Forgive help in choosing a monitor 27'(for competitive games)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Nocta

Re: Forgive help in choosing a monitor 27'(for competitive games)

Post by Nocta » 06 Jun 2022, 03:46

Dorian wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 03:37
Hello! If the question was meant for me, then no, I'm sorry, I can't do that. Racing and flight simulators are not my type of games, I just don't have them.
No I meant for me. :D
I just don't really understand how to do the tests if you don't have a game with a crosshair in the middle of the screen...

Dorian

Post by Dorian » 06 Jun 2022, 05:23

Nocta wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 03:46
Dorian wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 03:37
Hello! If the question was meant for me, then no, I'm sorry, I can't do that. Racing and flight simulators are not my type of games, I just don't have them.
No I meant for me. :D
I just don't really understand how to do the tests if you don't have a game with a crosshair in the middle of the screen...

I am far from being an expert in this area) But it seems to me that the sight almost does not play a role here at all ... In the picture on the left, you can see the double image, in the picture on the right, the blur is noticeable. When I tested this, I tried to rotate the camera in the apex on the fire range, in my case it looked more like a picture on the right, you should not focus too much on the sight itself, IMHO.

Nocta

Post by Nocta » 06 Jun 2022, 08:04

I see, thank you Dorian, I will try this. :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jun 2022, 18:38

Dorian wrote:
27 May 2022, 10:59
Frankly, I do not quite understand the fundamental difference between these two types of blur
You don't need a game to study about the two different types of "blurs" (stroboscopic effect versus persistence blur).

Here's a TestUFO that amplifies the difference between the two (if you disable strobing):

www.testufo.com/eyetracking

1. Look at first UFO. Look at how you see vertical lines.
2. Look at second UFO. Look at how the lines disappear. (motion blur)

A display behaves differently with stationary eyes (UFO #1) and moving eyes (UFO #2). That's just the laws of physics of a finite frame rate on a finite refresh rate display.

No display can make #1 and #2 have identical blur, because the test is intentionally designed to amplify the difference between #1 and #2.

If you want to study the science/physics, read the advanced articles at www.blurbusters.com/area51 especially The Stroboscopic Effect of Finite Frame Rates.

One solution to see the lines again in UFO #2 is to enable strobe modes (e.g. DyAc, ULMB, ELMB, VRB, etc). But make sure framerate stays very high (or even do framerate=Hz) to avoid the stroboscopic effect (double-image effects) as much as possible.

You don't want to run at framerates far lower than refresh rates when you enable strobing, because of the duplicate-image effect that occurs during eye-tracking too. (i.e. the same stroboscopic effect during fixed-gaze can also occur during eye-tracking, if your framerate is too low)

So, to get deliciously low motion blur during mouseturns;
1. Enable strobing; and
2. Make sure framerates stay high (either uncapped far beyond Hz, or adjust Hz & caps/sync mode to get framerate=Hz)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jun 2022, 18:46

Dorian wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 05:23
I am far from being an expert in this area) But it seems to me that the sight almost does not play a role here at all ... In the picture on the left, you can see the double image, in the picture on the right, the blur is noticeable. When I tested this, I tried to rotate the camera in the apex on the fire range, in my case it looked more like a picture on the right, you should not focus too much on the sight itself, IMHO.
Many champions in esports often focus on the sight to react faster to enemies in peripheral vision.

That's why many esports players like 24" screens instead of 27" screens, so that they can see the whole game while staring at just the crosshairs. They can just flick turn (aimtrainer style) to frag that enemy based on how far their peripheral vision told it was away from the crosshairs.

However, this can produce the stroboscopic effect that bothers some people. However, it's how many esports champions play, although not all of them.

Also, if you want to track eyes during turns, you should be considering a motion blur reduction mode! This fixes the motion blur of turns completely (especially at framerate=Hz). Like ULMB, DyAc, PureXP (Blur Busters Approved), etc.

See Properly Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dorian

Post by Dorian » 07 Jun 2022, 06:12

Chief Blur Buster, thanks for the info!
I already wrote above that in the end I bought an AOC 24g2zu - this monitor suits me personally, there is a very important point that a person used earlier, it seems to me that I used AOC c27g1, it comes with a VA panel, for me now the difference is palpable. I tested various modes in apex legends (overdrive, adaptive sync, mbr) and finally, based on my subjective vision of the best option for me, I settled on overdrive strong, everything else is disabled, in apex cap 237fps.

jani80k

Post by jani80k » 25 Jun 2022, 05:03

prod1G wrote:
25 May 2022, 10:21
i recently tried the Acer XV272UX 27" 1440p 270hz. it seems to be a steal at 450€ (in germany atleast).
imo it has really good overdrive performance: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/U-0Sz1vgeKg
sadly its not for me as 27" is too big and i really can feel the processing lag of 1440p compared to 1080p.
I am also trying to build a competitive esports setup in 1440p.
Is there a lag in general with 1440p compared to 1080p?

ysenojftw

Post by ysenojftw » 28 Jun 2022, 13:30

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 18:46
Dorian wrote:
Many champions in esports often focus on the sight to react faster to enemies in peripheral vision.

That's why many esports players like 24" screens instead of 27" screens, so that they can see the whole game while staring at just the crosshairs. They can just flick turn (aimtrainer style) to frag that enemy based on how far their peripheral vision told it was away from the crosshairs.

However, this can produce the stroboscopic effect that bothers some people. However, it's how many esports champions play, although not all of them.

Also, if you want to track eyes during turns, you should be considering a motion blur reduction mode! This fixes the motion blur of turns completely (especially at framerate=Hz). Like ULMB, DyAc, PureXP (Blur Busters Approved), etc.

So if I wanted competitive ulmb on 360hz Alienware I would set it to 240hz ulmb on, then let my frames cap at 500? I get 499 normally constant. What about low latency mode etc

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jun 2022, 14:48

ysenojftw wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 13:30
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 18:46
Dorian wrote:

So if I wanted competitive ulmb on 360hz Alienware I would set it to 240hz ulmb on, then let my frames cap at 500? I get 499 normally constant. What about low latency mode etc
Competitive strobing using VSYNC OFF is usually uncapped, but that approach kind of works. Near-480 will feel very smooth with ULMB.

A cap far beyond Hz is roughly equivalent to uncapped in motion fluidity, but is actually better for your GPU load, as it prevents your GPU load from spiking to 100% (which can add a slight latency).