G-SYNC Upgrade Board Giveaway - FIVE boards! [complete]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

G-SYNC Upgrade Board Giveaway - FIVE boards! [complete]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Dec 2013, 13:09

You saw our G-SYNC preview? During the same time, NVIDIA also offered something else for our readers -- Five G-SYNC upgrade boards to give away to our readers... Also, we are currently creating a G-SYNC Upgrade HOWTO, for when G-SYNC upgrades generally become available. We're not sure when they will be on sale, but until then, we've got a few boards to give away:

G-SYNC Upgrade Board giveaway -- FIVE boards are available!

...NVIDIA has unexpectedly given Blur Busters 5 G-SYNC Upgrade Boards to give away for the holiday season.
They have asked for five volunteers from me, to play with G-SYNC, and tell their impressions!
...If you haven't seen our preview part #1, check out Our G-SYNC Preview!

How to Win?
  1. Register for Blur Busters Forums. The registration link is at the upper-right corner!
    If you don't get the registration confirmation email, make sure you check your Junk/Spam folder.
    If you still don't get the email, send an email to squad[at]blurbusters.com to get your account activated.
  2. Introduce yourself in this thread!
    ...(A) Write a paragraph introducing yourself and your DIY skills/hobbies! (motherboard upgrade, electronics repair, R/C planes, etc).
    ...(B) Mention URL of your favourite Blur Busters page from http://blurbusters.com (Article) or http://testufo.com (Motion Test)
    ...(C) Write a second paragraph, describing what you plan to do with G-SYNC!
Rules (From NVIDIA)

They require these rules:
-- Must be qualified DIYer.
-- Kit cannot be resold.
-- Must already have an ASUS VG248QE monitor (no other monitors supported).
-- You'll need to have (or immediately get) one of the supported GeForce cards (650 Ti or later).
-- Recipient must perform modification.
-- Recipient must provide feedback on G-SYNC gaming experience.
-- Only available in United States and Canada. (their condition, presumably a legal technicality)

P.S. Winners will be announced via PM, and that means logging into forums to read your PM's. So keep participating in these forums!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-SYNC Upgrade Board Giveaway!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Dec 2013, 14:52

Submissions need to be complete by New Year -- December 31st (midnight PT)

Winners will be determined by January 7th -- I'm expecting we expect to have a tough time deciding!
Boards will be sent out during the month of January!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Guy

Post by Guy » 17 Dec 2013, 22:15

Hi i'm Clayton AKA Guy, I built my first computer ever in January of this year and I can say that I have learned so much since then. I've done many DIY mods to my rig, I delidded my 3770k, sleeved my PSU cables, soldered wiring for LEDs, etc. Around May or June I purchased an ASUS VG248QE monitor, since it had the ability to do 3D gaming I decided to do a little research on the 3D vision kit when I stumbled on your website. Ever since then I have been following your site for the latest ways to enable the Strobelight hack and keep my gaming as smooth and blur free as possible. Iv'e kinda developed an OCD for keeping my frame-rates high so I always keep my rig updated with the latest and greatest to keep my games at 120fps so I can enjoy the minimal blur goodness that Strobelight provides. Now that G-Sync is out I would like to get that installed as soon as possible and see how well the new light boost iteration will be, I've never won anything in my life and winning that would be a good start. I don't think that I would have become so passionate about PC gaming and building in general if I had not came across your website.

My favorite and most used part of this website would have to be http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

If I do win the G-Sync upgrade board, I plan to enjoy playing my games to the fullest without the distracting tearing and stutter. I also plan on seeing how well they improved Lightboost in the new iteration, I really hope they allow 144hz to be strobed this time.
Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 Ti SLI @1203MHz | Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16GB DDR3 @1866MHz | Intel Core i7 3770k @4.5Ghz | Corsair H110 | Seasonic M12II 850W | NZXT Gamma Classic | 1TB Seagate HDD | Asus VG248QE

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Dec 2013, 22:39

Guy wrote:Hi i'm Clayton AKA Guy...
Good submission; this qualifies! For other readers, Guy's post is a reasonable size to aim for. Feel free to write larger or smaller; but ideally keep it less than one screenful (default font size at 1080p) for the text part, and the photo is optional.

yakapo7

Re: G-SYNC Upgrade Board Giveaway - FIVE boards!

Post by yakapo7 » 18 Dec 2013, 00:03

INTRO
Hey there, I’m Joe. I’m not sure when I first got started with computers but I remember the first computer I owned was a commodore 64. Anyone remember Racing Destruction Set? The first pc I built myself was a Pentium 4 (Wing Commander era). My current pc is a water-cooled Sandy i5 w/ a gtx670. I’ve worked in IT, although I’m not certified. I’m currently in-between jobs, but at my last job I worked on all sorts of hardware and software. My most recent hardware experience that I imagine might relate to this install, would be: dismantling, servicing, and reassembling a fairly small laptop (at my last employer). I’ve also had to rebuild a fanatec force feeback wheel. A few years back, I used to work on my car and my wife’s car. I’ve mostly done basic stuff like changing a valve cover gasket or a maf sensor. Some of my other hobbies include biking, photography, and reading fiction novels. Call me a geek but I’ll probably have as much fun installing this board as I will using it.

