Interlace pattern artifacts (Dell Alienware AW2521HFLA)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Trastof

Interlace pattern artifacts (Dell Alienware AW2521HFLA)

Post by Trastof » 30 Jun 2022, 09:00

Hello folks,

I didn´t find a similar topic on this forum so I am creating a new one.

Last two weeks I did research in rtings.com, blurbusters.com, youtube.com, pcmonitors.info, etc., and I decided to buy Alienware AW2521HFLA (in my country letters L stands for white version and A is for Europe).
Specs of monitor:
24.5 inches 1080p IPS 240Hz Freesync/Gsync

So I bought 24.5“ Dell Alienware AW2521HFLA. First of all I have to say it´s a great monitor with more pros than cons but I noticed one big issue which my eyes can´t accept. Even IPS glow is tolerable.

That thing is Interlace pattern artifacts :cry: I noticed that when gaming especially Elden Ring which is locked 60FPS game. When moving it appears as long as I don´t stop moving. It irritates me a lot and the image takes on the look of a CRT monitor. On the other side when I play Hunt Showdown, DayZ or other non-locked FPS game at 165-240FPS/Hz, I don´t see any issues.

I enclose a quote from the site where they did the monitor analysis:
We observed some faint vertical static interlace patterns at ~60Hz and below, but these were not particularly obtrusive.
But trust me it´s very visible and disturbing. I noticed it the very first moment I started the game.
Analysis site here: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-al ... _artifacts

I tried many tips like change cable from DP to HDMI, turn off Freesync, change overdrive, change brightnes, change sharpness, change or turn off ICC profil but nothing helped.

Ok so that was main topic and now I am pleased to ask questions:
1. Did you guys observe same issue on this monitor or other monitors?
2. Could you advise me which monitors do not have this problem (Interlace pattern artifacts) ?

I hope for response
Thank you!

Trastof

shepgoba

Re: Interlace pattern artifacts (Dell Alienware AW2521HFLA)

Post by shepgoba » 01 Jul 2022, 23:00

Hi, I have the same effect on my 2 S2522HG displays when I run them at 60Hz (I mention this because it has the same panel as the alienware) It's part of why I do not use them with G-SYNC at all because of this effect. To fix it, you can disable g sync and run them at fixed 240hz (my solution). I don't think there's another way due to how the pixel inversion of this monitor is

edit: i noticed you said you disabled freesync. Are you sure it was off on the monitor side as well? try disabling it in the OSD

Trastof

Post by Trastof » 02 Jul 2022, 07:24

shepgoba wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 23:00
Hi, I have the same effect on my 2 S2522HG displays when I run them at 60Hz (I mention this because it has the same panel as the alienware) It's part of why I do not use them with G-SYNC at all because of this effect. To fix it, you can disable g sync and run them at fixed 240hz (my solution). I don't think there's another way due to how the pixel inversion of this monitor is

edit: i noticed you said you disabled freesync. Are you sure it was off on the monitor side as well? try disabling it in the OSD
Hi, thank you for reply! Ohh I find out that Elden Ring is very specific game I set freesync off in the OSD and it helped a lot! But in addition to I changed in Elden Ring from fullscreen to windowed fullsreen and it unlocked 240Hz on monitor instead of 60Hz.

As you said when I turn freesync off i have 240Hz permanently and very minimal interlace pattern artifacts (about 80% less visible) but there still is :D

According to this site displayspecifications.com your monitor has different panel. Yours is LG display and mine is AU Optronics
https://www.displayspecifications.com/e ... fe631afd50

Do you know which 23-25 inches 144-240Hz monitors doesn´t have this artifact?

shepgoba

Post by shepgoba » 02 Jul 2022, 18:32

oh interesting I always thought they had the same panel. Regardless I never notice the artifact on 240hz for my monitor unless i look for it (Even then i cant always see it)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jul 2022, 20:19

I can confirm these are inversion artifacts

They are more common on TN and VA and very rare on IPS, but it's interesting that these are visible to you on this IPS panel;

(All LCD monitors have inversion algorithms out of necessity, but the inversion is supposed to be invisible as possible).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 03 Jul 2022, 14:14

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 20:19
They are more common on TN and VA and very rare on IPS, but it's interesting that these are visible to you on this IPS panel;
For what it's worth, there were very faint inversion artifacts (expressed as subtle, mostly static grid lines, primarily evident in more solid or uniform content) on my previous XB271HU (IPS-type) with G-SYNC at < ~60 FPS 165Hz, and now with G-SYNC at < ~120 FPS 240Hz on my PQ279QM (IPS-type).

They're simply much less aggressive on IPS compared to most TN panels in the same scenarios to the point that many users may not notice it on the former, at least from my first-hand experience with the VRR-capable LCD displays I've owned/used.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)