kept the first one. does RLCSContender napkin trick work?

Makie

Post by Makie » 27 Jun 2020, 16:37

The xb273x I received and return had a perfect panel no back light bleed ips glow or dead pixel. I only returned it because 27 1080p was hard to adjust to and wasn’t suitable for competitive gaming for me. When it comes to monitors it’s a gamble to get lucky and receive one with minor to no flaws. If it doesn’t bother you keep it. If it does the next used xb273x that comes up on amazon is the one with the perfect panel.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 27 Jun 2020, 17:22

**BREAKING NEWS**

i will have to return the acer predator xb273x, it developed a dead pixel less than two weeks of owning it. I was right all along from the beginning about acer's quality control and i thought the xb3 models were the exception

phpBB [video]

i will still post ULMB results, cannonball tests and crosstalk aggression bar graph of the 240hz ips monitors i've "owned".

When i said "owned", what i meant i was, I was too cheap to keep them all so i selected the best ones based off my criteria(low input lag, low g2g response times).

btw guys I'm not a video game tester nor a professional reviewer, i'm a consumer. just like anybody else. I really did intend to keep the monitor if the response times and input lag and colors were good enough for me (i did keep some). I wouldn't even want to be called a "monitor reviewer" anyway since corruption and financial incentive(affiliate marketing) is problematic in such industries. I "think for myself". i'm not easily manipulated unless there's evidence backing it up hence why i'm here in the first place.

dead pixel is a major dealbreaker to me and i cannot live at the fact that the new item i purchased currently comes with one. If I spend over $500 on somethiing, rest assure i EXPECT quality and no defects. Whether or not i'm "poor" or "wealthy". $500 is still $500 and if i spend something that is worth $500, rest assure i expect a quality product.

PS, i won't get a replacement. If this NEW item developed a dead pixel less than 2 weeks of owning, there's no reason for me to get a replacement. btw, it didn't come with a dead pixel, it just eventually developed one and i am VERY careful(not negligent) when owning expensive hardware. I get that each panel is different from another and this is just anecdotal evidence, but the company that makes these predator panels are notorious for bad QC anyway.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 27 Jun 2020, 19:50

RIP acer predator xb273x. =( but i didn't have a choice.

Now my rank will dip because i no longer have a 3-4ms input lag advantage over the fastest TN and the the 280hz asus army in Grand champ ranked matches. I genuinely liked the predator, it's a beautiful panel but i'm not having it knowing it has a dead pixel.

Those ms differences maybe miniscule to the casual player/mediocre player but if you are in the top 10-15% of a video game, those SMALL advantages are HUGE because among top competition, we are able to maximize those advantages since our skillsets allow us to maximize those differences.

back to the MSI MAG251rx in which i only have a -1ms input lag advantage but a +1ms g2g disadvantage over TN and a -40hz disadvantage from the 280hz Asus army. IFirst person shooters, it's probably not a big deal but in a dexterity heavy game like rocket league, it's harder to win 50/50 situations especially if someone has 40 more frames to work with than you.

thaleskbulozo

Post by thaleskbulozo » 28 Jun 2020, 02:08

Indeed, Acer has many complaints from its consumers.
One of my options was this xb273x, as i live in brazil, i would import from amazon, seeing this problem i will have to rethink a new choice.

I'm looking for a 240 hz, with native g sync. to play between 130 to 240 fps, I'm not a professional in Es. But I would like to have games with good movement and smoothness without ghosts

Realmente, a Acer tem muitas reclamaçoes dos seus consumidores.
Era uma das minhas opçoes esse xb273x, como moro no brasil, eu iria importar da amazon, vendo este problema terei que repensar em uma nova escolha.

estou a procura de um 240 hz, com g sync nativo. para jogar entra 130 a 240 fps, nao sou profissional em Es. Mas gostaria de ter jogos com boa movimentação e suavidade sem fantasmas

Dante_Solo

Post by Dante_Solo » 28 Jun 2020, 11:33

If i will play TEKKEN 7 (locked on 60fps) on my VG279QM on PC with 240-280hz + Optimal OverDrive, i will get input lag 1.7ms - "240-280hz" or 35.1ms "60hz"?