Eyestrain, nausea with "all" new monitors?

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
AllisterCreed

Eyestrain, nausea with "all" new monitors?

Post by AllisterCreed » 10 Sep 2022, 06:45

Hi,

I have had a problem with my new monitors for some time. I don't know exactly what the problem is due to. Up until a while ago, I had it so that I could sit in front of the monitor any amount of time and there was no problem.

For some time now, I have not been able to sit in front of some monitors, especially the new ones from the better end of the range, for more than 15 minutes without feeling dry in my eyes, swelling under my eyes or feeling nauseous.

I have been to the ophthalmologist for this. He gave me glasses, but the visual defect is really small and even with glasses the problem still exists.

Here I want to point out that I can work as much as I want on my work laptop, even in dark rooms, and my eyes do not get tired. It is a Thinkbook with the IPS panel set to 60 hz 1920x1080.

I noticed the problem 2 years ago when I bought the LG 27GL850-B NanoIPS. I had symptoms of eye pain for 2 weeks, my vision was blurry. All it took was 5 minutes of looking at the screen. I lowered the brightness. It didn't do anything. Only halving the colours had some effect. Interestingly, my eyes got used to it over time and I could sit as much as I wanted again.

Unfortunately, 2 months ago the same problem occurred. I changed the chair and desk, but the height setting and position of all things and the chair and desk are high end adjustable. They help my spine a lot. Unfortunately despite glasses and not changing any monitor settings - the problem came back and hasn't gone away for 2 months. 2 weeks I had trouble getting my eyes back to normal functioning. I sold the monitor - bought the IIYAMA G-Master GB3461WQSU-B1 34 UWQHD IPS 1ms monitor. The monitor was too big for me. The problem was there, but to a less glaring degree - I could sit for several hours and my eyesight would just remain tired. (I stipulate that I sit with glasses all the time, which are only for the monitor). I returned the monitor.

I then bought a GIGABYTE M27Q X 27" 2560x1440px IPS 240Hz 1 ms monitor. Here I was able to sit similarly longer, but my eyes are still dry and I can't concentrate on work or gaming because I feel discomfort all the time. I decided to buy a monitor simply cheaper, because I noticed that strong, oversaturated colours and high refresh rates do not serve me. At least that's the impression I get. Why?

I decided to buy the iiyama G-MASTER GB2770QSU-B1 27" RED EAGLE 0.5ms 165Hz WQHD Fast IPS monitor. It is cheaper and has a smaller colour range. At 120-165 hz regardless of brightness or contrast settings it irritates my eyesight, causes a warm feeling in my face and distracts me. When the contrast is lowered it is better, but not ideal. This monitor irritates me the least when I set it to 60 hz, disable freesync and the g-sync settings on the graphics card. Then, regardless of brightness or contrast settings, it is not so bad. However, it's still not that comfortable from my laptop and I can't concentrate on working with text. On the other hand, I don't even want to play games or watch movies because I feel constant discomfort.

If you have any questions - I read your forums often and also look for solutions on the internet before writing and no setting on these monitors was perfect. It had an effect, but only for e.g. 20 minutes, and then the eyesight still hurt.

I own hardware with specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
NVIDIA GTX 1660 SUPER

What is the problem? Can you give me some advice?

Could it be a PC fault or a graphics card update?
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 13:50
ADDENUM: Chief Blur Buster Responds...
AllisterCreed wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 06:45
...27GL850-B NanoIPS...
...GIGABYTE M27Q X 27" 2560x1440px IPS 240Hz...
...G-MASTER GB2770QSU-B1 27" RED EAGLE...
Your 3 displays are too identical.

Self diagnosis is required when it comes to gaming monitors.
(as most eye doctors don't know the differences between 2 brands of monitors -- they can create vision issues)

Common attributes suggest doing some additional tests
- Color gamut issue (try a SDR backlight)
- Wavelength issue from the phoshpors (try a non-NanoIPS)
- Antiglare texture (try an Apple display as a test)
- Brightness (try dramatically dimming)
- Polarization sensitivity (try rotating monitor 90 degrees)
- Blue light (Don't use the low blue light mode as it still leaks a lot since LCD black isn't perfectly black; try wearing orange-tinted computer glasses from Amazon/eBay, this gives you a proper physical Low Blue Light mode)

So I am crossposting:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 04:28
There are MANY causes of eyestrain that are not related to flicker or PWM.
- antiglare filter texture
- polarization
- pixel structure
- brightness
- contrast
- color gamut
- blur eyestrain
- stutter eyestrain
- screen too bright relative to environment
- etc

Everybody is different. Some people get more motion blur eyestrain, to the point where strobing reduces eystrain (especially when using VSYNC ON framerate=Hz, especially when reducing strobe crosstalk via refresh rate headroom, e.g. 120fps 120Hz on a 240Hz panel). So your eyestrain won't be the same as others.

