G-SYNC Upgrade Board Giveaway - FIVE boards! [complete]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
TheExodu5

Re: G-SYNC Upgrade Board Giveaway - FIVE boards!

Post by TheExodu5 » 18 Dec 2013, 14:47

Hi there! I'm Jason, also known as TheExodu5. I'm a bit of a PC gaming enthusiast, among other self proclaimed hobbyist titles. I have built several PCs for myself, as well as a dozen or so friends. It's a service I like to offer to encourage friends to jump into PC gaming. Other DIY projects I've done include a recyclable sorting device for my CEG capstone project and a few pocket headphone amps among other pet projects.

I'll go ahead and mention the page that brought me to Blur Busters in the first place:
http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

Lightboost was a complete revelation, and brought me back to the CRT glory days.

Finally, what do I plan to do with G-Sync? I plan on using it and I would like to detail exactly what it fixes and what possible issues may be. I have actually had interest in seeing G-Sync implemented for a while now...I actually made a thread a year ago on NeoGAF talking about the benefits of variable refresh rate displays, and no one seemed to take notice:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=86581189

So, I have a few things I really want to test out. First off, I want to test a game where I can't maintain 60fps to experience the full benefit of G-Sync. Second, I want to test a game that runs at 60fps, but is known to have judder issues (e.g. The Witcher 2, Darksiders 2)...I have a strong hope that G-Sync will fix these games. Third, I want to test a game that runs fine at 60fps, but has noticeable input lag with vsync on (e.g. Street Fighter IV), as I think G-Sync will be monumental in making these games finally playable. Lastly, I'd like to see if this can be any help with emulation, especially SNES emulation, as no emulator out there can currently maintain perfect audio/video synchronization.

I should add that I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to judder and input lag. I always thought I was crazy when I was bringing up these issues in different threads and no one else would notice them. It feels like my craziness has finally been validated by the introduction of G-Sync.

Karnaj

Post by Karnaj » 18 Dec 2013, 15:29

Hello, my name's Danny and I'm currently typing from my first custom-made rig that I built a little over a year ago. It seemed like a pretty daunting task building a PC from the ground up, but I did my research (which I always advocate, whether it's for hardware, software, gaming, or life-related issues) diligently and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The parts that I chose are the following:

ASUS VG248QE
Cooler Master Storm Scout Mid ATX Tower
Antec HCG-750 watt PSU
ASUS P8Z77-V mobo
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Intel i5-3570k OC'd @ 4.5 GHz
CM Hyper 212+ CPU cooler
EVGA Superclocked GTX 660
Razer Deathadder 2013
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Red Switches Keyboard

Everything is working perfectly right now, but I suffered from BSODs over the past few months or so. They were solved by making a few changes to my BIOS settings. I consider myself to be patient when it comes to troubleshooting sudden problems since answers are readily available on the Web (another reason why researching, and knowledge itself, is so important). Life is so much easier since there are technical forums/sites like these where users share so much of their knowledge with one another. Although I'm not knowledgeable in the intricacies and inner workings of PC hardware, I am able to competently follow instructions on combining components. Installing a G-SYNC Upgrade Board to my VG248QE would probably be a smooth experience for me provided that there are instructions available by NVIDIA, BlurBusters, or elsewhere.

Among all of the informative pages on LightBoost, my favorite Blur Busters page is most likely the LightBoost HOWTO. It is probably the most valuable page since it includes the steps undergone in order to enable LightBoost on a compatible display. For visitors who come upon this page and only this page, it lists the supported monitors, motion comparisons, hardware site reviews, LightBoost explanation, tips, etc. It is a very effective all-in-one page, informing visitors of everything they need to know about LightBoost.

Although I am not a competitive player, I was scouted by two of the top NA teams in the FPS game that I play - Natural Selection 2. It is a visually breathtaking, yet still a very resource-intensive, game. FPS is usually around 200 in early-game and it can fluctuate down to the 60s by late-game. This is unfortunate with LightBoost on since it is recommended that FPS matches or (even better) exceeds my refresh rate (120 Hz). I don't think it is an issue with my GPU since the game is CPU-limited. G-SYNC seems to be the perfect solution to the FPS fluctuations in this game, as well as the screen-tearing associated with V-Sync Off and Adaptive V-Sync. This quote from the Preview of NVIDIA G-SYNC page convinced me of this:
You do get the “low frame-rate feel” if the frame rates go low (e.g. 30fps), however, now the monitor refresh is always synchronized to the refresh rate, eliminating stutters.
Playing at 47 frames per second? The monitor is now at 47Hz.
Playing at 131 frames per second? The monitor is now at 131Hz.
With G-SYNC enabled, I would experience this tearing-free, stutter-free variable refresh rate first-hand in Natural Selection 2 and other FPS games like Team Fortress 2. If it proves to be as good as it seems, then it would certainly be the next must-have technology for gamers. If my experience goes well, then I would inform the NVIDIA GPU owners at the NS2 community to make the switch ASAP. Like Solar mentioned in this thread already, I plan on getting the G-SYNC Upgrade Board regardless of whether I win a free reference. No screen-tearing, no stuttering, smooth and variable refresh rates, and no input lag... Excuse me while I drool for a moment. :lol: I just hope that these boards will be available for purchase to us lucky VG248QE owners soon.

