I think we don't talk about integer scaling enough!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
willrs

I think we don't talk about integer scaling enough!

Post by willrs » 27 Jun 2022, 14:05

It seems like we're focused mostly on the motion/temporal aspect of blur, which is very important of course, but unless you're using a CRT, you are using a "fixed pixel display", and that means upscale blur is a huge issue (especially when used up close, like a PC monitor). We should talk about blurring upscaling more!

I use this extension on my laptop and it's fantastic https://tanalin.com/en/projects/smart-upscale/

He also has a great page talking about integer scaling here https://tanalin.com/en/articles/integer-scaling/

I never knew of this issue until we got a 4K LCD. I noticed movies didn't look quite as sharp/clear/detailed as our 1080p LCD, and later learned that the blu ray player or TV was doing blurry upscaling (1080p blu ray to 4k). We need to get the word out about this!

kyube

Re: I think we don't talk about integer scaling enough!

Post by kyube » 28 Jun 2022, 09:01

Upscalering methods such as NIS (NVidia Image Scaling) and FSR (FidelityFX Super Resolution) and integrated integer-scaling inside NVidia drivers exist, but they're locked to Pascal and above (the latter being Turing and above, due to RTX cores supposedly)
From what I recall, NIS uses Lanczos' algorithm to upscale.
Upscaling seems to have gained some attention from software side of things, but, there is no hardware solution yet on the monitor market, that is true. Or it would be true if it weren't for the EVE Spectrum, which has integer-scaling inside it's OSD.
Hopefully manifacturers take heed, but, I doubt it very much. Just like seeing adjustable strobing, manifacturers don't care for the niche of integer based scaling :/

willrs

Post by willrs » 28 Jun 2022, 11:59

It's crazy to me because, it SHOULDN'T be considered niche! When we got our 4K LCD, I noticed it right away (yes, I'm a pixel peeper hahaha). The fact that blurry upscaling can make a 4K TV look worse than a 1080p TV when it comes to 1080p content is actually hilarious. People are spending their hard earned cash thinking they're getting an upgrade but for the majority of content, it's not an upgrade at all! And that's just TV's, it's even worse on PC monitors and phones because you are much closer to the device, so you can see the upscale blur

willrs

Post by willrs » 30 Jun 2022, 17:05

Sorry for the double post but is there anything about integer scaling and related on the blur busters site? I can't seem to find much! This is so important if you're gaming on a PC monitor because you are close enough to the screen that you will actually notice the difference

willrs

Post by willrs » 03 Jul 2022, 16:05

Also, integer scaling should be a requirement for the "Blur Busters Approved" certification!