UFO Test + games stutters, FPS dropping to 240fps capped when monitor set to 280Hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Quarksie

UFO Test + games stutters, FPS dropping to 240fps capped when monitor set to 280Hz

Post by Quarksie » 25 Jun 2022, 12:57

Hello,

Sorry in advance if it is not in the right place.
I wanted to talk about my problems with stutters that I'm trying actively to fix.
I have a R9 5900X @4.6 + MSI RTX3080Ti @2010 on a Unify-x B550 with 16gb RAM @3600 CL 14151528

I have constant stutters in overwatch and others online games that I accuse my shitty german cable connection to be the reason of, but I also for the past 5 months stutter in UFO test like crazy, to the point when following the cute alien is painfull to the eye especially when ELMB is active on the VG259QM (@280Hz>@240Hz).

I tried a couple of things like fresh install, couple of safe tweaks like disabling hibernate etc... mainly the things that seems to slightly improve the stutters but don't eradicate it completely are: disabling gamebarpresence + disabling Windows defender completely. It is an obvious improvement, and I might add that the power scheme could be influencing somehow? Trying to swap balance to ultimate performance "feels" different but nothing drastic enough to make me conclude there is a change.

Today I noticed that when I fullscreen the UFO test: first the little lines are more often straight to appear as when windowed (where they are just zig zags) but still I don't really get straight lines more than 2 seconds. It is smooth the couple first seconds then begin to stutter. Second when I exit fullsceen and I look quickly at the fps counter underneath it shows between 230 and 240 fps (never close to 280 Hz). Does it mean anything? Would it mean that my fullscreen is having trouble holding 280fps therefore the stutters? Can I conclude it is the cause for my ingame unsmooth experience (my fps are constantly at of above my Moitor refresh rate, but I didn't look at my 1% and 0.1% lows...)

(btw it stutters no matter G-sync on or off, with this panel it is compatible not really a G-sync module I know)

Thank you for your input
Quarksie

1000WATT

Re: UFO Test + games stutters, FPS dropping to 240fps capped when monitor set to 280Hz

Post by 1000WATT » 26 Jun 2022, 07:04

I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.