360Hz monitor strobe effect: windows oddity or evidence of jitter/noise affecting the monitor?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
spoidah

360Hz monitor strobe effect: windows oddity or evidence of jitter/noise affecting the monitor?

Post by spoidah » 14 Jun 2022, 15:35

I've noticed some jittery-looking behaviour when scrolling through webpages and on desktop (I think it's in-game too, but it's harder to see than black and white text). I took a 120fps recording of my 360Hz monitor, and slowed it down to 60fps. The strobe effect is visible to the naked eye, but it's quite noticeable in slow-mo. Do I finally have some solid evidence of EMI affecting my equipment? (monitor and PC are connected to a power filter, an isolation transformer AND a toroidal CM-style filter, btw)
phpBB [video]

I also have some video of the same thing happening while using 'inspect elements' and looking at the FPS counter of my google chrome browser, despite the browser saying I have 350+fps, the strobe effect remained.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 360Hz monitor strobe effect: windows oddity or evidence of jitter/noise affecting the monitor?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jun 2022, 15:38

1. This definitely is not EMI. Moving thread away from EMI forum. There are too much EMI assumptions where there should never even been remotely thought of for specific things like these.

2. This definitely is not lag related. Moving thread to General forum.

3. This is a well known effect at Blur Busters
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 360Hz monitor strobe effect: windows oddity or evidence of jitter/noise affecting the monitor?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jun 2022, 15:41

spoidah wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 15:35
I've noticed some jittery-looking behaviour when scrolling through webpages and on desktop (I think it's in-game too, but it's harder to see than black and white text). I took a 120fps recording of my 360Hz monitor, and slowed it down to 60fps.
The jitter is simply the low framerate effect.

Also mouse jitter is a very major visual error margin nowadays if you are not already using an 8000 Hz mouse with a 360 Hz gaming monitor.

It's the same effect you see at www.testufo.com/eyetracking#speed=-1 where low framerates feel like they vibrate (like a slow-vibrating guitar string) and high frame rates feel like they blur (like a fast-vibrating guitar string).

This also include stutter harmonics of paint events (e.g. 30-70 stutters per second at 360fps can vibrate so fast that it feels just plain jittery or even blends to blur).

Also, sometimes LCD GtG effects (ghosting, overdrive) can add some rebound-style-effects or amplified-flicker-effects to the vibration/jitterfeel of high-frequency microstutter so it might feel better/worse at specific overdrive settings.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

spoidah

Post by spoidah » 14 Jun 2022, 15:58

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 15:41
spoidah wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 15:35
I've noticed some jittery-looking behaviour when scrolling through webpages and on desktop (I think it's in-game too, but it's harder to see than black and white text). I took a 120fps recording of my 360Hz monitor, and slowed it down to 60fps.
The jitter is simply the low framerate effect.

Also mouse jitter is a very major visual error margin nowadays if you are not already using an 8000 Hz mouse with a 360 Hz gaming monitor.

It's the same effect you see at www.testufo.com/eyetracking#speed=-1 where low framerates feel like they vibrate (like a slow-vibrating guitar string) and high frame rates feel like they blur (like a fast-vibrating guitar string).

This also include stutter harmonics of paint events (e.g. 30-70 stutters per second at 360fps can vibrate so fast that it feels just plain jittery or even blends to blur).

Also, sometimes LCD GtG effects (ghosting, overdrive) can add some rebound-style-effects or amplified-flicker-effects to the vibration/jitterfeel of high-frequency microstutter so it might feel better/worse at specific overdrive settings.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not really sure how the same low-fps effect appears when I'm scrolling through webpages though, my browser says I'm pushing over 350FPS. I'll do some MSI afterburner + rtss tests to see if there's significant frametime issues.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jun 2022, 16:07

spoidah wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 15:58
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not really sure how the same low-fps effect appears when I'm scrolling through webpages though, my browser says I'm pushing over 350FPS. I'll do some MSI afterburner + rtss tests to see if there's significant frametime issues.
Try using the arrow keys instead. Scroll at a perfect pixel-step velocity. The jitter should disappear, unless the GPU struggles to render the webpages during scrolling.

Single framedrops (350fps at 360Hz) can create 10 jitters per second, amplified by the asymmetric GtG heatmap of a single refresh cycle versus a double-refreshed refresh cycle -- i.e. brief surges of ghosting that flickers on/off for 1/360sec. It's normal.

The jitters can be a harmonic/beat frequency of the frame rate and refresh rate, and overdrive artifacts (brief flickers of text darkenings/brightenings) can accompany those jitters.

If you're using the scrollbar, it won't scroll in perfect pulldown, e.g. 2 pixel step one frame, 3 pixel step the next frame 1 pixel step the next frame, and so on. Those will jitter all over the place, depending on the frequency of the larger/smaller jumps, and how the overdrive logic is reacting to them (LCD GtG rebound effects that cause text to go suddenly darker or lighter intermittently).

If you hate this, use the keyboard arrows, or add an improved mousewheel smoothscroller Chrome Extension. Don't drag the scrollbar if you want the most beautiful browser scrolling your 360 Hz monitor can offer. TestUFO-smooth scrolling is only achieved via keyboard arrow keys or via a Chrome Extension to the mousewheel scroller.

spoidah

Post by spoidah » 15 Jun 2022, 01:43

Interesting, thanks. I'll probably give the extension a try