Strobing framerate=Hz is often less eyestrain than PWM dimming, because the phantom array effect is the bigger eyestrain cause than the direct flicker itself.

Brightness strain test: Reduce brightness via monitor OSD. If already too low, adjust using NVIDIA Control Panel. Add a bias light behind your monitor so your monitor is not rudely blatantly the brightest object in your vision field.

Blur eyestrain: Turn strobing on and see what happens (optional, but recommended, use framerate=Hz too as strobing amplifies jitters). Temporarily lower your refresh rate, if necessary, since some monitors do poor quality strobing during max Hz, and better quality strobing during lower Hz.

Stutter eyestrain: Test VSYNC ON (or similar framerate=Hz sync technology like RTSS Scanline Sync) or use VRR.

Color gamut strain test: Reduce contrast in NVIDIA Control Panel and see what happens. Or try a dramatically different screen tech (LCD vs OLED, SDR -only 72% NTSC backlight vs HDR capable wide gamut backlight, etc)

Polarization strain test: Most monitors use a rotatable stand, so rotate your monitor 90 degrees (And configure Control Panel for a portrait display) and see if your eyestrain changes on your IPS panel. Some people are eyestrain-sensitive to the light polarization of certain LCDs. Many IPS panels are polarized 90 degrees differently than many TN panels. Also, AUO vs Innolux sometimes have different polarizations.

Some are difficult to test (e.g. antiglare texture test).

Unfortuantely, you will have to self-diagnose, as there are too many eyestrain causes of a monitor.
If you've got a TV or tablet that does not give you eyestrain, please list those displays. By knowing what screen technology, I can give you a screen recommendation that is more successful than most non-esports eye doctors. Screens have hidden vision pitfalls that are a massive rabbit hole that is poorly researched.

Heck, even test a 42" LG OLED TV as a desktop monitor. LG's latest OLEDs are generally all 4K 120Hz with G-SYNC built in. Or try the new 170 Hz ultrawide desktop OLEDs that hit the market.

Displays are imperfect simulations of real life. Remember LCD monitor backlights are often a complex light-emission curve -- no two LCD backlights/edgelights are the same. NanoIPS backlights emit different sharp-peaks than QD backlights than old SDR LED backlights than old CCFL backlights. The shape of the spectra is one of the many "niche" causes of eyestrain.

Your 3 displays are too identical, so you need to dramatically go sideways.

I recommend OLED only simply as a binary-search "cause search" endeavour because it hits practically half of the vision checkboxes. A dramatic sideways technology change eliminates half of the potential issues listed). They don't use antiglare, they have totally different light emission spectra, they have totally different blue light control features (much more complete), they have perfect blacks, they enforce a viewing distance change, etc. So it's like a totally brand new environment for your eyes to experiment with.

If you want to stick to LCD (there are many good reasons, like low lag and ultrahigh Hz, plus lower-MPRT strobing capability in some good models), that means more minor changes that you have to test more clearly, you have to self-diagnose more by testing at least 10+ displays bare minimum, and inform the brands to me, because I need to see more dramatic differences in backlight LED phosphors and LCD antiglare filters. 10+ monitor test minimum, 3 is not enough to self-diagnose if you're only doing a single-line-item self-diagnosis, better to suddenly change a lot of checkboxes simultaneously in this difficult self-diagnosis endeavour.

You always should have vision doctor help like you did, but we can play an additional role fine-tuning because of the hidden rabbit hole of the vision-ergonomic differences between different displays.

Since this is becoming a more popular subtopic, and I've sometimes had success in helping reduce many peoples' "esports monitor eyestrain", I may begin to create a dedicated subforum for "Gaming Monitor Ergonomics (Eyestrain, etc)". But for now...

Anonymous316387

Re: Eyestrain, nausea with "all" new monitors?

