Help Needed! - random new bad motion blur/artifacts overnight

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MrBands

Help Needed! - random new bad motion blur/artifacts overnight

Post by MrBands » 21 Sep 2022, 11:47

Hello!

Last night I was attempting to improve my monitors clarity and ensuring that I was getting the best out of what I had. I stumbled across these forums and as well as watching some youtube videos on the topic I spent a few hours on it. I didn't notice a massive difference by the time I was finished, but everything seemed to be working. This morning I got up, opened a game called 'Trackmania' and noticed massive motion blur when turning in the game. I am unsure of how well this can be seen in my phone recording, but it is drastically different to how it was before. This is not Trackmania exclusive, it appears to be an issue everywhere. I usually play FPS games and I have found this issue quite unplayable and makes me feel a bit nauseous.

My monitor is a BenQ XL2430T 144hz which I have had for several years without issue. I use a GTX 980 as a graphics card and have an intel i7-6700K CPU.

The things I remember messing with last night that may have played a role:
- I uninstalled and reinstalled GeForce Experience as my driver wouldn't update
- I enabled Blur Reduction on my monitor settings
- I changed 'Picture Mode' from 'FPS1' to 'Standard' on my monitor settings.
- I changed some NVIDIA control panel settings but I do not remember which ones
- I used the 'BenQ Strobe Utility' tool on the BlurBusters.com website

The issue in looks as followed:
phpBB [video]

I am unsure how clear this looks in the video, but everything is blurry whilst the camera moves and any text that was previously easily readable is now completely blurry/unreadable during camera movement. When looking closely I can notice artifacts around text, for example when driving past black text on a white background I can see random misplaced pixels of black around the text as it moves.

This is how the strobe crosstalk test looked:
phpBB [video]

There is noticeable flickering.

And here is the inversion Artifacts tests:
phpBB [video]

Since having this issue this morning I have:
- Restarted my PC and Monitor
- Checked all related wire connections
- Ensured drivers and windows are up to date
- Ensured I don't have any in game motion blur enabled
- Reset NVIDIA Control Panel settings to default and messed with each one to see if anything fixed it
- Factory reset my monitor and changed all settings one by one that were different from default to see if anything fixed it
- Double checked refresh rate etc
- Googled for a similar issue for about three hours with no luck

Please note: I know very little about monitors in general so when reading through the forums I have at times not really understood exactly what people are talking about, so I apologise if I've done anything stupid or fail to understand things.

I'm out of ideas as I don't really feel like I know what I'm doing, so any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Boomchakadah

Re: Help Needed! - random new bad motion blur/artifacts overnight

Post by Boomchakadah » 23 Sep 2022, 04:14

Did you run pixel inversion tests before or after you noticed that issue?
VG258QM 280Hz TN (main)| XG2431 240Hz IPS | XL2540K 240Hz TN | XV252Q 1080p 280Hz IPS | XL2546K 1080p 240hz TN | AW2518HF 1080p 240Hz TN | XV240YP 1080p 165Hz IPS | XG2402 1080p 144hz TN | 27GL83A 1440p 144Hz IPS | XL2411P 144Hz TN | XF240H 144Hz TN