MSI MAG274QRF-QD Review ! ( for mix usage but mostly Apex Legends ! )

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Anonymous316387

MSI MAG274QRF-QD Review ! ( for mix usage but mostly Apex Legends ! )

Post by Anonymous316387 » 19 Jul 2022, 18:45

Greetings to all, I absolutely wanted to talk about my current monitor which I thought would be my perfect monitor at the moment but CLEARLY NOT! (because before that I tried lots of IPS 1080P 240hz IPS but I didn't like it...same for TN, I would like IF POSSIBLE not to go back to TN anymore)

The MSI MAG274QRF-QD.

It clearly has the best color reproduction on gaming monitors I've ever had, 10/10 on color volume and SDR Color Gammut on RTINGS it's clearly incredible, for my non-gaming use it's insane, the Quantum Dots filter is appreciable and this time visible, not like on the Odyssey G7...

It's sharp ( thank to 1440p panel even if it's only grainy matte coating... )

We have the Gaming OSD which is really good! to configure several profiles and change a parameter super quickly, I love it.

But for the negative point of the monitor ... that's why I'm going to sell it and faster than expected.

In fact I played on TN 240hz for about 3 years and so it's been almost a year that I play in 1440p 165hz and I'm still not used to it....it's so blurry...micro stuttering/tearing without G-Sync because of the low hertz rate it's also super boring...

In reality, even if the monitor has 100% in terms of "refresh compliance" ( you can see that on Hardware Unboxed channel ) I don't care because for me it's almost unusable in FPS like Apex Legends against people from high level that requires a good reaction time and super fast movements to be able to handle this kind of strong enemy (which are often on BenQ 240hz, something like that)

And since I left my AW2518FH Alienware, I feel like a big shit in all my FPS, I play in 2304x1440 stretch 16:10 1440p, because 16:9 1440p are so slow to play with that ( slow for fast movement with my mouse, it's just the feeling and the drop of FPS are to much high for me )

Yes, the ghosting of this screen is really horrible, it's super high and on top of that the brightness is not that high, especially in Apex Legends, I constantly have to put my contrast above 65 with 100% brightness otherwise I find it dark (and even with the black equalizer)

The biggest concern here is this monitor's ability to handle motion blur, for my purposes that's horrible, so ok, for digital drawing that's cool! (my wife has the same monitor and loves it for drawing) but she has the same concern as me, the ghosting is just too high, so much so that I have to play on the overdrive mode at maximum level to limit the ghosting even if I have to accept the fact of playing with reverse ghosting.

ELMB mode is clearly garbage, crosstalk all the time and the screen is even darker, impossible to play with that.

It's a little rough, but if you have any questions don't hesitate, anyway I'm going to part with it, I'm going to test 1440P 240hz IPS and TN in August, I can't wait to replace this screen which very clearly restricts me.

And another concern that I almost forgot, the screen for office use in a dark or dimly lit room burns your eyes! even by setting the contrast / brightness super low, on the other hand if I put it too low I see nothing, this screen drives me crazy xD

striker333

Re: MSI MAG274QRF-QD Review ! ( for mix usage but mostly Apex Legends ! )

Post by striker333 » 21 Aug 2022, 17:29

what monitor did u get ? I am at the same boat . but my options aren't wide like yours . almost one year and didn't get the monitor I need . bought G7 and sold it was a bad experience . then I bought M27Q X .motion blur wasn't the best but colors was so good specially after using BENQ 2720z TN panel but returned it due to bright pixels problem .the decided to get the MSI MAG274QRX but it isn't available in my country . may be gonna be available in 3 months or more . so my options are M27Q X again or the MSI MAG274QRF without the QD . any recommendation ? btw my main usage is games specially Apex Legends then Movies and media

