[FIX] Alienware AW2518HF frameskipping/ghosting fix (and possibly all the other AW2XXX series such as the AW2521HF)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
TommioTTV

Re: [FIX] Alienware AW2518HF frameskipping/ghosting fix (and possibly all the other AW2XXX series such as the AW2521)

Post by TommioTTV » 27 Sep 2022, 04:09

RestTarRr wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 07:05
Is this better than the exact reduced fix?

BTW how did you know these exact numbers are the correct ones when manual doesn't allow for 121 front porch? Can I somehow brick my monitor with this?
Exact Reduced improved input lag for me, but gave me stutters and didn't fix the ghosting issue for me.

xW4LK3R

Re: [FIX] Alienware AW2518HF frameskipping/ghosting fix (and possibly all the other AW2XXX series such as the AW2521)

Post by xW4LK3R » 02 Jan 2023, 22:38

Hey there! I'm just passing by to say that I've only created my account to make this comment on your post!

First of all, I'd like to appreciate you for all this useful info that you posted and would also like to share my experience with those settings using the Alienware AW2521HF IPS 240Hz monitor via DISPLAYPORT.

All the ghosting that I had when using the overdrive settings neither being Super Fast or Extreme just went away after applying your CRU settings.

It was so annoying for me to use that monitor for competitive titles such as CS:GO/Valorant because I always felt like I could be getting a better response time with my pixel swtiching but due to the extreme overshoot I only used it at the FAST mode. Until now!

Now I have tested the Extreme mode and it just works PERFECTLY and I'm forever grateful to you for posting this once again.

I've tried to use it using both DisplayPort and HDMI 2.0 but only DISPLAYPORT works because in order to make this whole thing work you need to have G-SYNC compatible mode active and also the Freesync premium activated in the monitor OSD.

I still cannot believe how well it works and I hope it does not harm my monitor because I've been enjoying it since 2020! One of the best monitors ever.

TommioTTV

Post by TommioTTV » 03 Jan 2023, 15:29

xW4LK3R wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 22:38
Hey there! I'm just passing by to say that I've only created my account to make this comment on your post!

First of all, I'd like to appreciate you for all this useful info that you posted and would also like to share my experience with those settings using the Alienware AW2521HF IPS 240Hz monitor via DISPLAYPORT.

All the ghosting that I had when using the overdrive settings neither being Super Fast or Extreme just went away after applying your CRU settings.

It was so annoying for me to use that monitor for competitive titles such as CS:GO/Valorant because I always felt like I could be getting a better response time with my pixel swtiching but due to the extreme overshoot I only used it at the FAST mode. Until now!

Now I have tested the Extreme mode and it just works PERFECTLY and I'm forever grateful to you for posting this once again.

I've tried to use it using both DisplayPort and HDMI 2.0 but only DISPLAYPORT works because in order to make this whole thing work you need to have G-SYNC compatible mode active and also the Freesync premium activated in the monitor OSD.

I still cannot believe how well it works and I hope it does not harm my monitor because I've been enjoying it since 2020! One of the best monitors ever.

Glad to hear it's working for you! I've done a lot more research/experimenting/testing since this post. I managed to fix other issues with the AW2518HF DisplayID 2.0 compatability issues with G-Sync and Motion Blurring using different settings/custom blocks as well as modifying values on the Service Menu. I will update the post when I have time!

niros

Post by niros » 05 Jan 2023, 16:38

I have thw aw2523hf and experience ghosting
I tried to copy your settings but not sure how cru work and how to apply your settings properly

TommioTTV

Post by TommioTTV » 14 Jan 2023, 02:53

Bobo wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 12:12
Seph wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 10:51
I briefly tried it and so far it seems it has eliminated the inverse ghosting quite a bit on the highest overdrive.
I'll try some games today and see how it goes.
are you using hdmi or displayport ?
DisplayID only works with DisplayPort.

Donni

Post by Donni » 14 Apr 2023, 16:16

So If I create and apply the displayID2.0 settings it will automatically substitute/override the old/standard 240hz setting?

TommioTTV

Post by TommioTTV » 28 Apr 2023, 05:34

Donni wrote:
14 Apr 2023, 16:16
So If I create and apply the displayID2.0 settings it will automatically substitute/override the old/standard 240hz setting?
Delete the 239.76Hz under the CTA resolution. Create a DisplayID block under the "Extension Blocks" (so you'll have both a CTA and DisplayID block). Add the new 239.76Hz setting on the original post.

You can try 240Hz as well, but you might get stuttering or flickers/out of range issues. Turning G-Sync On may cause an out-of-bounds refresh rate if using 240Hz instead of 239.76Hz. You will need to boot into safe mode, use a secondary monitor, or try a different DisplayPort port on the back of your GPU to get back into Windows. (If you get a black-screen turning on G-Sync, I recommend trying a different DisplayPort port on the back of your GPU first. This will redetect the Display as a new one so you'll be back on the stock settings using that port).

I also noticed a difference in terms of smoothness when changing the Vertical and Horizontal Range Limits as well as Maximum Pixel Clock.

Vertical Range of 48-239Hz gave much more stable frame sync and less motion blur. 48-241Hz and 48-240Hz range might introduce stutters or frame skips/more motion blur due to your monitor actually trying to compensate for phase (frequency) noise by temporarily going above 240hz.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 28 Apr 2023, 05:58

TommioTTV wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 05:34
Donni wrote:
Delete the 239.76Hz under the CTA resolution. Create a DisplayID block under the "Extension Blocks" (so you'll have both a CTA and DisplayID block). Add the new 239.76Hz setting on the original post.

You can try 240Hz as well, but you might get stuttering or flickers/out of range issues. Turning G-Sync On may cause an out-of-bounds refresh rate if using 240Hz instead of 239.76Hz. You will need to boot into safe mode, use a secondary monitor, or try a different DisplayPort port on the back of your GPU to get back into Windows. (If you get a black-screen turning on G-Sync, I recommend trying a different DisplayPort port on the back of your GPU first. This will redetect the Display as a new one so you'll be back on the stock settings using that port).

I also noticed a difference in terms of smoothness when changing the Vertical and Horizontal Range Limits as well as Maximum Pixel Clock.

Vertical Range of 48-239Hz gave much more stable frame sync and less motion blur. 48-241Hz and 48-240Hz range might introduce stutters or frame skips/more motion blur due to your monitor actually trying to compensate for phase (frequency) noise by temporarily going above 240hz.
I am not sure if I quite understand this thread, at least I tried.

Could you create instructions for an AW2521H? DP1.4/360hz?

Would love to try this out to see if it is any smoother.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

TommioTTV

Post by TommioTTV » 28 Apr 2023, 08:09

Kyouki wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 05:58
TommioTTV wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 05:34
Donni wrote:

I am not sure if I quite understand this thread, at least I tried.

Could you create instructions for an AW2521H? DP1.4/360hz?

Would love to try this out to see if it is any smoother.
AW2521H is a different panel (G-Sync Panel)

fateful

Re: [FIX] Alienware AW2518HF frameskipping/ghosting fix (and possibly all the other AW2XXX series such as the AW2521HF)

Post by fateful » 17 May 2023, 04:09

Incredible content!! I'm wondering if these correct timmings will deal with ghosting on "super fast" overdrive mode even without gsync and on hdmi connection??