Post by Anonymous316387 » 11 Sep 2022, 19:06

AllisterCreed wrote:
Hi,

I have had a problem with my new monitors for some time. I don't know exactly what the problem is due to. Up until a while ago, I had it so that I could sit in front of the monitor any amount of time and there was no problem.

For some time now, I have not been able to sit in front of some monitors, especially the new ones from the better end of the range, for more than 15 minutes without feeling dry in my eyes, swelling under my eyes or feeling nauseous.

I have been to the ophthalmologist for this. He gave me glasses, but the visual defect is really small and even with glasses the problem still exists.

Here I want to point out that I can work as much as I want on my work laptop, even in dark rooms, and my eyes do not get tired. It is a Thinkbook with the IPS panel set to 60 hz 1920x1080.

I noticed the problem 2 years ago when I bought the LG 27GL850-B NanoIPS. I had symptoms of eye pain for 2 weeks, my vision was blurry. All it took was 5 minutes of looking at the screen. I lowered the brightness. It didn't do anything. Only halving the colours had some effect. Interestingly, my eyes got used to it over time and I could sit as much as I wanted again.

Unfortunately, 2 months ago the same problem occurred. I changed the chair and desk, but the height setting and position of all things and the chair and desk are high end adjustable. They help my spine a lot. Unfortunately despite glasses and not changing any monitor settings - the problem came back and hasn't gone away for 2 months. 2 weeks I had trouble getting my eyes back to normal functioning. I sold the monitor - bought the IIYAMA G-Master GB3461WQSU-B1 34 UWQHD IPS 1ms monitor. The monitor was too big for me. The problem was there, but to a less glaring degree - I could sit for several hours and my eyesight would just remain tired. (I stipulate that I sit with glasses all the time, which are only for the monitor). I returned the monitor.

I then bought a GIGABYTE M27Q X 27" 2560x1440px IPS 240Hz 1 ms monitor. Here I was able to sit similarly longer, but my eyes are still dry and I can't concentrate on work or gaming because I feel discomfort all the time. I decided to buy a monitor simply cheaper, because I noticed that strong, oversaturated colours and high refresh rates do not serve me. At least that's the impression I get. Why?

I decided to buy the iiyama G-MASTER GB2770QSU-B1 27" RED EAGLE 0.5ms 165Hz WQHD Fast IPS monitor. It is cheaper and has a smaller colour range. At 120-165 hz regardless of brightness or contrast settings it irritates my eyesight, causes a warm feeling in my face and distracts me. When the contrast is lowered it is better, but not ideal. This monitor irritates me the least when I set it to 60 hz, disable freesync and the g-sync settings on the graphics card. Then, regardless of brightness or contrast settings, it is not so bad. However, it's still not that comfortable from my laptop and I can't concentrate on working with text. On the other hand, I don't even want to play games or watch movies because I feel constant discomfort.

If you have any questions - I read your forums often and also look for solutions on the internet before writing and no setting on these monitors was perfect. It had an effect, but only for e.g. 20 minutes, and then the eyesight still hurt.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
NVIDIA GTX 1660 SUPER

Two things, maybe it's the matte coating finish on monitors who do that and you are too sensitive ( like me for that )
Or it's just you are not compatible with nano ips ( LG have that type of panel ) try to test AUO Optronics Quantum Dots panel like the MSI MAG274QRF-QD or the Asus XG27AQM.

Or simply one thing, when you go to a random store and you see OLED/QLED TV who have Glossy panel, you have this kind of nausea ?

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 12 Sep 2022, 00:03

AllisterCreed wrote:
Hi,

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
NVIDIA GTX 1660 SUPER

I used to be so bad and at one point in my life couldn't use any LED monitors ever till about 2019. Your eye issues could be so many things like the matte finish on the monitors. Blue light, contrast issues, Lighting in your room that you're using your monitor on. My main issues are.

1. Motion blur - I almost can't use any monitor/phone without at least 120hz refresh rate. Anything below my eyes get red. I find OLED far superior as it also has a fast GTG. I have a OLED 120hz phone and 2 X XG270 240hz monitor.
2. PWM flicker - This used to cause me so much strain but my eyes got old and I can't see flicker as much now. OLED flicker can be a problem for me still but most LED flicker doesn't bother me as much. A gaming monitor will be flicker free.
3. Blue light/Contrast - On LED monitors you can only wear orange glasses or turn the brightness down to lower blue light. Blue light filters don't work because you can't use software to solve a hardware issue. Just pull up a complete black screen and watch all that black light bleeding through. I turn the brightness down super low and usually crank the contrast so the monitor is kind of dim but the white back grounds aren't harsh and bright.
4. I love plasma TV's and CRT's and still use them a lot for all my movies and most of my games. If I'm playing a PC game that supports higher refresh rates above 60 I will play it on my gaming monitor. If it caps at 60 I will run it through my plasma TV.
5. The lighting in my room is still halogen lights as LED lights still cause me a lot of trouble. I have found I can tolerate LED's a little better but for extended periods of time I need halogen or Incandescent lights.