Anonymous316387

Post by Anonymous316387 » 27 Aug 2022, 18:16

striker333 wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 17:29
what monitor did u get ? I am at the same boat . but my options aren't wide like yours . almost one year and didn't get the monitor I need . bought G7 and sold it was a bad experience . then I bought M27Q X .motion blur wasn't the best but colors was so good specially after using BENQ 2720z TN panel but returned it due to bright pixels problem .the decided to get the MSI MAG274QRX but it isn't available in my country . may be gonna be available in 3 months or more . so my options are M27Q X again or the MSI MAG274QRF without the QD . any recommendation ? btw my main usage is games specially Apex Legends then Movies and media
Hello and thank you for your comment, I felt so alone on this post haha...
it really depends, if you are a very casual and naive player the MSI could be good for you (but it's laughable to say that because after all we are on a site for demanding people)

Seriously NO, after teaching my wife what reverse ghosting, ghosting etc.
She notices it immediately, although she was basically casual (and it bothers her) however...she plays on an MSI MAG274QRF-QD...and now she absolutely wants to switch to an IPS 1440p 240hz QD (or a TN in 1440p)

I sold mine a few days ago and I'm glad I parted with this screen, really, to play it's really infamous, only the Quantum Dots save it, so if we're talking about the non-QD version my god it must be even worse.

I'm a big fan of apex legends and I've been playing it since the beginning, it's the worst gaming experience I've had, simply because the 1440p eats too much performance but on top of that the 165hz is super vomit on fps and 99% of FPS players now even the casual ones have understood that 1080p/1440p 240hz has become the base, if you want enjoyable gameplay and compete with opponents, 240hz is the thing to have absolutely , afterwards, the TN in 165hz remains acceptable, but not the ips nor the VA...

So do not take the MSI! especially not ! if you want a screen with infamous motion blur then go for it...and also atrocious reverse ghosting at overdrive 3 (overdrive 2 has way too much ghosting) and the screen in any case is slow , everything is blurry, it's really bad, in fact, it has the same performance as the Dell S2721DGFA except that here it is in quantum dots.

What did I go on? So I tried the Asus XG27AQM a few weeks ago and I found the screen blurry....I didn't feel so strong and I didn't feel it was so responsive, it wasn't the worst but I did not feel better compared to the MSI, it was better than the MSI but for the price it was not incredible (in addition there was no sharpness option and I find it essential personally)

So I sent it back to test the MSI NXG253R Oculux and it was very good! but 360hz useless even with a 3080....and if you don't do 360fps you will have a big input lag, in addition to reach such a number of fps you have to put EVERYTHING on low and it was unbearable (Call of duty cold war / Apex Legends) and the colors of the Oculux were awful, compared to the MSI QD (MAG274QRF-QD) afterwards, the MSI Oculux did not have colors as horrible as the Asus VG259QM which I describe as "garb*ge"

So I have the HP OMEN X 27 (TN panel) coming Monday, I can't wait, hoping it's good....and if the HP doesn't suit me I'll test an Acer Nitro 1440p 240hz Quantum Dots

(ah and the MSI Oculux had a burn-in problem when it turned off, I don't know how to explain it but I'll put a video on a dedicated post later)

What do you mean by "bright pixel" for Gigabyte?

What didn't you like about the G7?

aditrex

Post by aditrex » 31 Aug 2022, 23:38

can we get some update on this topic how u feel about hp omen x27 im on 240hz ips from msi but kinda scared to go to TN panel i would really like to get update how u feel on upgrade

striker333

Post by striker333 » 03 Sep 2022, 13:52

Anonymous316387 wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 18:16
striker333 wrote:
it really depends, if you are a very casual and naive player the MSI could be good for you (but it's laughable to say that because after all we are on a site for demanding people)

She notices it immediately, although she was basically casual (and it bothers her) however...she plays on an MSI MAG274QRF-QD...and now she absolutely wants to switch to an IPS 1440p 240hz QD (or a TN in 1440p)

I sold mine a few days ago and I'm glad I parted with this screen, really, to play it's really infamous, only the Quantum Dots save it, so if we're talking about the non-QD version my god it must be even worse.

