Is this a G-Sync Issue or Monitor ?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Exoriya

Is this a G-Sync Issue or Monitor ?

Post by Exoriya » 20 Sep 2022, 22:37

I ordered the new Alienware OLED monitor, and just recently after doing a Factory Reset I came across a bit of "Stutter, Flicker, Brightness? issues.

I narrowed it down to it being G-Sync having it enabled for Fullscreen & Windowed. I am on the latest Windows 11 pro, 3080 ti, 9900k cpu.

Only happens with the Fullscreen & Windowed option checked. Is this still a G-Sync problem or perhaps more of a monitor issue?

Here is a video I took. https://vimeo.com/751902823

Hope this helps :(

jorimt

Re: Is this a G-Sync Issue or Monitor ?

Post by jorimt » 20 Sep 2022, 22:45

Exoriya wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 22:37
Looks like typical OLED VRR flicker to me. G-SYNC is probably applying to the animated background wallpaper with fullscreen/windowed mode active.

It's one of the reasons I recommend having G-SYNC fullscreen enabled globally, and using Nvidia Inspector to set G-SYNC borderless/windowed per desired app instead. See entry #5 of my Closing FAQ.

For future reference, current-gen OLED is prone to flickering from frametime variances with VRR active, especially in the darker shades.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Exoriya

Post by Exoriya » 20 Sep 2022, 22:48

jorimt wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 22:45
Exoriya wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 22:37
Looks like typical OLED VRR flicker to me. G-SYNC is probably applying to the animated background wallpaper with fullscreen/windowed mode active.

It's one of the reasons I recommend having G-SYNC fullscreen enabled globally, and using Nvidia Inspector to set G-SYNC borderless/windowed per desired app instead. See entry #5 of my Closing FAQ.

For future reference, current-gen OLED is prone to flickering from frametime variances with VRR active, especially in the darker shades.
@jorimt

* Not sure if I replied, I dont see it. Unless a moderator needs to approve. Then sorry for double posting.

In regards to what you said, I have it set to Fullscreen and as mentioned It doesn't do it. Only when Fullscreen & Windowed is checked.

I had just noticed it today when downloading Civ 5 and using my mouse over the application like in the video. All other programs / applications work just fine. However, you could also be right due to the animated background, I need to test it again but I think it happened even without the background. But will test and give an update.

Funny thing is though, with Fullscreen * Windowed enabled and by using HDMI on my OLED LG tv, the issue isn't apparent as well. So no idea. z-z

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 20 Sep 2022, 23:03

Exoriya wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 22:48
If your monitor has a real-time refresh/framerate meter, activate it; if it is the Civ window, you should see it plummeting the refresh rate when focused/unfocused.

Again, some non-game apps will cause that on the desktop if G-SYNC is in fullscreen/windowed mode by going into VRR mode themselves.
Exoriya wrote:
* Not sure if I replied, I dont see it. Unless a moderator needs to approve. Then sorry for double posting.
Your first few posts are manually moderated (we get a lot of spam bots).

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Exoriya

Post by Exoriya » 20 Sep 2022, 23:16

jorimt wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 23:03
Exoriya wrote:
If your monitor has a real-time refresh/framerate meter, activate it; if it is the Civ window, you should see it plummeting the refresh rate when focused/unfocused.

Again, some non-game apps will cause that on the desktop if G-SYNC is in fullscreen/windowed mode by going into VRR mode themselves.
Exoriya wrote:
Your first few posts are manually moderated (we get a lot of spam bots).
Alright. Thanks for the information. As you said, some non-game apps will cause it. So ultimately, it's just primarily a G-Sync thing? Not a faulty monitor?

Cause I still have the 30days available to return/replace it if it is the monitor. However, from the information I had read from you it is more likely a g-sync thing that doesn't play along well with some apps in both windowed / fullscreen.