I suggest testing a bunch of these things and taking notes as every person's eye's see different things. Different display tech generates very different results for me. I'm really a big fan of OLED and will be buying a 240hz OLED screen as soon as they're affordable.

AllisterCreed

Post by AllisterCreed » 12 Sep 2022, 04:30

Anonymous316387 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 19:06
AllisterCreed wrote:
Hi,

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
NVIDIA GTX 1660 SUPER

Two things, maybe it's the matte coating finish on monitors who do that and you are too sensitive ( like me for that )
Or it's just you are not compatible with nano ips ( LG have that type of panel ) try to test AUO Optronics Quantum Dots panel like the MSI MAG274QRF-QD or the Asus XG27AQM.

Or simply one thing, when you go to a random store and you see OLED/QLED TV who have Glossy panel, you have this kind of nausea ?
Ok. I will try one of them. Yes - it can be the NanoIPS because I checked this new one LG 27GP850-B at the store and it was hurting my eyes after few seconds.

I will check this AUO Optronics Quantum Dots panel like the MSI MAG274QRF-QD or the Asus XG27AQM. Maybe it's the point. I don't know thanks for the advice. In my country I can buy via internet and send product back within two weeks. But I don't know what should i look for. I will try your suggestion. If you have any more advice I will apreciate :)

AllisterCreed

Post by AllisterCreed » 12 Sep 2022, 04:43

Jason38 wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 00:03
AllisterCreed wrote:
Hi,

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
NVIDIA GTX 1660 SUPER

I used to be so bad and at one point in my life couldn't use any LED monitors ever till about 2019. Your eye issues could be so many things like the matte finish on the monitors. Blue light, contrast issues, Lighting in your room that you're using your monitor on. My main issues are.

1. Motion blur - I almost can't use any monitor/phone without at least 120hz refresh rate. Anything below my eyes get red. I find OLED far superior as it also has a fast GTG. I have a OLED 120hz phone and 2 X XG270 240hz monitor.
2. PWM flicker - This used to cause me so much strain but my eyes got old and I can't see flicker as much now. OLED flicker can be a problem for me still but most LED flicker doesn't bother me as much. A gaming monitor will be flicker free.
3. Blue light/Contrast - On LED monitors you can only wear orange glasses or turn the brightness down to lower blue light. Blue light filters don't work because you can't use software to solve a hardware issue. Just pull up a complete black screen and watch all that black light bleeding through. I turn the brightness down super low and usually crank the contrast so the monitor is kind of dim but the white back grounds aren't harsh and bright.
4. I love plasma TV's and CRT's and still use them a lot for all my movies and most of my games. If I'm playing a PC game that supports higher refresh rates above 60 I will play it on my gaming monitor. If it caps at 60 I will run it through my plasma TV.
5. The lighting in my room is still halogen lights as LED lights still cause me a lot of trouble. I have found I can tolerate LED's a little better but for extended periods of time I need halogen or Incandescent lights.

I suggest testing a bunch of these things and taking notes as every person's eye's see different things. Different display tech generates very different results for me. I'm really a big fan of OLED and will be buying a 240hz OLED screen as soon as they're affordable.
1. Maybe it's the point but with the monitors I've used - for me deadly was everything above 60 hz. Yeah I also have OLED phone and i can i use it all the time. Ok I will check this XG270 240hz monitor.
2. I believe the monitors I've used was flicker free. Maybe I'm wrong but then please fix my mistake :D
3. I have this glasses you are always talking about on this forum and my prescription glasses with filter. It's not the reason. With the last iiyama i had to set 60 contrast and 65 brightness and it was however fine for 2-3h. But at night it was horrible even in good light behind screeen and in the room. With low brightness and high contrast iiyama was hurting my eyes.
4. I love plasma's too but it is hard to get it in my country this time.
5. From the time I have this problems with eyestrain I have really good working place. I can sit with my laptop all the time but not with these monitors.