LINK
http://www.blurbusters.com/we-test-nvidia-g-sync/

HOW I PLAN TO USE GSYNC
I’m sometimes prone to motion sickness when playing fps games on pc. Even when watching television, if the view is wide and it pans quickly it makes me a little dizzy. (my tv does not have frame interpolation) It is my theory that that my (mild) motion sickness is the result of tearing and stutters. I’m fairly confident that the gsync technology will eliminate this issue. My most anticipated upcoming titles are Tom Clancy’s The Division, Project Cars, and Star Citizen.

SS4

Post by SS4 » 18 Dec 2013, 09:01

Hi, the name is Dany and i'm a french Canadian (from Québec). When i was in highschool i figure out that in life cars and computers are both essential so i should learn how to fix them myself to avoid being swindled by shady ppl. Even as a kid i was always taking everything apart to see its inside, but its not until i was older that i was able to piece things back together lol. Now i have studied some programming in college and worked as a PC tech in a store for a while. I have built my first PC around year 2000 and now i love to watercool and overclock PCs. I have also fixed a lot of PC and laptop at the store i worked. I also sometimes buy (or get for free) defective monitor online and change the CCFL or replace faulty capacitors and sell them back for a small profit or give them to friends. I'm currently working as a truck driver doing long haul so i sadly i can't play video game as much as i could before but still manage to find some time between trips to enjoy some of my past time like gaming and watching anime (also taking care of my 1 year old daughter of course :P). I really like being able to accomplish things on my own and will dig around on the internet as i'm constantly trying to improve my skill and knowledge about as much as i can. I could go on but that pretty much sums up the big picture.

As for my favorite page:
http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... &pursuit=0
It really shows the clarity difference between different refresh rates and how lightboost currently trumps them all.

Now if i win the g sync board i will of course enjoy it in gaming, mostly World of Tanks and PlanetSide 2 lately, and will of course brag how awesome it is to my gaming buddies making them jealous of my rig upgrade. Of course once i see the result first hand i can start vouching for this awesome technology to ppl i know which will make them want it too maybe :P Not trying to suck up to you guys, but you know how having the best rig is sort of like a competition between friends sometimes lol. Also, I am glad i decided to get a VG248QE thx to multiple internet sources, including Blurbusters of course, as i couldnt let go of CRT before. Now with 144hz and more, lightboost and G sync, LCD actually are an upgrade instead of a downgrade like before. And thats about it, enjoy your holidays everyone and hopefully Santa will all bring us a gsync after xmas :P
Last edited by SS4 on 18 Dec 2013, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Dec 2013, 09:34

Good submissions; keep them coming!

Solar

Re: G-SYNC Upgrade Board Giveaway

Post by Solar » 18 Dec 2013, 12:33

Hello, my name is Seth. I'm 22 years old and I built my first PC for gaming when I was 15. Afterwards I sold my xbox 360 and never looked back. I've always enjoyed tinkering with electronics and mechanics, and owning/building a gaming rig gave me lots of opportunities to do just that! I've done numerous mods to my builds over the years like lapping my Phenom II 955BE, a custom cooler on a GTX 470 (also had to fix a severed trace which was a nightmare), delidding my 3570k and replacing the TIM underneath with some Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra (lowered temps by over 15°C), custom fan mounts in my old Cooler Master CM690, and removing the AG coating on my Asus VG248QE (huge differnce!). Other DIY things I've done include repair phones/tablets and laptops, build a small CNC laser, replace lots of parts on my car (97' Lincoln Mark VIII), and fix industrial woodworking machines (my job).

All of the articles and tests you guys have are awesome, I've learned so much from them since owning my VG248QE and I'm very grateful for your hard work and dedication. If I had to choose one it would be the Lightboost HowTo http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/ since that is what got me started and hooked on Lightboost and I've been following your site ever since.

For sure I'm getting a g-sync module whether I win one or not, and I'm gonna crank up the settings in all of my games and smile because there will be no more stutter or tearing :D I can't wait to try it out! I am also excited for official Lightboost and will definitely be giving that a go in FPS games. My system consists of a 4.6Ghz 3570k and two GTX 670's at 1250Mhz core clock, but it is struggling to maintain that constant 120fps at max settings. G-sync sounds like a dream come true since it can dip a bit and still look and feel great. Thanks for reading!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Dec 2013, 13:19

Thanks for the impressive submission! On the subject, I'd love to see a new thread about your exploits (either technology or the non-technology, or both).

mkenyon

Post by mkenyon » 18 Dec 2013, 13:50

Hi! I'm mkenyon, and I'm a PC addict. Most of my PC gaming history has been in esports type titles. Always being focused on competition and performance of course led me to tinkering and building. My most recent project was a fully copper pipe plumbed watercooled system. My main community involvement is on NeoGAF (mkenyon), Overclock.net (michalius), and Reddit (labzfz). I run a thread on GAF with a pal Hazaro that helps people build their own PC's as well, which takes a surprising amount of time.

My favorite Blur Buster article is the explanation as to why OLEDs have blur. Great article to explain the importance of strobing. http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur/

My plans for G-Sync would be to have it side by side with my BenQ XL2420T and compare how they work. I've already switched to the VG248QE as my primary panel, but am excited to see if there's an improvement over ToastyX's lightboost mode.