What is the best 1440p for motion blur ? (in IPS panel)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
jorimt

Re: What is the best 1440p for motion blur ? (in IPS panel)

Post by jorimt » 03 Jul 2022, 17:21

Anonymous316387 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 14:56
Mmh honestly not at all, i think you don't understand what is my demand here :( , i'm good with my MAG274QRF-QD but it's only 165hz and i've play with 240hz 1080p few years, it's blurry because it's only 165hz and IPS panel.
I think too much is getting lost in translation.

I understand what you want, but I'm saying even if you find a 240Hz LCD with less overdrive artifacts, if you don't use strobing, you'll still have image persistence. But if all you want is better overdrive performance at a higher max refresh rate, then the newest "fast" 240Hz 1440p IPS-type panels at the optimal overdrive preset should suffice for you.
Anonymous316387 wrote:
i'm not agree with what you say about backlight strobing, because this technologie add a bad thing wich call's "Crosstalk"
I'm fully aware, but OLED strobing doesn't have visible crosstalk, only LCD.

Crosstalk is caused by the slow native GtG transitions of LCD, which OLED doesn't have, that's why I said the clearest motion you can get right now is OLED strobing, but it's currently only available on LG TVs, and it causes flicker, reduced brightness, and more input lag, so pick your poison, basically.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Anonymous316387

Post by Anonymous316387 » 03 Jul 2022, 18:01

jorimt wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 17:21
Anonymous316387 wrote:
Mmh honestly not at all, i think you don't understand what is my demand here :( , i'm good with my MAG274QRF-QD but it's only 165hz and i've play with 240hz 1080p few years, it's blurry because it's only 165hz and IPS panel.
I think too much is getting lost in translation.

I understand what you want, but I'm saying even if you find a 240Hz LCD with less overdrive artifacts, if you don't use strobing, you'll still have image persistence. But if all you want is better overdrive performance at a higher max refresh rate, then the newest "fast" 240Hz 1440p IPS-type panels at the optimal overdrive preset should suffice for you.
Anonymous316387 wrote:
i'm not agree with what you say about backlight strobing, because this technologie add a bad thing wich call's "Crosstalk"
I'm fully aware, but OLED strobing doesn't have visible crosstalk, only LCD.

Crosstalk is caused by the slow native GtG transitions of LCD, which OLED doesn't have, that's why I said the clearest motion you can get right now is OLED strobing, but it's currently only available on LG TVs, and it causes flicker, reduced brightness, and more input lag, so pick your poison, basically.
traduction is a bit confusing but however i'm clear,

i have literally test all big references pratically, some people can say that too, some references have very bad performance and don't suit with what they want in terms of performance, i know that there is still ghosting, it's LCD, i know that and you are right.

my initial question here is : What is the best 1440p IPS 240hz ( don't want strobing / best overdrive handling with minimal overshoot as possible )

my choice is only the MSI or the Asus that you mention earlier

About LG OLED, thank you but i know that OLED are better for the pixel response time ( but not for the smoothness if it's only 60 or 120hz/brightness etc ) , but a simply OLED 60hz become always bad in comparison of good LCD monitors, a reviewer in my country have test backlight strobing on LG OLED TV and he found that very bad in comparison of a XL2546K with DyAc so i don't know, anyway i really don't care about strobing so...why we talk about that ? haha :lol:

and we have also the size of the screen....the importance of brightness, black equaliser stuff, the input lag with 120hz vs 240hz, burn-in issue, OLED is not for now.

For backlight strobing i can't speak about that because i don't want and i don't like strobing stuff.

again, thanks for that but i already knew that ^^'

in conclusion like you said, yeah, strobing OLED in terms of motion clarity will be incredible but it's not what i really want...anyway the input lag on TV + very low brightness/strobing causing me headache...horrible.

I think there was a little confusion on my questions and clarifications but it's very cool to talking about that !

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 03 Jul 2022, 19:30

Anonymous316387 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:01

so i don't know, anyway i really don't care about strobing so...why we talk about that ? haha :lol:
I'm not telling you to buy a monitor with strobing, and I know you don't like strobing. You made that very clear in your original post, which is why I originally recommended the PG279QM, a model that doesn't even support strobing.

I was only telling you more about strobing and GtG, because good overdrive will only fix smearing/ghosting, not double image blur, and you have claimed to test a lot of monitors and not been completely happy with any of them, so you might have been thinking that good overdrive on a decent 240Hz 1440p IPS panel will fix all your motion blur issues without strobing. I'm simply warning you it won't. That's all.

Thus, while the PG279QM has some of the best overdrive performance for a non-strobed 240Hz 1440p monitor, it's far from blur-free, and like all monitors, it doesn't have a "perfect" picture, so I simply hope for your sake that it or the XG27AQM will meet your standards.

Anyway, bottom-line is that almost all the fastest 1440p 240Hz IPS monitors currently available (not many) use the exact same or similar panel, so there's not a lot of options right now.

If you already knew all that, great, in which case I have nothing else to say.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Artu57

Post by Artu57 » 04 Jul 2022, 02:47

Anonymous316387 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 08:53
Hi, Honestly i really don't know....because all 1080P 240hz IPS are just a copy paste unfortunately...
But i have tried the MSI MAG251RX and the Asus VG259QM and the color accuracy for IPS panel are really bad ( certainly because it's 240hz ) but for the color accuracy that they done, you will better with BenQ XL2540K wich have better motion handling and overdrive handling too, better stand.

anyway the VG259QM for me it's the worst...and i've had 4 of this because one having stuck pixel issue etc and finally i've find that in comparison of other, it's the worst for me.