PS: I noticed that G-SYNC is only compatible with the GPUs listed on this page. I hope that everyone is aware of this in case they own an older generation GPU. :)
ASUS VG248QE | ASUS P8Z77-V | Intel i5-3570k @ 4.5 GHz | EVGA GTX 780 Classified ACX | Razer Deathadder 2013 | CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Red Switches | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced | Antec HCG-750

SS4

Post by SS4 » 18 Dec 2013, 15:49

Ok we got our 5 winners, stop the contest now :P

Noooo, more ppl keep posting lol

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Dec 2013, 20:14

TheExodu5 wrote:Hi there! I'm Jason [snip]
Very nostradamus, very nostradamus. On par with my Arduino Scanning Backlight, in the pre-LightBoost2D-era. I correctly foresaw the era of strobe backlights, and look at where we are today (LightBoost, EIZO Turbo240, BENQ Blur Reduction).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Dec 2013, 20:15

Karnaj wrote:I noticed that G-SYNC is only compatible...
Good catch. I've edited the giveaway details to mention this.

Everyone else, keep it coming!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jeri

Post by jeri » 19 Dec 2013, 06:28

hi, my name is dimitri and im from europe/germany. im 30 years old student and a gamer with passion. always trying to get the best possible and awesome gaming experience. my rig is i5-3570k (ocd to 4.4gz) gtx 670 windforce oc boost 1250, 8gb ram and a fresh investment in form of brandnew asus ASUS VG248QE with lb! since the old days of crt and my passion for q3arena and couldnt realy enjoy any proper shooter games after switching to tft. with the asus vg248qe and lightboost it came pretty close, but still tearing is issue...so im planning to get the g-sync in the future.

my favorite article was the the guide and the explanation of lightboost and how it almost eliminate any blur. i first noticed bb from overlockers forums. right now im realy excited about g-sync and have very high hopes for it and completly tearing free gaming after sooo many years... r.i.p crt :(

drkripper

Post by drkripper » 19 Dec 2013, 10:09

Hey, I'm drkripper...new to the forums but I've been reading Blur Busters for a while now. I'm fairly experienced do it yourselfer, I have built many computers for myself and my family, built a SOHA II hybrid tube headphone amp (link), and I'm currently preparing to remove the antiglare film on my VG248QE.

My favorite page is http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/, helped me out a lot on my decision to purchase the VG248QE as well as setting up lightboost when I got it.

I'll play games! I would like to do some comparisons between Lightboost and 120fps with lower quality settings, versus G-Sync with higher quality settings that my graphics card can't always maintain 120fps with. I'm anticipating being able to play BF4 with much higher quality settings, without a loss in motion quality.

Requirements:
-- Must be qualified DIYer - Please see above for some of the electronics projects I've worked on.
-- Kit cannot be resold - I agree not to resell it.
-- Must already have an ASUS VG248QE monitor - It's sitting on my desk.
-- You'll need to have (or immediately get) one of the supported GeForce cards (650 Ti or later) - Have a GTX670
-- Recipient must perform modification - I will be doing the modification myself.
-- Recipient must provide feedback on G-SYNC gaming experience - Tell me where/who to provide feedback, and I will be happy to.
-- Only available in United States and Canada. (their condition, presumably a legal technicality) - I'm in the US.

KJ43

Post by KJ43 » 19 Dec 2013, 18:47

Hello there, my name is Kai. I'm a PC gamer and PC enthusiast. I enjoy building my own systems, trying to stay on top of tech that is relevant to my interests and of course gaming. I also enjoy film and home theater and weight lifting and fitness. I am married and while we don't have any children we do have two dogs.

My favorite page on Blur Busters at this time is the Preview of NVIDIA G-SYNC at Blur Busters (

Code: Select all

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview/
). I am looking forward to this technology becoming available to us PC gamers and I bought an ASUS VG24QE specifically to prepare for the upgrade module.

Haha...of course I plan on doing plenty of gaming when I have my monitor upgraded with the G-SYNC module. I am currently using lightboost and I do like it as a step in the right direction, I very much look forward to G-SYNC as a solution to keep me blur free for the next few years.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Dec 2013, 19:10

jeri, drkipper, and KJ43 -- Thanks for your submissions!

TwistedEndz

Post by TwistedEndz » 19 Dec 2013, 20:29

Name is TwistedEndz also new to the forums but have been reading Blur Busters for quite some time, so much information here it's unreal. I've been building pc's for 15 years , I'm a computer Technician in the winter and Road Construction Supervisor in the summer.
I live in New-Brunswick Canada , ( yes lots of snow here and it's cold !! )

Favorite page is really hard to choose there are so many good ones , but I'll have to go with http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost this website is what made me buy my VG248QE

my system specs are:

Corsair Obsidian 900D ± Maximus Formula VI ± Intel Core i7 4770K ± TridentX 2400 32GB
Corsair H100i ± EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked SLI ± Samsung 840 Pro 256GB RAID-0
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB ± Seagate SSHD 2TB ± Sennheiser PC350 Special Edition
ASUS Rog Xonar Phoebus± Logitech Z906 THX ± Corsair Professional Series 1050W
ASUS PA248Q IPS ± ASUS VG248QE

I'm a pretty hardcore gamer FPS and Sandbox MMO I cant wait to get my hands on this G-SYNC and post reviews on it.

Requirements
I can/would Fufill all