I'm a big fan of apex legends and I've been playing it since the beginning, it's the worst gaming experience I've had, simply because the 1440p eats too much performance but on top of that the 165hz is super vomit on fps and 99% of FPS players now even the casual ones have understood that 1080p/1440p 240hz has become the base, if you want enjoyable gameplay and compete with opponents, 240hz is the thing to have absolutely , afterwards, the TN in 165hz remains acceptable, but not the ips nor the VA...

So do not take the MSI! especially not ! if you want a screen with infamous motion blur then go for it...and also atrocious reverse ghosting at overdrive 3 (overdrive 2 has way too much ghosting) and the screen in any case is slow , everything is blurry, it's really bad, in fact, it has the same performance as the Dell S2721DGFA except that here it is in quantum dots.

What did I go on? So I tried the Asus XG27AQM a few weeks ago and I found the screen blurry....I didn't feel so strong and I didn't feel it was so responsive, it wasn't the worst but I did not feel better compared to the MSI, it was better than the MSI but for the price it was not incredible (in addition there was no sharpness option and I find it essential personally)

So I sent it back to test the MSI NXG253R Oculux and it was very good! but 360hz useless even with a 3080....and if you don't do 360fps you will have a big input lag, in addition to reach such a number of fps you have to put EVERYTHING on low and it was unbearable (Call of duty cold war / Apex Legends) and the colors of the Oculux were awful, compared to the MSI QD (MAG274QRF-QD) afterwards, the MSI Oculux did not have colors as horrible as the Asus VG259QM which I describe as "garb*ge"

So I have the HP OMEN X 27 (TN panel) coming Monday, I can't wait, hoping it's good....and if the HP doesn't suit me I'll test an Acer Nitro 1440p 240hz Quantum Dots

(ah and the MSI Oculux had a burn-in problem when it turned off, I don't know how to explain it but I'll put a video on a dedicated post later)

Late better than nothing :D . thx for the reply .unfortunately I bought another M27Q X again it have almost no dead pixels or stuck pixels .the bright pixel I meant is a stuck light pixel appear in black background . the performance without the FREESYNC is much better than it on . I think it is useless with 240hz screen . i set the HZ to 200 and apex legends fps to 180 . almost minimal tearing and is not recognized at all and the performance is so smooth . my problem now is the crap color I don't know what is the problem . the previous one have much better color . i tried almost every single settings in this monitor with no luck . the problem is like camera exposure too high . I cant describe it well but in apex legends kings canyon for example the sand like it is very bright than other color and the sky too what ever u do to contrast and brightness it affects the surrounding colors but some area still glowing and shiny . this didn't happen with the previous one . and then there is like a black frame surrounding some area . u know it looks like when u enable the dynamic contrast but it is off . besides have more bleeding and glowing . I don't know what happened to nowadays monitors technology QC . add to this the top half of the screen is brighter than the other half like my old G7 . I am so sensitive to blurring too and this monitor isn't that good btw . for this I knew why they didn't review such thing in this forum . I bought this monitor depending on RTINGS and hw unboxed reviews . maybe they have better samples I don't know . I think I am gonna sell this crap and wont buy anything at least for now . I have no problem to pay 100$ or more for same monitor they offer without those defects like glowing and bleeding . about what I liked about the G7 . it was little bit smoother and ofc the black levels was much better cuz it is VA panel . btw u have much better chance to get what satisfy u . I hope u get it . cuz in my country I have no a lot of options . besides I cant try the monitor and refund and doing this many times . my chance to return mine is so minimal . they gonna say it have no problem as long as it have no dead or stuck pixels . so good luck with yours and tell me about your experience with the new monitor . I am interested to know . thx again

striker333

Post by striker333 » 03 Sep 2022, 14:07

BTW . wanted to ask if u have this problem with apex legends when u change your looking vertically color get brighter and dimmer . when u look up it is brighter and when looking down with mouse it got dimmer ?? and when changing viewing fast like open a door and got to sun it looks like when u are in a dark room and suddenly looked to the sun. we can say color gradient problem ? . sorry about my description . my English isn't that good

Anonymous316387

Post by Anonymous316387 » 08 Sep 2022, 18:04

aditrex wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 23:38
can we get some update on this topic how u feel about hp omen x27 im on 240hz ips from msi but kinda scared to go to TN panel i would really like to get update how u feel on upgrade
You will probably laugh but I sent it back 1 day later, it was HORRIBLE, I had never seen that before (well yes, with its 25 inch version) but I did not expect that.

