Questions regarding GSYNC, VSYNC and frame capping

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
dxnily

Questions regarding GSYNC, VSYNC and frame capping

Post by dxnily » 24 May 2022, 17:52

PC Specs:
Monitor: MSI Optix MAG271C (that's my only monitor).
GPU: RTX 2070 Super
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700
RAM: 16GB

Hi there. I have a couple of questions; I hope this is the right place to ask!

When playing games I get this slight subtle flickering, so I was wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent the flickering? Most games (except shooters) I play at 2560 x 1440 with borderless windowed mode, which gives me a pretty stable +70fps most of the time (which is good enough for me). I turned on FreeSync on my monitor, after which I turned on GSYNC in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I turned it on for both fullscreen and windowed mode.

I've tried changing my monitor's refresh rate. Normally I have it set to 144Hz, but seeing as I only get a stable 70 fps, I thought I'd have to set my monitor's refreshrate to 70Hz aswell (is this something I should or shouldn't do?). When, as an example, capping my framerate at 72, while using 144Hz, I get more intense flickering. My monitor's refresh rate counter shows it fluctating from the cap, to slightly below, to 144Hz, etc. I'm not sure whether the monitor's counter is trustworthy when using GSYNC, but I thought I'd mention it. When having my refresh rate set to 70Hz (with no fps cap) the counter fluctates from 70 to about 67, while my screen still flickers. I've also tried capping one fps below my refresh rate (so that'd be 69fps), but that didn't help either. I've also tried using fullscreen instead of borderless windowed mode, which also did not solve the flickering.

After trying some things I decided to give up on GSYNC (for now; I'm assuming it's the fact that my monitor is just GSYNC Compatible) and just use VSYNC, which is what my next question(s) is/are about. When playing a game which has a mostly stable 70 fps, what would be smart to do:
- setting my monitor to 144Hz, and capping my framerate at 72 fps.
- setting my monitor to 70Hz, and not capping my framerate.
- something else?
I've experimented with both of them, and found that both give me stutters every now and then. Is there something I can do about it, or do I just have to deal with it? It obviously wouldn't be the end of the world, but asking doesn't hurt, right. :D

Regarding the fps capping: should I just straight up cap at (as an example) 72 fps, or should I use RTSS to cap at like 71.916; does that matter much in this case?

Lastly, when playing FPS games, should I, just as before, set my monitor to 100Hz without a cap, or set it to 144Hz, with a cap? I get a stable 100 fps seeing as I play FPS games at 1080 x 1920.

Also, should I enable VSYNC in NVIDIA Control Panel, or in game? I play borderless windowed mode, so I'm not sure if setting it in the NVP is useful.

What I'm really asking is, is there a way for me to play games, with borderless windowed mode, at 70/72 fps, without stuttering (, and peferrably not too much input lag). I do realize that theres a big chance it isn't really possible, but seeing as I'm not always entirely sure what I'm doing, I thought I might aswell just ask! Would buying a new, GSYNC Premium, monitor fix all this, or perhaps just going down to 60 fps for all games, or something else, or is there not much I can do about
it as of right now?

Thanks in advance btw :) I'm not too good with this kind of stuff.

1000WATT

Re: Questions regarding GSYNC, VSYNC and frame capping

Post by 1000WATT » 30 May 2022, 15:07

dxnily wrote: When playing games I get this slight subtle flickering, so I was wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent the flickering?
I've experimented with both of them, and found that both give me stutters every now and then.
Would buying a new, GSYNC Premium, monitor fix all this
GSYNC The monitor will reduce brightness spikes by 99.9%.
Stuttering is not related to VRR technology.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

jorimt

Re: Questions regarding GSYNC, VSYNC and frame capping

Post by jorimt » 04 Jun 2022, 09:26

dxnily wrote:
24 May 2022, 17:52
Monitor: MSI Optix MAG271C (that's my only monitor).
This model doesn't appear to be "officially" G-SYNC Compatible, which means something like lack of VRR flicker is not necessarily guaranteed in that mode on said model.
dxnily wrote:
When playing games I get this slight subtle flickering, so I was wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent the flickering?
Flicker in the upper VRR range on G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync displays is usually due to some sort of LFC issue, typically when it kicks in too late/early.

You can try modifying LFC behavior with CRU, but it's not something I can offer advice on, as I've never needed to do it; my native G-SYNC monitor doesn't have flicker, and my OLED G-SYNC Compatible display has flicker in VRR, but not for the same reasons LCDs do.
dxnily wrote:
I've tried changing my monitor's refresh rate. Normally I have it set to 144Hz, but seeing as I only get a stable 70 fps, I thought I'd have to set my monitor's refreshrate to 70Hz aswell (is this something I should or shouldn't do?).
You should avoid forcing your physical refresh rate lower than native where possible, as with G-SYNC, this will only result in slower frame delivery, regardless of framerate. I.E. ~70 FPS at 70Hz VRR scans in at 14.3ms per frame, whereas 70 FPS 144Hz scans in at 6.9ms per frame.
dxnily wrote:
I've experimented with both of them, and found that both give me stutters every now and then. Is there something I can do about it, or do I just have to deal with it? It obviously wouldn't be the end of the world, but asking doesn't hurt, right. :D
Stutter or flicker? If flicker, see my comments above, if stutter, VRR will not prevent system-side stutter in any configuration, G-SYNC or FreeSync. VRR only prevents V-SYNC stutter.
dxnily wrote:
Regarding the fps capping: should I just straight up cap at (as an example) 72 fps, or should I use RTSS to cap at like 71.916; does that matter much in this case?
That fractional limiting rule only applies to standalone V-SYNC. VRR typically requires a minimum of 3 frames below the current max refresh rate to stay engaged.
dxnily wrote:
Lastly, when playing FPS games, should I, just as before, set my monitor to 100Hz without a cap, or set it to 144Hz, with a cap? I get a stable 100 fps seeing as I play FPS games at 1080 x 1920.
Again, lowering your physical refresh rate is never advisable when using G-SYNC (or no-sync). You're just robbing yourself of a faster refresh, regardless of framerate.
dxnily wrote:
Also, should I enable VSYNC in NVIDIA Control Panel, or in game? I play borderless windowed mode, so I'm not sure if setting it in the NVP is useful.
First off, borderless windowed mode historically doesn't have a great track record with VRR when compared to exclusive fullscreen, and can sometimes have worse frametime performance, resulting in more stutter.

As for NVCP vs. in-game for V-SYNC with G-SYNC, I generally recommend NVCP, as it is more reliable, but you ultimately can use either (assuming the in-game solution is double buffer and works as intended).
dxnily wrote:
What I'm really asking is, is there a way for me to play games, with borderless windowed mode, at 70/72 fps, without stuttering (, and peferrably not too much input lag).
Short answer regarding stutter is "no," since G-SYNC isn't primarily a "stutter" fixer, it's a "tearing" fixer. Stutter is more dependent on the given system specs and game combo.

As for input lag, G-SYNC is the lowest lag tear-free syncing solution possible. Any lower lag would require tearing.
dxnily wrote:
Would buying a new, GSYNC Premium, monitor fix all this, or perhaps just going down to 60 fps for all games, or something else, or is there not much I can do about
it as of right now?
It would probably fix your flicker, but it wouldn't fix your stutter, at least any that is system-side.

If your monitor is skipping frames, or inducing more stutter due the possibly partial G-SYNC Compatible performance, then maybe, but I wouldn't expect any miracles switching to a native model where stutter is directly concerned.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)