120 FPS or less with G-Sync not as smooth as 140 FPS with a 144Hz monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
vaxe

120 FPS or less with G-Sync not as smooth as 140 FPS with a 144Hz monitor

Post by vaxe » 24 Sep 2022, 12:59

Hello, I have had the following "problem" for about two years. I would like to say before that the whole thing can also be normal. I really need your help.

I do not know exactly how to explain it. I'll give it a try. When I play games I usually always have 140 FPS the whole time. But then there are games where my FPS suddenly drops to 120, 110 or even 100 FPS. It just doesn't feel really smooth at that moment. There are no freeze frames, but the whole thing somehow feels very spongy at that moment.

It didn't used to be like that, but I started paying attention to it two years ago and since then it's been extremely noticeable.

I have already bought different monitors and a completely new PC. In total, I've had this on 3 different PCs now. So it can't be due to the setup. Unfortunately, many people tell me that this is not normal, although I can not imagine where there is a fault?

I have V-Sync on in the NVIDIA control panel and a FPS limit of 140 FPS. If I only have G-Sync on and don't turn on V-Sync, I still get tearing. But many say that this is normal and G-Sync only works completely with V-Sync and FPS limit.

Unfortunately, this ruins my mood when playing, because I always think that something doesn't fit. I hope that I have just explained this quite well. Games just don't run smoothly when I have 120 or less instead of 140 FPS.

I have this for example in games like Warzone, the new MW2 beta and other games.

Do you know this "problem" or is it normal that I notice these FPS differences so much? I mean, my Hz number also changes because of G-Sync.

I would be very happy about help, thank you!

PC:
- GeForce RTX 3080 EVGA FTW3 Ultra V2 LHR
- Intel Core i9-12900K
- Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
- Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 5600
- Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT AiO
- 9x Corsair QL120 RGB
- Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Screen:
ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (27" 144 Hz)

jorimt

Re: 120 FPS or less with G-Sync not as smooth as 140 FPS with a 144Hz monitor

Post by jorimt » 24 Sep 2022, 13:31

vaxe wrote:
24 Sep 2022, 12:59
Hello, I have had the following "problem" for about two years. I would like to say before that the whole thing can also be normal. I really need your help.

I do not know exactly how to explain it. I'll give it a try. When I play games I usually always have 140 FPS the whole time. But then there are games where my FPS suddenly drops to 120, 110 or even 100 FPS. It just doesn't feel really smooth at that moment. There are no freeze frames, but the whole thing somehow feels very spongy at that moment.
That sounds like render queue-latency due to an increase of pre-rendered frames from maxed GPU usage, which would have nothing directly to do with G-SYNC. As such, I've moved this topic to general.

To address it, use Reflex in supported games, or set a manual FPS limit that prevents the GPU usage from maxing.

I'd also add that lower frame/refresh rates will always feel worse than higher ones, regardless of G-SYNC/render queue, since there are less updates on-screen per second, and there's no avoiding that other than a higher sustained framerate.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)