Clearly, the panel was extremely grainy (but a bit too much...) even the Dell and Alienware screens which are known for their awful and grainy side are laughable next to the panel of this HP, in addition the performance in ghosting was clearly not perfect, I couldn't react and kill my opponents correctly, really horrible, in addition the 1440p is useless because the screen is blurry / grainy and if you add sharpness the screen becomes all weird.. ..in any case the osd is a horror to control and it's super boring! in addition the screen heats up a lot on its lower edge where the "omen" logo is written.

Really, one of the worst I've had with the Asus VG259QM.

Tomorrow I will receive the Acer Nitro XV272UX 1440p 270hz and I can't wait!

Anonymous316387

Post by Anonymous316387 » 08 Sep 2022, 18:23

striker333 wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 13:52
Anonymous316387 wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 18:16
striker333 wrote:

Late better than nothing :D . thx for the reply .unfortunately I bought another M27Q X again it have almost no dead pixels or stuck pixels .the bright pixel I meant is a stuck light pixel appear in black background . the performance without the FREESYNC is much better than it on . I think it is useless with 240hz screen . i set the HZ to 200 and apex legends fps to 180 . almost minimal tearing and is not recognized at all and the performance is so smooth . my problem now is the crap color I don't know what is the problem . the previous one have much better color . i tried almost every single settings in this monitor with no luck . the problem is like camera exposure too high . I cant describe it well but in apex legends kings canyon for example the sand like it is very bright than other color and the sky too what ever u do to contrast and brightness it affects the surrounding colors but some area still glowing and shiny . this didn't happen with the previous one . and then there is like a black frame surrounding some area . u know it looks like when u enable the dynamic contrast but it is off . besides have more bleeding and glowing . I don't know what happened to nowadays monitors technology QC . add to this the top half of the screen is brighter than the other half like my old G7 . I am so sensitive to blurring too and this monitor isn't that good btw . for this I knew why they didn't review such thing in this forum . I bought this monitor depending on RTINGS and hw unboxed reviews . maybe they have better samples I don't know . I think I am gonna sell this crap and wont buy anything at least for now . I have no problem to pay 100$ or more for same monitor they offer without those defects like glowing and bleeding . about what I liked about the G7 . it was little bit smoother and ofc the black levels was much better cuz it is VA panel . btw u have much better chance to get what satisfy u . I hope u get it . cuz in my country I have no a lot of options . besides I cant try the monitor and refund and doing this many times . my chance to return mine is so minimal . they gonna say it have no problem as long as it have no dead or stuck pixels . so good luck with yours and tell me about your experience with the new monitor . I am interested to know . thx again
In fact it's very simple, now I'm only going to try interesting monitors and not just buy poor Gigabyte / HP screens etc.

Afterwards, without taking offense, the M27QX is really bad, no screen of this brand is good in reality, it's just "passable" if you have very few requirements.

So when you tell me that the screen has a lot of weird problems, it doesn't shock me, after all the MSI I'm talking about here has a LOT of problems, it has insane ghosting (so much so that it makes me nauseous) and if you put the latest overdrive mode, the reverse ghosting is just so infamous that during big movements in games, you can't see anything.
and don't worry about Apex Legends, this game is super badly done, a lot of places in Apex are super dark and others too bright but me too my MSI does this kind of weird stuff with the contrast, for example on pale and dark colors it will be not very bright and on white it will burn my eyes...

