Eyestrain, nausea with "all" new monitors?

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
AllisterCreed

Re: Eyestrain, nausea with "all" new monitors?

Post by AllisterCreed » 13 Sep 2022, 05:11

Anonymous316387 wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 22:00
AllisterCreed wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 09:53
Anonymous316387 wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 09:32
AllisterCreed wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 04:47

I have new question MSI MAG274QRF-QD - is also matte coating. Am I right? Which monitors have glossy coatings to try? Iiyama and Gigabyte that I have tried were not NanoIPS.
Actually zero gaming monitor have glossy coating unfortunately...

Eve have a glossy monitor but it's 4k and this brand are not very good.

So, wait until glossy monitor comes out or tried another panel ( because i've had some headache with LG panel Nano IPS too )

And when you buy a monitor, you need a monitor which does not have flickering ( you can check that on Rtings.com )

Have a nice day.

I'm hope you can find the solution of your problem, I'm pretty sure your problem is the matte coating on monitors because I have trouble too with that but not that much like you.
Please let me ask a question about MSI MAG274QRF-QD.You have one. How about working on this monitor? I'm working a lot with the Google docs and I've read something about that somebody had a problem with the whites. They were so shiny that he couldn't work on it. And i 've read that the colorimetr is must have with this monitor. Is it true? Thanks for advice because probably I'm gonna try this one on my own.
In fact, i've sold this shitt* monitor, it's shitty for me, not for all people but for me it is.

Check my review here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10261

But for work on colors only is good but yes, on white, it's not very comfortable, it's so strange, this screen on all colors are not so bright but on white...it's too bright, so hilarious.

So the only two both choice for you is the new AUO Optronics Quantum dots panel which is not a LG NANO IPS or SHARP IPS panel.

you find this panel on Asus XG27AQM / Acer XV272UX....
Asus XG27AQM this one is avaiable but expensive. If it is better option to work on white colour with text - i will try it. I will also test MSI MAG274QRF-QD in store. Acer XV272UX is no longer avaible at my country as I've checked that.

If I can ask a question I have this Thinkbook and it is really fine. No eyestrain. Do you have any suggestion with maybe not gaming monitor which will be good for working and sometimes watching films/gaming? I'm asking this question because I'm looking for accurate choice for me for about 3 months and i didn't find any solution. Is there any monitor on market similar to my Thinkbook integrated one? I don't know if the Lenovo ThinkVision P27q-20 would be similiar?

AllisterCreed

Post by AllisterCreed » 13 Sep 2022, 05:23

Boomchakadah wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 01:35
AllisterCreed wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 06:45
I decided to buy a monitor simply cheaper, because I noticed that strong, oversaturated colours and high refresh rates do not serve me. At least that's the impression I get. Why?
All those monitors are wide-gamut monitors. Have you tried using them with an sRGB clamp? That should fix the oversaturated colors.
Yes. Yes. I checked them on the various settings available. Most of the things you describe on the forum, as I've been struggling with this for 2-3 months. Including sRGB. Unfortunately, it doesn't give me much difference. As a rule, changing the colors gives me short term relief. On the LG, on the other hand, I noticed at one point when I was working on text on white that I could just see something vibrate gently on the white. Then I noticed the same thing on a monitor from Gigabyte. Flashes of red and green colors from the white. It's hard for me to describe it, lest I say some stupid thing, because I don't have much experience with it. On gaming monitors with higher refresh rates, my eye sometimes catches sort of "waves"?

On LG I used the R 39 G 39 B 38 setting for a long time, when the default is 50 50 50.

On the Iiyamas my eyes fatigue the slowest, and I know that they have a narrower color range than, for example, the LG I used and the Gigabyte, but both of these monitors on sRGB still tired me out. LG after 5 minutes strong headache. Gigabyte after 1.5h nausea and then headache. When I reduced the refresh rate to 60hz in the nvidia settings on each of these monitors - the unpleasantness seemed to decrease to some extent.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Sep 2022, 13:50

AllisterCreed wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 06:45
...27GL850-B NanoIPS...
...GIGABYTE M27Q X 27" 2560x1440px IPS 240Hz...
...G-MASTER GB2770QSU-B1 27" RED EAGLE...
Your 3 displays are too identical.

