Forgive help in choosing a monitor 27'(for competitive games)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Discorz
VIP Member

Re: Forgive help in choosing a monitor 27'(for competitive games)

Post by Discorz » 27 May 2022, 09:21

I meant for you to test:
1. freesync ON + 140 fps cap (few frames bellow Hz) - overdrive off vs strong
2. freesync OFF, uncapped fps + VSYNC (which automatically caps to 144 but adds lag) - MBR 15 or 20 vs off with OD strong. Perfect fixed Hz=fps is required to utilize MBR properly.

But according to your description you seem to mainly be stationary gaze type player. Just to confirm, which type of blur do you experience mostly, #1 or #2?

1. stationary eyes, 2. tracking eyes
Image Image
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Dorian

Post by Dorian » 27 May 2022, 10:59

Frankly, I do not quite understand the fundamental difference between these two types of blur. But taking into account the fact that blurring torments me during the period of dynamic mouse movement and I do not focus on the sight / weapon, but look behind it, that is, at the enemy / background, it looks more like number 2.

Now for the test cases:
1. The freesync+ strong option is better than without overdrive in terms of blurring - this is especially noticeable with a small movement of the mouse, with the hand, and not with the whole hand.
2.I did not notice the difference with vsync and without it. Strong overdrive with MBR disabled looks better.
In the second case, I did not quite understand about:"Perfect fixed Hz=fps is required to utilize MBR properly." - because of this, I decided to make a 142fps cap (less than two from the monitor frequency) overdrive strong and mbr 10, 15, 20 - still MBR didn’t give anything much in my opinion. Yes, and Freesync ... It seems that it only improves the overdrive strong.

Dorian

Post by Dorian » 01 Jun 2022, 03:04

Discorz, i’m waiting for your analytics on the subject of blur)
As a result, I decided on the monitor and purchased aoc 24g2zu, I see the difference between 144 and 240, if I compare it with my previous monitor (c27g1) in ufotest, the perceptible trail behind the UFO disappeared as such, the movement itself became smoother - suddenly, someone will choose and this information will be useful to him :) Of the minuses, there is a difference in colors between these two monitors, subjectively ips looks worse than va - perhaps a deeper setting is required ...

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 01 Jun 2022, 06:50

My point was to figure out how you use your eyes and go from there. Because some situations don't benefit much from just slightly higher refresh rates.

1. stationary eyes:
- won't benefit (much) from 240 Hz/fps
- won't benefit (much) from faster response times
- won't benefit from blur reduction
2. tracking eyes:
- will benefit from 240 Hz/fps
- will benefit from faster response times
- will benefit from blur reduction
3. mix of both:
- will benefit from all, in ratios of the two

Stationary eyes also benefit from higher refresh rate and faster response times it's just that the requirements are MUCH more strict compared to tracking eyes. For example 10 000 Hz+ (together with instant gtg) is needed to remove most of the stroboscopic effect (e.g. previous image 1, that is the effect when u move the mouse cursor around the screen and see multiple cursors) while for tracking eyes 1000 Hz might be enough.

---
Regarding "perfect Hz=fps is required for blur reduction" - unsyncronized refresh and frame rate will result in tearing, micro stuttering/jittering/skipping, double imaging... Even slightest mismatch can look bad. To see what I mean download Smooth Frog, enable blur reduction on your monitor, use pixels/frame mode with ∼2000 moving speed and test:
- vsync ON, with unlimitited fps - perfect motion, but with lag
- vsync OFF, with fps limit exactly matching Hz - almost perfect with occasional screen tearing due to imperfect frame cap
- vsync OFF, with fps limit 1 fps below Hz - screen tearing
- vsync OFF, with fps limit 1 fps above Hz - screen tearing
- vsync OFF, with fps half the refresh rate - double imaging
- vsync OFF, with fps much higher than refresh rate - screen tearing and jittering, skipping
Blur reduction off and freesync disabled will behave same.

And if game doesn't have perfectly flat frametimes like Smooth Frog (most games don't) than it would look even worse.
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Dorian

Post by Dorian » 01 Jun 2022, 23:50

Discorz wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 06:50
... enable blur reduction on your monitor, use pixels/frame mode with ∼2000 moving speed and test:

Good afternoon! Thank you for this information, it was very interesting to read it. But there is a question, above you write about the setting "use pixels/frame mode with ∼2000 moving speed" - I could not find such an option if you select mode pixels/frame there is a limitation of 72. Please explain
that moment.
Attachments
1.PNG
1.PNG (231.92 KiB) Viewed 1521 times

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 02 Jun 2022, 00:24

Sry, use any px/frame to achieve approx. 2000 px/second. Formula is X FPS * X px/frame = X px/sec.

You can use any speed u want actually, any thats comproftable to eye track. TestUFO's default speed is 960.

Dorian

Post by Dorian » 02 Jun 2022, 00:37

Don't worry, thanks for the clarification. A little later I will talk about the results of my tests.

Nocta

Post by Nocta » 02 Jun 2022, 04:10

Discorz wrote:
27 May 2022, 09:21
But according to your description you seem to mainly be stationary gaze type player. Just to confirm, which type of blur do you experience mostly, #1 or #2?

1. stationary eyes, 2. tracking eyes
Image Image
Can you also do this type of tests for someone who mainly plays racing and flying simulators?
I mean there is no crosshair, so what should I focus on to see what I'm sensitive to?
prod1G wrote:
25 May 2022, 10:21
sadly its not for me as 27" is too big and i really can feel the processing lag of 1440p compared to 1080p.
How come there is a processing lag when you up the resolution? Is it because you max out GPU/CPU ingame?

Dorian

Post by Dorian » 06 Jun 2022, 03:35

Discorz, hello!
I tried these tests on a new monitor and didn't see any noticeable difference. In general, I am completely satisfied with it, blurring is much less compared to aoc c27g1. Thanks for your help!

Dorian

Post by Dorian » 06 Jun 2022, 03:37

Can you also do this type of tests for someone who mainly plays racing and flying simulators?

Hello! If the question was meant for me, then no, I'm sorry, I can't do that. Racing and flight simulators are not my type of games, I just don't have them.