The ELMB are useless because too dark ( and i'm allergic to Backlight Strobing ) so is cause me headache.

The MSI MAG251RX is a little better for motion handling and overdrive but it's pratically the same...

and my unit of MAG251RX that i've had having clouding issue.

In fact, we must stop buying lots of screens in the same year, because they use the same panel and do not innovate enough.
MSI/ASUS etc just buy AUO OPTRONIC and other panels and slightly retouch the screen each time but in general it will be the same thing unfortunately...

Otherwise, I don't know what the AOC is worth...but I'm not a fan of their products, the VG258QM too i don't know if it's worth but it's TN panel so what do you think about the XL2540K ?
XL2540K is too expensive for me. Should i wait for new monitors or just try AOC i really dont know... Also i wonder. is Asus vg259QM Is input lag bad?

Anonymous316387

Post by Anonymous316387 » 04 Jul 2022, 11:45

jorimt wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:30
Anonymous316387 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:01

so i don't know, anyway i really don't care about strobing so...why we talk about that ? haha :lol:
I'm not telling you to buy a monitor with strobing, and I know you don't like strobing. You made that very clear in your original post, which is why I originally recommended the PG279QM, a model that doesn't even support strobing.

I was only telling you more about strobing and GtG, because good overdrive will only fix smearing/ghosting, not double image blur, and you have claimed to test a lot of monitors and not been completely happy with any of them, so you might have been thinking that good overdrive on a decent 240Hz 1440p IPS panel will fix all your motion blur issues without strobing. I'm simply warning you it won't. That's all.

Thus, while the PG279QM has some of the best overdrive performance for a non-strobed 240Hz 1440p monitor, it's far from blur-free, and like all monitors, it doesn't have a "perfect" picture, so I simply hope for your sake that it or the XG27AQM will meet your standards.

Anyway, bottom-line is that almost all the fastest 1440p 240Hz IPS monitors currently available (not many) use the exact same or similar panel, so there's not a lot of options right now.

If you already knew all that, great, in which case I have nothing else to say.
But the price of PG279QM... :(

Don't worry, if you have good panel with good overdrive you won't notice anymore "double image blur" for example with XL2540K you don't have that, without DyAc, but i didn't like because it's TN and 25inch.

Yes the XG27AQM and the MAG274QRX will be good for me i'm sure, because it's the two only monitor wich apparently have good overdrive handling ( and your Asus but the price i'm cry )

i don't know how people can play with strobing things because crosstalk is just more horrible than classic motion blur.

Anonymous316387

Post by Anonymous316387 » 04 Jul 2022, 11:47

Artu57 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 02:47
Anonymous316387 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 08:53
Hi, Honestly i really don't know....because all 1080P 240hz IPS are just a copy paste unfortunately...
But i have tried the MSI MAG251RX and the Asus VG259QM and the color accuracy for IPS panel are really bad ( certainly because it's 240hz ) but for the color accuracy that they done, you will better with BenQ XL2540K wich have better motion handling and overdrive handling too, better stand.

anyway the VG259QM for me it's the worst...and i've had 4 of this because one having stuck pixel issue etc and finally i've find that in comparison of other, it's the worst for me.

The ELMB are useless because too dark ( and i'm allergic to Backlight Strobing ) so is cause me headache.

The MSI MAG251RX is a little better for motion handling and overdrive but it's pratically the same...

and my unit of MAG251RX that i've had having clouding issue.

In fact, we must stop buying lots of screens in the same year, because they use the same panel and do not innovate enough.
MSI/ASUS etc just buy AUO OPTRONIC and other panels and slightly retouch the screen each time but in general it will be the same thing unfortunately...

Otherwise, I don't know what the AOC is worth...but I'm not a fan of their products, the VG258QM too i don't know if it's worth but it's TN panel so what do you think about the XL2540K ?
XL2540K is too expensive for me. Should i wait for new monitors or just try AOC i really dont know... Also i wonder. is Asus vg259QM Is input lag bad?
The VG259QM is really bad ( for not saying garbage... ) it's my opinion.

the XL2540K in my country cost only 300 euro, it's the same price than the VG259QM, no ?

Yes you can try the AOC, you can't make worse than the VG259QM i think.

i've wont notice any input lag problem, just the overdrive handling is really bad.

anyway you can see the UFO Test of Axaro1 on Youtube.

oh ! yes i've had some dead pixel on my units of this Asus.

Anonymous316387

Post by Anonymous316387 » 18 Jul 2022, 22:37

https://youtu.be/m40xDD7D1f8Hi, I think some of you have seen the video of Hardware Unboxed...unfortunately the MAG274QRX are really really bad...

Yes, only 20% of refresh compliance on the second mode of overdrive which it's the best without having horrible reverse ghosting.

It's very sad but after all it's a sharp panel, not a AUO Optronics.

I'm still stuck with my MAG274QRF-QD which have really big bad motion blur... ( or I'm allergic to low refresh rate? )

I really must play on 240hz panel, I will probably test two references on the next month :

- Asus XG27AQM ( 1440p 240hz Fast-IPS )

- HP 27 X ( 1440p 240hz TN )

I don't really want to pay practically 900 euro for a PG279QM and I really don't want to go back on small 1080p zowie tn display, it's too small/grainy and not perfect for my usage and mostly apex legends.

It's incredible how we are always stuck in 2022 for that...stupid LCD's 😭