Self diagnosis is required when it comes to gaming monitors.
(as most eye doctors don't know the differences between 2 brands of monitors -- they can create vision issues)

Common attributes suggest doing some additional tests
- Color gamut issue (try a SDR backlight)
- Wavelength issue from the phoshpors (try a non-NanoIPS)
- Antiglare texture (try an Apple display as a test)
- Brightness (try dramatically dimming)
- Polarization sensitivity (try rotating monitor 90 degrees)
- Blue light (Don't use the low blue light mode as it still leaks a lot since LCD black isn't perfectly black; try wearing orange-tinted computer glasses from Amazon/eBay, this gives you a proper physical Low Blue Light mode)

So I am crossposting:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 04:28
There are MANY causes of eyestrain that are not related to flicker or PWM.
- antiglare filter texture
- polarization
- pixel structure
- brightness
- contrast
- color gamut
- blur eyestrain
- stutter eyestrain
- screen too bright relative to environment
- viewing distance
- etc

Everybody is different. Some people get more motion blur eyestrain, to the point where strobing reduces eystrain (especially when using VSYNC ON framerate=Hz, especially when reducing strobe crosstalk via refresh rate headroom, e.g. 120fps 120Hz on a 240Hz panel). So your eyestrain won't be the same as others.

Strobing framerate=Hz is often less eyestrain than PWM dimming, because the phantom array effect is the bigger eyestrain cause than the direct flicker itself.

Brightness strain test: Reduce brightness via monitor OSD. If already too low, adjust using NVIDIA Control Panel. Add a bias light behind your monitor so your monitor is not rudely blatantly the brightest object in your vision field.

Blur eyestrain: Turn strobing on and see what happens (optional, but recommended, use framerate=Hz too as strobing amplifies jitters). Temporarily lower your refresh rate, if necessary, since some monitors do poor quality strobing during max Hz, and better quality strobing during lower Hz.

Stutter eyestrain: Test VSYNC ON (or similar framerate=Hz sync technology like RTSS Scanline Sync) or use VRR.

Color gamut strain test: Reduce contrast in NVIDIA Control Panel and see what happens. Or try a dramatically different screen tech (LCD vs OLED, SDR -only 72% NTSC backlight vs HDR capable wide gamut backlight, etc)

Viewing distance: Try sitting twice as far away as a test. If it helps eyestrain, try doubling the size of the display (get a TV) and doubling the view distance. Same angular view. See if that helps. Some people now use TVs as computer monitors (e.g. 4K 120hz G-SYNC LG OLED TVs have become popular gaming monitors for the 42", 48" and 55" sizes -- usually pushed to the very back of a meter-deep desk, or wall-mounted, even move desk slightly back).

Blue light: Try orange-tinted computer glasses commonly available on Amazon and eBay. They're non-vision-correcting, just like sunglasses, except designed for computer use. This is superior and fuller than monitor based low-blue-light feature, since that doesn't help blacks and dim colors at all, which will often still be fairly bluish, creating eyestrain issues in things like dungeon games that is unfixed by the Low Blue Light feature.

Polarization strain test: Most monitors use a rotatable stand, so rotate your monitor 90 degrees (And configure Control Panel for a portrait display) and see if your eyestrain changes on your IPS panel. Some people are eyestrain-sensitive to the light polarization of certain LCDs. Many IPS panels are polarized 90 degrees differently than many TN panels. Also, AUO vs Innolux sometimes have different polarizations.

Some are difficult to test (e.g. antiglare texture test).

Unfortuantely, you will have to self-diagnose, as there are too many eyestrain causes of a monitor.
If you've got a TV or tablet that does not give you eyestrain, please list those displays. By knowing what screen technology, I can give you a screen recommendation that is more successful than most non-esports eye doctors. Screens have hidden vision pitfalls that are a massive rabbit hole that is poorly researched.

Also NanoIPS generally doesn't strobe as well, due to the red KSF phosphor issue. So if you diagnose your eyestrain to motion blur nausea, then you need to use a different screen and backlight technology that has better motion blur reducing capabilities. 120Hz-240Hz sample-and-hold still has lots of motion blur, you need >1000fps 1000Hz (sample and hold) or a good strobing feature (flicker like CRT) to kill the display motion blur. If you have a modern VR headset (e.g. PlayStation, Quest, Rift, etc) and you never get eyestrain from them, then you know: Possible motion blur eyestrain, because all modern VR headsets are strobing (flicker-based motion blur reduction).

Heck, even test a 42" LG OLED TV as a desktop monitor. LG's latest OLEDs are generally all 4K 120Hz with G-SYNC built in. Or try the new 170 Hz ultrawide desktop OLEDs that hit the market.

