Vsync/Gsync not engaging?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Argus

Vsync/Gsync not engaging?

Post by Argus » 09 Aug 2022, 06:39

Hello,

It seems my dell sd2716dg cannot engage vsync/gsync for some reason. Even though I have them both on, I still get nausea inducing micro tearing and stuttering. I've also tried Vsync on Gsync off but I still get bad tearing and stuttering.

I've tried reinstalling different windows versions and unplugging/replugging different cables to no avail. I surprisingly cannot find many similar posts about vsync/gsync not engaging. I'm not sure what's going on.

My friend's laptop monitor has no such issue and in fact even his Vsync off Gsync Off experience has no tearing or stutter at all! (so long as the fps matches refresh rate). His vsync on experience is heavenly smooth and mesmerizing and his laptop does not even have a gsync setting.

I unfortunately don't have a second monitor on hand and I'm not even sure what I could upgrade/replace my current monitor with.

Thanks.

Specs:
EVGA 3080ti FTW3
Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (I have tried other versions as well as windows 8.1)
Dell sd2716dg

Kyouki

Re: Vsync/Gsync not engaging?

Post by Kyouki » 09 Aug 2022, 07:18

Make sure you have display scaling set to GPU and make sure the application is in fullscreen mode. That usually results in 9/10 times Gsync to work. I also add the application I want Gsync in to the Nvidia control panel and make sure Monitor Tech is set to the mode I want it to.

I've found old applications to misbehave and not like it or not properly engaging Gsync all together. I usually verify this on the monitor mode. Or using weird resolutions other then native.
Sadly its up to some applications to update this or properly code themselves for Gsync to engage and function. (its rare, but it exist)

In some cases I also managed to get applications (single player, and some multi player) games to trick into Gsync by grabbing SpecialK and enabling the proper flags in order to get them to engage. (this is normally done with the application code, this way we kinda force it)
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

Argus

Post by Argus » 09 Aug 2022, 08:24

Kyouki wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 07:18
Make sure you have display scaling set to GPU and make sure the application is in fullscreen mode. That usually results in 9/10 times Gsync to work. I also add the application I want Gsync in to the Nvidia control panel and make sure Monitor Tech is set to the mode I want it to.

I've found old applications to misbehave and not like it or not properly engaging Gsync all together. I usually verify this on the monitor mode. Or using weird resolutions other then native.
Sadly its up to some applications to update this or properly code themselves for Gsync to engage and function. (its rare, but it exist)

In some cases I also managed to get applications (single player, and some multi player) games to trick into Gsync by grabbing SpecialK and enabling the proper flags in order to get them to engage. (this is normally done with the application code, this way we kinda force it)

I tried the first two suggestions so far and no luck. Ignoring gsync, the problem I'm having is that even vsync alone has stuttering and tearing on my monitor no matter the application or game. Just comparing my vsync only to my friend's laptop vsync only shows a massive difference in smoothness. I have perfectly stable 144fps and no frametime spikes at all in games yet there is so much stuttering and tearing that I get dizzy. Normally with just vsync only on, this shouldn't the case just like with my friend's laptop. I've tried matching all his settings too right down to the same nvidia driver and windows build yet no luck.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 09 Aug 2022, 08:43

Make sure you read:
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ttings/14/

Generally you wanna cap your frame rate to -3 fps below your max refresh rate.
Could you verify if Gsync engages on the display? There should be a menu listing what mode it is using to confirm it is at least running in that mode. Some monitors require it both in the Nvidia control panel as well as on the display before it'll trick into Gsync mode but in my limited monitor testing 4-5 models I found that it rarely was required.

Argus

Post by Argus » 09 Aug 2022, 10:25

Kyouki wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 08:43
Make sure you read:
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ttings/14/

Generally you wanna cap your frame rate to -3 fps below your max refresh rate.
Could you verify if Gsync engages on the display? There should be a menu listing what mode it is using to confirm it is at least running in that mode. Some monitors require it both in the Nvidia control panel as well as on the display before it'll trick into Gsync mode but in my limited monitor testing 4-5 models I found that it rarely was required.
Yea the gsync display indicator works properly and shows that it's on. I have also tried everything mentioned in the official blurbusters g-sync guide. It's still very stuttery and tearing tho. And besides that, how is it possible my friend who only uses vsync and no gsync, has such a smooth experience? I want to at the very least get that vsync only smooth experience that he has before I even consider re-using gsync. I'm not sure if my monitor has gone bad because it wasn't always like this. This issue showed up around late 2020 and I bought the monitor in 2016.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 09 Aug 2022, 11:10

Yeah it is very strange issue not one I exhibit with my older second monitor PG279Q (also from 2015/16 I think.)
Have you tried other refresh rates, like 120hz? Do you experience the same issues?

Could you also screenshot your Global Nvidia control panel settings and a game (and it's Nvidia settings under 3D settings->programs) where the issue is being displayed?

Some issues like this are hard to troubleshoot and are mostly per system total configuration or something else along the lines. Have you also tried inspecting the performance? By using CapFrameX for instance? You can use the overlay for live monitor and the capture data can be shared so I can also look into the issue of what the program captured. On the overlay you can enable also refresh rate monitoring which is something I recommend next to framerate graph / cpu+gpu usage and go from there I think.

admonsparrow

Post by admonsparrow » 10 Aug 2022, 09:12

Hi mate,

Glad you reached us !

All I'll do :

[0] Fistrly, did you ever tried (Display Drivers Uninstaller [DDU] --> safemode) :

- don't install geforce experience (and if possible prefer using debloated custom driver nvdia) :

here : https://www.techpowerup.com/nvcleanstall/

==> just use recommended setting and you're good to go !

[1] Then, you can also try CRU (Custom Resolution Utility tools) :

- 1. wipe everything (optionally)
- 2. reset.exe
- 3. restart64.exe

==> it's gonna clean your monitor settings from anything suspicious.

Check the range within your screen itsel from CRU !
==> check the GSYNC range can sometimes :
for e.x G7 odyssey (VRR = 60-240).
:cry:

[2] You can also, use "DeviceCleanup.exe" :

- admin launch
- select all
- delet

==> it's gonna delet old device not used.

[3] Can you provide your setting from NIVIDIA control pannel (screen shoot) ?

[4] Latencymoon.exe :

- check average / dpc / isr
- should be correct if clean install (green = passed / wait at least 1min and don't touch anything).

PS : also if can provide anything like a screen or copy/paste the result(s)?
I'll follow this threads :asap: take care and stay moisturized.

FawLn
FawLn

Boomchakadah

Post by Boomchakadah » 13 Aug 2022, 02:33

Try your friend's laptop on your monitor and see if V-sync still works.
VG258QM 280Hz TN (main)| XG2431 240Hz IPS | XL2540K 240Hz TN | XV252Q 1080p 280Hz IPS | XL2546K 1080p 240hz TN | AW2518HF 1080p 240Hz TN | XV240YP 1080p 165Hz IPS | XG2402 1080p 144hz TN | 27GL83A 1440p 144Hz IPS | XL2411P 144Hz TN | XF240H 144Hz TN