Thanks a lot! If you have any suggestions about the monitors I can try or what may be the reason except this matte or glossy coats. I will check it.

AllisterCreed

Post by AllisterCreed » 12 Sep 2022, 04:47

Anonymous316387 wrote:
AllisterCreed wrote:
Hi,

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
NVIDIA GTX 1660 SUPER

I have new question MSI MAG274QRF-QD - is also matte coating. Am I right? Which monitors have glossy coatings to try? Iiyama and Gigabyte that I have tried were not NanoIPS.

Anonymous316387

Post by Anonymous316387 » 12 Sep 2022, 09:32

AllisterCreed wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 04:47
Anonymous316387 wrote:
AllisterCreed wrote:
Hi,

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
NVIDIA GTX 1660 SUPER

I have new question MSI MAG274QRF-QD - is also matte coating. Am I right? Which monitors have glossy coatings to try? Iiyama and Gigabyte that I have tried were not NanoIPS.
Actually zero gaming monitor have glossy coating unfortunately...

Eve have a glossy monitor but it's 4k and this brand are not very good.

So, wait until glossy monitor comes out or tried another panel ( because i've had some headache with LG panel Nano IPS too )

And when you buy a monitor, you need a monitor which does not have flickering ( you can check that on Rtings.com )

Have a nice day.

I'm hope you can find the solution of your problem, I'm pretty sure your problem is the matte coating on monitors because I have trouble too with that but not that much like you.

AllisterCreed

Post by AllisterCreed » 12 Sep 2022, 09:53

Anonymous316387 wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 09:32
AllisterCreed wrote:
Anonymous316387 wrote:
AllisterCreed wrote:
Hi,

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
NVIDIA GTX 1660 SUPER

So, wait until glossy monitor comes out or tried another panel ( because i've had some headache with LG panel Nano IPS too )

And when you buy a monitor, you need a monitor which does not have flickering ( you can check that on Rtings.com )

Have a nice day.

I'm hope you can find the solution of your problem, I'm pretty sure your problem is the matte coating on monitors because I have trouble too with that but not that much like you.
Please let me ask a question about MSI MAG274QRF-QD.You have one. How about working on this monitor? I'm working a lot with the Google docs and I've read something about that somebody had a problem with the whites. They were so shiny that he couldn't work on it. And i 've read that the colorimetr is must have with this monitor. Is it true? Thanks for advice because probably I'm gonna try this one on my own.

Anonymous316387

Post by Anonymous316387 » 12 Sep 2022, 22:00

AllisterCreed wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 09:53
Anonymous316387 wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 09:32
AllisterCreed wrote:
Anonymous316387 wrote:

Have a nice day.

Please let me ask a question about MSI MAG274QRF-QD.You have one. How about working on this monitor? I'm working a lot with the Google docs and I've read something about that somebody had a problem with the whites. They were so shiny that he couldn't work on it. And i 've read that the colorimetr is must have with this monitor. Is it true? Thanks for advice because probably I'm gonna try this one on my own.
In fact, i've sold this shitt* monitor, it's shitty for me, not for all people but for me it is.

Check my review here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10261

But for work on colors only is good but yes, on white, it's not very comfortable, it's so strange, this screen on all colors are not so bright but on white...it's too bright, so hilarious.

So the only two both choice for you is the new AUO Optronics Quantum dots panel which is not a LG NANO IPS or SHARP IPS panel.

you find this panel on Asus XG27AQM / Acer XV272UX....

Boomchakadah

Post by Boomchakadah » 13 Sep 2022, 01:35

AllisterCreed wrote:
I decided to buy a monitor simply cheaper, because I noticed that strong, oversaturated colours and high refresh rates do not serve me. At least that's the impression I get. Why?
All those monitors are wide-gamut monitors. Have you tried using them with an sRGB clamp? That should fix the oversaturated colors.
VG258QM 280Hz TN (main)| XG2431 240Hz IPS | XL2540K 240Hz TN | XV252Q 1080p 280Hz IPS | XL2546K 1080p 240hz TN | AW2518HF 1080p 240Hz TN | XV240YP 1080p 165Hz IPS | XG2402 1080p 144hz TN | 27GL83A 1440p 144Hz IPS | XL2411P 144Hz TN | XF240H 144Hz TN