Displays are imperfect simulations of real life. Remember LCD monitor backlights are often a complex light-emission curve -- no two LCD backlights/edgelights are the same. NanoIPS backlights emit different sharp-peaks than QD backlights than old SDR LED backlights than old CCFL backlights. The shape of the spectra is one of the many "niche" causes of eyestrain.

Your 3 displays are too identical, so you need to dramatically go sideways.

I recommend OLED only simply as a binary-search "cause search" endeavour because it hits practically half of the vision checkboxes. A dramatic sideways technology change eliminates half of the potential issues listed). They don't use antiglare, they have totally different light emission spectra, they have totally different blue light control features (much more complete), they have perfect blacks, they enforce a viewing distance change, etc. So it's like a totally brand new environment for your eyes to experiment with.

If you want to stick to LCD (there are many good reasons, like low lag and ultrahigh Hz, plus lower-MPRT strobing capability in some good models), that means more minor changes that you have to test more clearly, you have to self-diagnose more by testing at least 10+ displays bare minimum, and inform the brands to me, because I need to see more dramatic differences in backlight LED phosphors and LCD antiglare filters. 10+ monitor test minimum, 3 is not enough to self-diagnose if you're only doing a single-line-item self-diagnosis, better to suddenly change a lot of checkboxes simultaneously in this difficult self-diagnosis endeavour.

You always should have vision doctor help like you did (to at least find common root causes of your vision). But once that's solved and you still have eyestrain -- we can play an additional supplemental role fine-tuning because of the hidden rabbit hole of the vision-ergonomic differences between different displays.

Since this is becoming a more popular subtopic, and I've sometimes had success in helping reduce many peoples' "esports monitor eyestrain", I may begin to create a dedicated subforum for "Gaming Monitor Ergonomics (Eyestrain, etc)". But for now...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AllisterCreed

Post by AllisterCreed » 13 Sep 2022, 17:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 13:50
Thanks. I was formally waiting for your advice, because as I'm reading your responses for other guys problems. They're always at point. So...

Color gamut issue (try a SDR backlight) - HDR is more tiring for my eyes. When i accidentaly set on HDR by RE:Village my eyes sored as hell. I didn'nt know that game can turn it on because i clicked something at begining. After 15 minutes I was totaly done. It was on 27GL850-B.
- Wavelength issue from the phoshpors (try a non-NanoIPS) - Which monitor do you suggest then? I will buy and try any suggestion. I have Thinkbook laptop and its display is perfect. Is it a trail or something for me? which display will be similar then? I lowered red colour on 27GL850-B in nvidia panel and i believe it helped a bit.
- Antiglare texture (try an Apple display as a test) - I have Apple 12 mini and for my eyes it is perfect. Apple Displays are expensive but if you advice me so I can buy it. If it will help.
- Brightness (try dramatically dimming) - doesn't help. I've tried these displays at 12 or 20 brightness. Still the same problem
- Polarization sensitivity (try rotating monitor 90 degrees) - still the same problem.
- Blue light (Don't use the low blue light mode as it still leaks a lot since LCD black isn't perfectly black; try wearing orange-tinted computer glasses from Amazon/eBay, this gives you a proper physical Low Blue Light mode). - I have one. I can say that sometimes more yellow/orange colorus are more aggresive for me than without them. I also have problem with that i sometimes have to put down my normal glasses because my face is tired.

If you've got a TV or tablet that does not give you eyestrain, please list those displays. By knowing what screen technology, I can give you a screen recommendation that is more successful than most non-esports eye doctors. Screens have hidden vision pitfalls that are a massive rabbit hole that is poorly researched.

I have Apple 12 mini - it's perfect. I have got Thinkbook laptop. I can sit in front of it all day. With or without glasses.

OLED's are pretty expensive - especially monitors in my country they cost something about 3 or 2 my payment from work. But if you will tell me what should i test - I will do it. Formally I'm looking for something that will work.

Since this is becoming a more popular subtopic, and I've sometimes had success in helping reduce many peoples' "esports monitor eyestrain", I may begin to create a dedicated subforum for "Gaming Monitor Ergonomics (Eyestrain, etc)". But for now... That's great idea i think.

So please give me a hint on how to differentiate this issue and what model should I order next in that case, but one that is different from the 3 that you indicated are simply the same?