I see, sorry haha. I replied so quick and switched tabs after and came back refreshing and didnt see my reply so I just assumed. XD

Exoriya

Post by Exoriya » 20 Sep 2022, 23:57

@jorimt

A little update. I exited out of Wallpaper Engine as well enabling G-Sync Fullscreen/Windowed followed by the monitor's built-in Frame-Rate.

It first shown 175hz as it should, then dropped down to 10hz once I hover around the application. So I can only guess its just a G-Sync thing, and not a faulty monitor. (Thankfully and Hopefully) xD.

Also, I downloaded Nvidia Profile Inspector, and done what you suggested but it still drops to 10hz once I edited the profile. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong. Mind checking? If you want. Thanks <3

https://imgur.com/a/uSZYdg3

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 21 Sep 2022, 08:20

Exoriya wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 23:57
It first shown 175hz as it should, then dropped down to 10hz once I hover around the application. So I can only guess its just a G-Sync thing, and not a faulty monitor. (Thankfully and Hopefully) xD.
It's more like an OS thing reacting to a G-SYNC thing.

It's not your particular monitor. It happens on G-SYNC native and G-SYNC Compatible, be it LCD or OLED. Some apps were simply not intended for VRR operation and behave badly with it engaged, hence my recommendation to not use G-SYNC windowed mode on the desktop.
Exoriya wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 23:57
Also, I downloaded Nvidia Profile Inspector, and done what you suggested but it still drops to 10hz once I edited the profile. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong. Mind checking? If you want. Thanks <3
From your screenshot, it looks like you still have G-SYNC in windowed/fullscreen mode globally.

First, set it to fullscreen globally as seen on the left side of the below image, then set the Civ V profile (refresh it after making the NVCP change) as seen on the right side of the image:

Exoriya

Post by Exoriya » 21 Sep 2022, 16:28

@jorimt

Thanks for all the help. I believe I have a better understanding with this situation. I am relieved that it's not a monitor issue, because I had to send back a LG monitor that i spent 1300 on for dead pixels, to decide to get this Alienware OLED which so far I love. I don't really see any downsides yet for it other than long-term.

So I have my G-Sync enabled for Fullscreen only, and using Nvidia Inspector how you suggested or how you personally do it. Which, seems easy enough and replaced "Application Mode" to Fullscreen/Windowed and then set the "Global Mode" to Fullscreen only.

Like this: https://imgur.com/a/VPeqhCt

If this is correct, then I'll just go about doing it with what games i play that needs it etc. Again, thanks for the help.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 21 Sep 2022, 19:56

Exoriya wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 16:28
So I have my G-Sync enabled for Fullscreen only, and using Nvidia Inspector how you suggested or how you personally do it. Which, seems easy enough and replaced "Application Mode" to Fullscreen/Windowed and then set the "Global Mode" to Fullscreen only.

Like this: https://imgur.com/a/VPeqhCt

If this is correct, then I'll just go about doing it with what games i play that needs it etc. Again, thanks for the help.
Per profile Nvidia Inspector settings will only affect that profile's app, not the the desktop or any other app, so you can leave "G-SYNC - Global Mode" unset/default in the Civ 5 profile.

"G-SYNC - Application Mode" "Fullscreen and Windowed" is enough for G-SYNC to engage in Civ V when it's set to borderless in-game.

I only have it and global mode both set to the same thing in my FAQ to be extra safe (I'll probably update the capture to just have application mode set to fullscreen/windowed at some point).

Exoriya

Post by Exoriya » 26 Sep 2022, 00:07

@jorimt

Hey, sorry to bring this post up again. It's happening for the game "Phasmophobia"..

I have g-sync set to Fullscreen only. Did not touch any Nvidia Profile Inspector settings, and when walking around with it dark, you can clearly see as well eye-straining the pixels or light pulsing in the dark areas.

Turning off g-sync is the only remedy to it.

*Edit*
So, i guess by clicking on "restore" settings, and changing it to maximum power and turning "on" low latency. Then going back into game. Its working fine now.

Maybe it was just becuz i installed it and opened it, and i had to re-start the game for things to save? idk