You know, Rtings don't have the ultimate reason, I've already found myself disagreeing with them many times, because they test with machines and do "paper" and not "human" tests, for example according to their probes the Asus VG259QM is good in color and has very good ghosting, I've had this model about 4 times....it's always been crap for me, amazing ghosting and ugliest colors I've ever seen on monitor.

Except that in reality, even the type of "grainy or glossy" coating affects motion blur, for example on the HP X 27 that I had, the screen not only is not perfect but I had the impression of having a 165hz for motion blur, simply because the panel was super grainy/fuzzy.

If you have a 240hz 1440p with a Glossy panel, I can assure you that the motion blur would be slightly better, because you will focus directly on the enemy, the grainy matte treatment on the monitor must disappear because it adds a blur effect on the screens and we perceive less well.

Then you can look at all the posts I made by clicking on my profile, I'm very active here!

Anonymous316387

Post by Anonymous316387 » 08 Sep 2022, 18:30

striker333 wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 14:07
BTW . wanted to ask if u have this problem with apex legends when u change your looking vertically color get brighter and dimmer . when u look up it is brighter and when looking down with mouse it got dimmer ?? and when changing viewing fast like open a door and got to sun it looks like when u are in a dark room and suddenly looked to the sun. we can say color gradient problem ? . sorry about my description . my English isn't that good
Yes, I see what you're talking about.

Me too I have this phenomenon that when you look at the ground it's a bit dark and the more you look at the top it's bright, in reality it's Apex lol

But when you are on King's Canyon for example and you have sun in the game and you enter a building, you see nothing in the building because it's all black, right? and the screen takes 3 years to update its brightness?

If you're talking about that, it's the game but also the screens! it depends on the response time from black to white and gray to gray, the M27QX and the MSI MAG274QRF-QD have response times that are really not crazy... ( and Black Equalizer help a little about that )

If you take a BenQ XL2546K for example, this phenomenon will not occur or very very little because it's a 1080p TN 240hz very fast panel for that.

If you want advice don't hesitate, I have tried almost all recent screens and I know about their qualities and their weaknesses.

striker333

Post by striker333 » 09 Sep 2022, 07:18

Anonymous316387 wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 18:30
striker333 wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 14:07
Yes, I see what you're talking about.

Me too I have this phenomenon that when you look at the ground it's a bit dark and the more you look at the top it's bright, in reality it's Apex lol

But when you are on King's Canyon for example and you have sun in the game and you enter a building, you see nothing in the building because it's all black, right? and the screen takes 3 years to update its brightness?

If you're talking about that, it's the game but also the screens! it depends on the response time from black to white and gray to gray, the M27QX and the MSI MAG274QRF-QD have response times that are really not crazy... ( and Black Equalizer help a little about that )

If you take a BenQ XL2546K for example, this phenomenon will not occur or very very little because it's a 1080p TN 240hz very fast panel for that.

If you want advice don't hesitate, I have tried almost all recent screens and I know about their qualities and their weaknesses.
Thx again for your reply . happy to found some one have my exact same problems and feel it . it is actually a personal problem . ya the new monitors are mostly bad and crap but most people try to adapt to it . but not me . my eyes is so sensitive . motion and blurring affect me badly even affect my aim so hard in games . I cant go with OLED cuz of the cost and the burning in problem . I waited a lot after using my 2720z even posted many times in this forum and others and then got a monitor that didn't satisfy me . but as I told u I have little option . btw the m27qx costs here about 680$$ :D . I missed the CRT monitors . there was no complain about anything no blurring and no response time :D besides old games had much better optimizations . imagine what I am trying to play at 60HZ with this monitor :D I feel I am better with 60HZ with terms of less motion . feel image is clear but have stuttering ofc and more response time . may be u will find this not scientific . about apex legends I found best settings for this monitor after trying so many thing and ya it is apex legends problem more than the monitor . I hope u find the monitor u want . good luck with this trip :D . cuz I am done . just ill try to get another m27qx if I can cuz I have a lot of bleeding with this unit .