I don't insist on an LCD or even a gaming monitor. It's just that in this situation I don't know what might be good or what I should order next. Thank you very much for your advice.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Sep 2022, 18:36

The problem is that cheaper wide-gamut LCD gaming monitors are pretty much alike in ergonomics if you don't want to go suddenly sideways (e.g. OLED).

If you're buying FastIPS, they have a limited choice of backlight types, and every single one of them created problems. So you gotta avoid FastIPS probably (until new backlight types are introduced for them). Some of the backlight types creates occasional (small % of audience) eye strain, and you are one of them, unfortunately.

Try rewinding to used monitors (using year-2018 technology) which won't be as good motion quality but it would be more dramatically different from NanoIPS and NanoIPS clones. Or try shopping TN or VA monitor (temporarily skip this generation's wide-gamut IPS). Or buy a TV as a monitor -- shop the television aisle.

If you're trying to save money, I recommend you to purchase something non-NanoIPS non-QD (or even non-IPS but you said you're happy with the Apple IPS panel, which uses a very different backlight LED phosphors of a more comfortable spectra) -- in order to be sufficiently dramatically different than the three displays you've tried. But there's a low lying apple: Orange tinted computer glasses or sunglasses (non-polarized)
  • Test a cheap LCD television as a monitor. (Temporarily put chair 1 meter in front of your existing TV, use computer, see how eyes react). The problem is glossy monitors are hard to find unless you go Apple. Go to the TV store, buy their cheapest 1080p TV, call it a day. May need to configure "Aspect" in TV menus to "1:1" or "Just Scan", and then run ClearType tuner (just in case of BGR pixel pattern), adjust brightness WAY down (you're sitting close to a TV for chrissakes), but then modern 1080p or 4K televisions looks great as a monitor.
  • Test a used monitor / older high-Hz monitor (pre-NanoIPS pre-QD).
    The old 2018-model 1440p 144Hz/165Hz IPS are mainly discontinued but you might find one for cheap. They all use a different backlight spectrum and somewhat duller colors, but may solve your issue.
  • Test a new VA or TN monitor. They certainly have their respective cons, but solved vision issues overrides all.
    Maybe test a non-QD one, to be sufficiently different from the QD IPS you had issues with. QD is lovely but their spectra can cause issues for a small fraction of human population.
Where I live, I can sometimes find a previous-year LG OLED for cheaper than a brand new Apple monitor. Too bad if that is not the case for you. Even an old LG C7 OLED is just fine, but avoid C6 era (burns in more easily).

Key words for you is non-QD non-NanoIPS backlight. And maybe non-antiglare (aka glossy). I'm not going to say model names, the focus is on the aggregate of "common esports monitor eyestrain line items".

It's too bad we've got limited choice of monitor backlight technologies and monitor antiglare-vs-glossy technologies for eyestrain-sensitive people like you...

Some people even go as far as to unpeel the antiglare filter from their monitor (google) as they are so desparate. It's a small market to a major monitor manufacturer, but even 1 million people out of 100 million people, is still a lot of small-time youtubers that produces HOWTOs. I don't include this information, but it would be cheaper than an Apple monitor to buy 2 super-cheap gaming monitors and destroy one in practice, while finally succeeding on the 2nd monitor. The problem (chicken and egg) is we don't know if your problem is related to the antiglare film (almost all identical on all high-Hz 1440p FastIPS), or related to the light spectra of the monitor.

The brand new Dell QD-OLED ultrawide is only $1300 USD which is cheaper than Apple's cheapest monitor. I can also get a clearance-sale LG OLED 48" or 55" for the same price too. But if it's priced unobtanium in your country, ouch.

Not everyone is afflicted by vision issues from specific attributes of a gaming monitor.

Without further data (on your self-diagnosis), I can't help too much further than this, but hopefully this narrows down what you decide to buy next. Maybe bring your laptop to a friend's and compute in front of their TV set (over HDMI cable) for about 2 hours. As part of your vision-diagnosis journey. Post here with your results, as well as the TV model (take a smartphone photo of the label on the back of the TV; the model is usually in the fine print next to serial number) -- Be creative on how you save money.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AllisterCreed

Post by AllisterCreed » 18 Sep 2022, 13:05

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 18:36
The problem is that cheaper wide-gamut LCD gaming monitors are pretty much alike in ergonomics if you don't want to go suddenly sideways (e.g. OLED).

If you're buying FastIPS, they have a limited choice of backlight types, and every single one of them created problems. So you gotta avoid FastIPS probably (until new backlight types are introduced for them). Some of the backlight types creates occasional (small % of audience) eye strain, and you are one of them, unfortunately.

Try rewinding to used monitors (using year-2018 technology) which won't be as good motion quality but it would be more dramatically different from NanoIPS and NanoIPS clones. Or try shopping TN or VA monitor (temporarily skip this generation's wide-gamut IPS). Or buy a TV as a monitor -- shop the television aisle.

If you're trying to save money, I recommend you to purchase something non-NanoIPS non-QD (or even non-IPS but you said you're happy with the Apple IPS panel, which uses a very different backlight LED phosphors of a more comfortable spectra) -- in order to be sufficiently dramatically different than the three displays you've tried. But there's a low lying apple: Orange tinted computer glasses or sunglasses (non-polarized)
  • Test a cheap LCD television as a monitor. (Temporarily put chair 1 meter in front of your existing TV, use computer, see how eyes react). The problem is glossy monitors are hard to find unless you go Apple. Go to the TV store, buy their cheapest 1080p TV, call it a day. May need to configure "Aspect" in TV menus to "1:1" or "Just Scan", and then run ClearType tuner (just in case of BGR pixel pattern), adjust brightness WAY down (you're sitting close to a TV for chrissakes), but then modern 1080p or 4K televisions looks great as a monitor.
    The old 2018-model 1440p 144Hz/165Hz IPS are mainly discontinued but you might find one for cheap. They all use a different backlight spectrum and somewhat duller colors, but may solve your issue.
  • Test a new VA or TN monitor. They certainly have their respective cons, but solved vision issues overrides all.
    Maybe test a non-QD one, to be sufficiently different from the QD IPS you had issues with. QD is lovely but their spectra can cause issues for a small fraction of human population.
Where I live, I can sometimes find a previous-year LG OLED for cheaper than a brand new Apple monitor. Too bad if that is not the case for you. Even an old LG C7 OLED is just fine, but avoid C6 era (burns in more easily).

Key words for you is non-QD non-NanoIPS backlight. And maybe non-antiglare (aka glossy). I'm not going to say model names, the focus is on the aggregate of "common esports monitor eyestrain line items".

It's too bad we've got limited choice of monitor backlight technologies and monitor antiglare-vs-glossy technologies for eyestrain-sensitive people like you...

Some people even go as far as to unpeel the antiglare filter from their monitor (google) as they are so desparate. It's a small market to a major monitor manufacturer, but even 1 million people out of 100 million people, is still a lot of small-time youtubers that produces HOWTOs. I don't include this information, but it would be cheaper than an Apple monitor to buy 2 super-cheap gaming monitors and destroy one in practice, while finally succeeding on the 2nd monitor. The problem (chicken and egg) is we don't know if your problem is related to the antiglare film (almost all identical on all high-Hz 1440p FastIPS), or related to the light spectra of the monitor.

The brand new Dell QD-OLED ultrawide is only $1300 USD which is cheaper than Apple's cheapest monitor. I can also get a clearance-sale LG OLED 48" or 55" for the same price too. But if it's priced unobtanium in your country, ouch.

Not everyone is afflicted by vision issues from specific attributes of a gaming monitor.

Without further data (on your self-diagnosis), I can't help too much further than this, but hopefully this narrows down what you decide to buy next. Maybe bring your laptop to a friend's and compute in front of their TV set (over HDMI cable) for about 2 hours. As part of your vision-diagnosis journey. Post here with your results, as well as the TV model (take a smartphone photo of the label on the back of the TV; the model is usually in the fine print next to serial number) -- Be creative on how you save money.
Okey, I have done in connection with your recommendations a little research on what I can afford in terms of budget and what is available present in my country. The 34" Alienware you mention is a thing of beauty, but I can't afford it - the cost of my two paychecks.

OLED TV - I checked it is ok. It doesn't hurt my eyes. I also checked the tcl 43p725 and it is ok. But a TV as a monitor is out of the question. i have a desk that is too small, and i just bought a bigger one and can no longer return it. Besides, I have too small an apartment for a bigger one. 32 inches is the max. 27 inches on the other hand is the perfect size.

The monitor I currently use is a laptop monitor
Lenovo thinkbook 15 g2 - what similar equivalent could I choose? This is what I would be guided by.

Below I am sending a list of monitors that I have searched and are available. Please advise me which one does not make sense for me to order:
Lenovo ThinkVision P27q-20 office model 60 hz older matrix
HP OMEN X 27 - TN variant different matrix,
PHILIPS Momentum 3000 27M1N3200VA 27" - VA matrix
Samsung QLED 32" Odyssey G7 C32G75TQSR - VA, but I have read that it hurts the eyes because they are somehow close to nanoIPS
ASUS ProArt PA278CV - office, I would prefer the above lenovo.

Other options:
LG 27UL550-W 27
Samsung Smart M7 S32BM701UU
LG UltraFine 32UN880-B

Do I have any option? Maybe similar to my Lenovo Thinkbook?

AllisterCreed

Post by AllisterCreed » 13 Oct 2022, 10:57

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 18:36

Chief!! We've got this. I didn't bought OLED because I have a lot of static screens when I'm working. But i have ordered Samsung NEO QN91B. At the beginning it have burned my eyes but I've turned of HDR, set brightness at 10/50 and contrast 40/50. I will try also 120hz but now i have only 60hz cause I didn't wanted to buy better HDMI cable before I've tested TV.

Can you tell now why I don't have problems with this? I know - it's VA panel but maybe other things are important?

wired41

Post by wired41 » 15 Oct 2022, 12:43

Eyestrain with newer IPS monitors is a big reason why I went TN and haven't looked back. Yes, I do miss out on colors, but that's okay.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Oct 2022, 17:56

Switching panel technologies sometimes solves eyestrain -- there are many complex reasons why this happens, e.g. forced change to backlight type, or change to the color spectrum that creates lower deep-blue light, or different antiglare/screendoor texture, or change in polarization (90 degrees).

The problem is this hugely varies from person to person. I don't get eyestrain from TN, VA or IPS. There are just so many screen-related eyestrain causes (far beyond just blue light and just PWM dimming). I even met people who get eyestrain from TN but don't get eyestrain from IPS. So there are converse-type situations too!

Often this is outliers not revealed in beta testing (e.g. sub-10% and sub-1% population) -- but unfortunately 1% of 1 million is still 10,000 people.

For niche eyestrain issues, the best progress if you fail with settings and other things such as computer glasses -- is to dramatically change screen technology in multiple categories concurrently (different color gamut, different backlight type or no backlight (OLED), different panel type, different display size and resolution, etc). This reduce the number of dice roll gambles you have to do, and reduces number of product returns until success.

AllisterCreed

Post by AllisterCreed » 17 Oct 2022, 07:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 17:56
Switching panel technologies sometimes solves eyestrain -- there are many complex reasons why this happens, e.g. forced change to backlight type, or change to the color spectrum that creates lower deep-blue light, or different antiglare/screendoor texture, or change in polarization (90 degrees).

The problem is this hugely varies from person to person. I don't get eyestrain from TN, VA or IPS. There are just so many screen-related eyestrain causes (far beyond just blue light and just PWM dimming). I even met people who get eyestrain from TN but don't get eyestrain from IPS. So there are converse-type situations too!

Often this is outliers not revealed in beta testing (e.g. sub-10% and sub-1% population) -- but unfortunately 1% of 1 million is still 10,000 people.

For niche eyestrain issues, the best progress if you fail with settings and other things such as computer glasses -- is to dramatically change screen technology in multiple categories concurrently (different color gamut, different backlight type or no backlight (OLED), different panel type, different display size and resolution, etc). This reduce the number of dice roll gambles you have to do, and reduces number of product returns until success.
In this case, can I ask you some furthermore questions?

Perhaps my observations will prove worthwhile for someone reading this who has a similar problem.

I find the screen mildly irritating anyway, but it's not a feeling like with e.g. NanoIPS, i.e. after 15 minutes a very big headache, dryness and pain behind the eyes. Here it is simply dryness of the eyes.

I reduced the brightness to 7/50 during the day, contrast to 40/50 and sharpness to 9/10. I turned off HDR, set gamma 2.2, warm colour tone 2. It started to get better, but not perfect.

Now in the NVIDIA panel I've reduced digital glow to 40% and colours green to 45% and blue to 42%. Overall the green is very aggressive.

1 Is it possible that I am also colour sensitive?
2. question if my problem has reduced from previous monitors such that I can sit all day and only my eyes pinch, will they eventually stop because I get used to it?
3 I am looking for a 4k/120 hz HDMI cable. If I set the refresh rate higher, won't it suddenly feel more uncomfortable to use?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)